Cancelled service & DTV won't reactive SD receivers for WINBACK offer

realbbbb

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2014
CFB Gifs
I cancelled service ~2 weeks ago (Choice, SD only, no DVR on the old pricing structure, i.e. Choice = $88/month, additional tv's $7/month, Whole Home HD + DVR-$25/month).

I called 2 days to see if there were any good WINBACK offers and was originally offered a deal of $60/month (Choice) + RSN Fee + Sales Tax + NFL ST Max (Free). The CSR kept talking about how the normal price was $110/month (which is the price for the new all-in packages with no HD & DVR fees, up to 4 tv's, etc.). I explained to him that I was on the old pricing and he came back with the same promo ($60/month after only a $28/month discount vs the $50/month discount on the all-in pricing). I then spoke to a supervisor who eventually took off another $5 (autopay & paperless billing), but said I had to do a new installation & receive new HD equipment (Genie + Mini) for my 2 tv's. This was for a 1-year contract. She said all the install & monthly fees would be covered for HD, DVR, additional tv fee for 1 tv (since the first tv is free under the old pricing) and I would stay on the "old" pricing, but that the system would not let her reactivate my old SD receivers (D12-100). She also offered a $200 Visa CG.

Is it true that SD receivers can't be reactivated to restart service for WINBACK offers? Or even in general without any type of special offer?

Call Dish. Not to convert you to the enemy, but you might get a better offer. And check your local cableco.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys App. For now.

Directv hasn't allowed new customers to get SD receivers for several years now. You'll have to go HD now if you want to get back with Directv, no choice.

Reactions: dishrich
Looks like your bluff to cancel back fired

How? If I didn't cancel I'd be paying $110/month for SD service. The WINBACK offer I got over the phone was for HD + DVR (2 tv's) for ~$53/month after the $200 GC is factored in ($68/month without). How is that backfiring?

How? If I didn't cancel I'd be paying $110/month for SD service. The WINBACK offer I got over the phone was for HD + DVR (2 tv's) for ~$53/month after the $200 GC is factored in ($68/month without). How is that backfiring?

So then I don't get why you are complaining... You are getting an offer for half the price, with new equipment, and you want crappy old SD equipment instead? Why in the world???

I’m talking about being to activate SD equipment and continue where u where at before.

The discounts are likely with a new agreement

So then I don't get why you are complaining... You are getting an offer for half the price, with new equipment, and you want crappy old SD equipment instead? Why in the world???

Because now I have to setup a new installation appointment and waste time with that instead of just calling in being able to have my current SD receivers activated in ~10 mins. I don't really care about HD service and/or DVR since I have my own DVR. Plus, they said they would waive the HD/DVR fees for this one year agreement but who knows what happens after that.

You must have really small TV's, or are you actually still using tubes? The SD channels look horrid on my 50" TV, enough to give me a headache. Blurry like having a bad RX in your glasses...

Also, isn't everything pretty much in letterbox now with the SD receivers? So you'd have to use zoom mode on a HDTV. Or have black bars on a tube...

I have no problem with the companies no longer supporting, installing or turning on old SD receivers. And actually the goal should be all channels in HD.
And I do think in a wayt the plan backfired, You probably could have kept the receivers on with the $28 discount and no new equipment. Perhaps not as much of a discount but those SD receivers seem to be your main must have so cancelling ended any chance of that. Aside from that seems to me Directv is still offering a decent offer for the new equipment with your only need to be home one day. Had you not cancelled you would still have the choice to keep your SD receiver.
If you cancel with DISH you can no longer activate even their older HD receivers let alone SD ones so not surprised Directv won't.

If you only want no DVR maybe streaming would be a better choice if you have the bandwidth?

Because now I have to setup a new installation appointment and waste time with that instead of just calling in being able to have my current SD receivers activated in ~10 mins. I don't really care about HD service and/or DVR since I have my own DVR. Plus, they said they would waive the HD/DVR fees for this one year agreement but who knows what happens after that.

Well that's what happens when you CANCEL. Directv has NEVER let former customers call in and have their old equipment reactivated without an installer visit - when they let customers who cancel keep their equipment it is because they consider it too old and will never let anyone use it ever again. If that was your intention when you canceled you could have asked here beforehand and we could have told you in advance it won't happen like you wanted.

After a year everything will go to list price, including the HD/DVR fees. You could have avoided those if you had taken the free upgrade to HD offer Directv no doubt sent you at some point and traded in your SD receivers for HD receivers. Now you're just another new customer, and you are getting a fairly standard offer of preferential pricing the first year and list pricing in the second year and beyond. Why would they give you a break on the HD/DVR fees? You are a new customer, not an upgrade.

If you don't like it, there are a ton of other providers out there but none of them are going to give you any special break because you were a long time SD only customer of Directv, either.

I have no problem with the companies no longer supporting, installing or turning on old SD receivers. And actually the goal should be all channels in HD.
And I do think in a wayt the plan backfired, You probably could have kept the receivers on with the $28 discount and no new equipment. Perhaps not as much of a discount but those SD receivers seem to be your main must have so cancelling ended any chance of that. Aside from that seems to me Directv is still offering a decent offer for the new equipment with your only need to be home one day. Had you not cancelled you would still have the choice to keep your SD receiver.
If you cancel with DISH you can no longer activate even their older HD receivers let alone SD ones so not surprised Directv won't.

If you only want no DVR maybe streaming would be a better choice if you have the bandwidth?

Dish is just dumb. If it’s MPEG4 8psk I don’t see what the issue is, unless the kangaroo crap has some special chip we don’t know about.

Or it could be the maintenance of the code base.....

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys App. For now.