Cancelling DirectTV HD Service..

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

DJ_Mo

Original poster
Jul 15, 2009
Mississippi
I currently have DirecTV HD Service with DVR. I have noticed most of the HD channels just show a 4:3 aspect ratio of the same programming as the SD. And I wanted to save a little money, so I decided to drop the HD service.

I called to cancel DirectTV HD service, and the customer service rep informed me I would have to purchase a standard DVR receiver ($130+ installation charges) to do so. :rant: I only have 5 months left till my commitment with them ends.

It seems my choices are limited:

A) Keep DirectTV HD service for 5 months and then purchse a standard DVR?
B) Keep DirectTV HD service for 5 months and cancel service to join DishNetwork (DishNetwork has a package that suits my needs for $10 less per month, and they dont charge for extra receivers)
C) Stay with DirectTV maybe with the home there HD service will be better.

What other options do I have? And what options would be best (I want to save money and dont care about HD)

The cheapest option is to continue to pay the $10 monthly fee.

Canceling will cost you $20/month remaining.

Getting a new receiver may extend your commitment another 24 months!

I currently have DirecTV HD Service with DVR. I have noticed most of the HD channels just show a 4:3 aspect ratio of the same programming as the SD. And I wanted to save a little money, so I decided to drop the HD service.

I called to cancel DirectTV HD service, and the customer service rep informed me I would have to purchase a standard DVR receiver ($130+ installation charges) to do so. :rant: I only have 5 months left till my commitment with them ends.

It seems my choices are limited:

A) Keep DirectTV HD service for 5 months and then purchse a standard DVR?
B) Keep DirectTV HD service for 5 months and cancel service to join DishNetwork (DishNetwork has a package that suits my needs for $10 less per month, and they dont charge for extra receivers)
C) Stay with DirectTV maybe with the home there HD service will be better.

What other options do I have? And what options would be best (I want to save money and dont care about HD)

most of the HD channels show 4:3?? LOL

I have HD from DTV and 90% are widescreen HD.

You don't need to wait until your commitment is up to exchange for a standard DVR. You will start a new 24 month commitment, however. The price should be $99 plus shipping and tax so $130 sounds about right.

The Directv 12 satellite will be launched later this year and they will hopefully add many more HD channels. As far as the HD channels showing 4:3 programming, that is happening at the stations and affects Dish Network and cable, as well.

Dish also charges a monthly fee for extra receivers, although they have a few models which with dual outputs, one of which is SD.

hey

I have an SD DVR and want to upgrade it to an HD DVR ( I already have one). Will D* let you switch?

I have an SD DVR and want to upgrade it to an HD DVR ( I already have one). Will D* let you switch?

Of course they will, the issue is how much will they charge you for the new HD DVR;)

Best bet is to just call them, say something like you just got a new HD TV, need a new HD DVR but the $199 cost is too high, especially when cable doesn't hit you with an upfront charge, what can they do to help reduce the cost. Depending on how much you spend/month and how long you've been a customer you might get it for $99 or for free, don't know until you call and ask. If you don't like the 1st answer say thanks, hang up and call back in a few hours, you might get a different answer.

Of course they will, the issue is how much will they charge you for the new HD DVR;)

Best bet is to just call them, say something like you just got a new HD TV, need a new HD DVR but the $199 cost is too high, especially when cable doesn't hit you with an upfront charge, what can they do to help reduce the cost. Depending on how much you spend/month and how long you've been a customer you might get it for $99 or for free, don't know until you call and ask. If you don't like the 1st answer say thanks, hang up and call back in a few hours, you might get a different answer.

I guess I should have said,...will they let you trade. If someone has a hd dvr and wants to trade me for my sd dvr.

Seems to me that it is more of a configuration issue on your receiver and/or TV. Check your settings before jumping the gun on getting rid of the receiver or changing your service.

According to whereishd.com, the number is considerably less than 90%. Several channels are rated as "HD Ready".

And a lot of it depends on time of day. Since I don't watch TV during the day, I am most concerned with primetime HD and premium channel HD. The main premium HD channels (don't go off on DirecTV not having HBO 8 HD, the ocho) are overwhelmingly HD content. The Viacom channels are largely not HD for most shows, even in primetime. Some Discovery networks do an odd zoom/crop. Since I don't watch the Viacom networks (MTV, VH1, etc.), I am happy with the amount of HD.

If I were watching reruns on smaller HD cable channels at 10 am on a Tuesday, I would not be shocked to find that it might be upconverted 4:3 content. I also wouldn't care.

Why assume it's D* fault?

They re-broadcast the content that the broadcaster's offer. If the broadcaster is only providing 4:3 or stretch-O-vision content then that's what D* delivers to you.

I do understand the monetary aspect of your concern, I just want you to understand that your frustration over content should be focused on the right point.

Personally I'm frustrated with some of the content also, but I feel the benefit and content that is presented in HD far outweighs the lack of HD.

Just my $.02 worth.

Plus going to Dish you still will be getting the same HD channels showing 4:3 content most of the time! Your problem is not with D* but with the broadcasters. They are the ones upconverting SD into an HD feed.

I called to cancel DirectTV HD service, and the customer service rep informed me I would have to purchase a standard DVR receiver ($130+ installation charges) to do so.

Others here & on other boards have said that now if you have an HD box & want to cancel HD access, they WILL let you do this w/out having to swap the box out. They will simply disable ALL HD on the receiver(s) on your account & lock it down to 480p. They actually started doing this in all MPEG4 local markets, where you MUST have an HD box to get any locals. (D* is discontinuing the R22, so there will be no more new MPEG4 SD boxes made)

Try calling again & playing CSR roulette & see if you can get them to do this...

Allow me to elucidate on behalf of my fellow D* Installers -

We (D*) are like a freeway - we pave the road between space and your house.

Broadcasters are like cars - they drive on the freeway.

You have a complaint with the manufacturers of the cars.

So why do you blame the guys who laid the asphalt?

Allow me to elucidate on behalf of my fellow D* Installers -

We (D*) are like a freeway - we pave the road between space and your house.

Broadcasters are like cars - they drive on the freeway.

You have a complaint with the manufacturers of the cars.

So why do you blame the guys who laid the asphalt?
Sorry, but this was a very poor analogy. :rolleyes:

I think what he was trying to say is that its not directv's fault, its not the tv's fault, its the asphalt. ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts