Canceled My Service Today

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Directv e mailed me yesterday and told me that the cancellation fee is a flat 150.00 if you are not satisfied. They would not even give me a 30 period to see if the hr20 sucks as bad as everyone says it does as well as the hd lite. .

I had the same exact conversation with them yesterday. The CSR I talked to said that was a good idea and she had never heard of it before and was going to note the request, but I told her that doesn't really help me right now.

The best part is not only do they make you pay for the new equipment like the HR20, but the commit you to the lock up, and the unit is not even yours to keep.

My dish captures the signal in the 90's consistently, so that is wrong. We have BIG summer storms in the midwest, and when it snows I have to get out and scrape the dish off. The difference between rain fade on a dish on the side of your house and a main dish at the cable company is, oh, 100 feet? Come on now.

Then may I suggest a bigger dish?.The formula is the bigger the reflector the less the rain fade.In all honesty it does work.:up

Several satellite dish owners have went to a larger reflector and have been pleased with the results.:eek:

I think you missed my point. Cable outages are NOT related to rain fade or snow due to the size of their dishes.

You are right - but this also gets discussed often here. To me the outages I used to get (and my neighbors STILL get) after storms (and after cars hit utility poles) causes WAY MORE disruption than any I have experienced in my 5 years on satellite.

There is no doubt that over the course of a year (here where we have lots of old trees, and heavy traffic, and overhead, exposed cables - those with cable have WAY MORE annual downtime than either D* or E* subs.

To the end user, does it matter WHAT causes your down time, or is it how often and for how long it goes and then stays down? With the dish, even when it goes down, it is never more than a few minutes, with cable it is has been as long a 3 days in some instances.

Finorik :haha

You are right - but this also gets discussed often here. To me the outages I used to get (and my neighbors STILL get) after storms (and after cars hit utility poles) causes WAY MORE disruption than any I have experienced in my 5 years on satellite.

There is no doubt that over the course of a year (here where we have lots of old trees, and heavy traffic, and overhead, exposed cables - those with cable have WAY MORE annual downtime than either D* or E* subs.

To the end user, does it matter WHAT couses your down time, or how often and for how long it goes and then stays down. With the dish, even when it goes down, it is never more than a few minutes, with cable it is has been as long a 3 days in some instances.
No, all I was saying is that I have experienced more service disruptions with dbs than with cable. I realize that I am one of the lucky ones who have a decent cable co. I wish I could get the pic quality with dbs that I can with my cable, I am a sports fan and have subscribed to sunday ticket and mlb for years. I want one company who doesn't give and take. I do get my rsn's in hd, so that is a plus for cable.

I had the same exact conversation with them yesterday. The CSR I talked to said that was a good idea and she had never heard of it before and was going to note the request, but I told her that doesn't really help me right now.

The best part is not only do they make you pay for the new equipment like the HR20, but the commit you to the lock up, and the unit is not even yours to keep.

Well would you pay $800. for a new one? See the lease fee is considered the way to go also if anything goes wrong with the unit they replace it.;)

Well would you pay $800. for a new one? See the lease fee is considered the way to go also if anything goes wrong with the unit they replace it.;)

If they made me pay $800 for anything I would leave to get the better deal, thats just ridiculous. But I understand your point.

Ok, then why do the cable companies not charge 300 up front on top of a monthly lease fee? If my dvr takes a poop I can take a 15 min ride and get a new one myself. My brother has gone thru 3 hr 20's since they have been out. True, direct replaces them, depending on the shipping method you could be out of luck for a few days. And again, what does the 300 up front get you?

No, all I was saying is that I have experienced more service disruptions with dbs than with cable. I realize that I am one of the lucky ones who have a decent cable co. I wish I could get the pic quality with dbs that I can with my cable, I am a sports fan and have subscribed to sunday ticket and mlb for years. I want one company who doesn't give and take. I do get my rsn's in hd, so that is a plus for cable.

The fact remains your service disruptions are caused by weather in your area.Which can be solved with a larger reflector.I think change is good,sometimes we need change to realize what we had.So I wish you the best!.:hatsoff:

Ok, then why do the cable companies not charge 300 up front on top of a monthly lease fee? If my dvr takes a poop I can take a 15 min ride and get a new one myself. My brother has gone thru 3 hr 20's since they have been out. True, direct replaces them, depending on the shipping method you could be out of luck for a few days. And again, what does the 300 up front get you?

The combination lease fee and commitment helps a company recover their loss.The cable companies make up the difference in higher subscriptions and fees.:)

The fact remains your service disruptions are caused by weather in your area.Which can be solved with a larger reflector.I think change is good,sometimes we need change to realize what we had.So I wish you the best!.:hatsoff:
Dude, you are not making sense. Directv has no other "larger" dishes than the one I have. So I am not following you on that one. Do you want me to switch to a c band?
If you have the largest dish offered and you still experience rain fade, thats the way it goes. Like I said, I am in the 90's, sometimes 96 on a sunny day. My dad lives in southwest fla, he has all kinds of problems with rain fade there. It is what it is. And by the way, in no way am I saying that rain fade happens to me all the time, very rarely, but more than my cable going out. That was my original point. A slow moving thunder storm can and will knock me out for an hour at times. I don't know where in cali you are, but my guess is that these are not concerns for you.

Last edited:
The combination lease fee and commitment helps a company recover their loss.The cable companies make up the difference in higher subscriptions and fees.:)
Again, thats your opinion and you are entitled to it. I pay under 130/mo for all digital, every channel offered including the hd pack, 3 HD DVR's, all movie channels, and I can watch a whole season of curb or the sopranos with on demand. And I get roadrunner with that price as well.
Go to direct's site and try to build a system around 3 hd dvr's and all the channels I get and then please post the results. And let me know if your start up cost is under 1000.00.
Heck, Dish Network will not allow you to lease 2 hd dvr's. Go figure that one out. People have been lucky and have done it, but as a rule, no.

Dude, you are not making sense. Directv has no other "larger" dishes than the one I have. So I am not following you on that one. Do you want me to switch to a c band?
If you have the largest dish offered and you still experience rain fade, thats the way it goes. Like I said, I am in the 90's, sometimes 96 on a sunny day. My dad lives in southwest fla, he has all kinds of problems with rain fade there. It is what it is. And by the way, in no way am I saying that rain fade happens to me all the time, very rarely, but more than my cable going out. That was my original point. A slow moving thunder storm can and will knock me out for an hour at times. I don't know where in cali you are, but my guess is that these are not concerns for you.

Directv doesn't that is correct.But other companies do which you would have to buy.Your right I have D*'s triple multisat dish and have no weather related problems.But if I did I would go with a least a 30"or larger dish.The nice thing is KU band is not Cband.With Cband you needed a 10'dish.KU and KA you can get by
with a smaller dish because the signal has more power.Most cable companies run 30' dishes there might be some 40' but the only reason they do is the possible number of subscribers they have.

Well that's it.So if you ever want to come back to satellite that's how you help eliminate rain fade.Good Luck!:hatsoff:

Again, thats your opinion and you are entitled to it. I pay under 130/mo for all digital, every channel offered including the hd pack, 3 HD DVR's, all movie channels, and I can watch a whole season of curb or the sopranos with on demand. And I get roadrunner with that price as well.
Go to direct's site and try to build a system around 3 hd dvr's and all the channels I get and then please post the results. And let me know if your start up cost is under 1000.00.
Heck, Dish Network will not allow you to lease 2 hd dvr's. Go figure that one out. People have been lucky and have done it, but as a rule, no.

Sounds like a good deal for you.Especially if it's the same price after 6 months or 1 year.Don't know what you do with 3 HD DVRs but what the heck some subscribers needs do relate to cable.Good Luck!.:hatsoff:

You pay under $130 a month for 3 DVR's HD all movies and RR which means you have Time Waner. I don't see how? The base package is $80 then $38 for movies $9 for HD & $15 for HD-DVR box.

And you say you have 3 DVR's and they charge for each one.

What are these several basic channels that directv has now that fios doesn't?

Don't use just FIOS. Compare all of the providers. For me, I chose D* because they have YES, Dish doesn't. My local cable has it, but I prefer D* for better pq and package pricing. Also, D* and local cable have YES in hd. Uverse, which is just being installed in my town, only has it in sd. FIOS isn't in my town, not yet anyway.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)