Cancelling DirectTV HD Service..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DJ_Mo

Original poster
Jul 15, 2009
Mississippi
I currently have DirecTV HD Service with DVR. I have noticed most of the HD channels just show a 4:3 aspect ratio of the same programming as the SD. And I wanted to save a little money, so I decided to drop the HD service.

I called to cancel DirectTV HD service, and the customer service rep informed me I would have to purchase a standard DVR receiver ($130+ installation charges) to do so. :rant: I only have 5 months left till my commitment with them ends.

It seems my choices are limited:

A) Keep DirectTV HD service for 5 months and then purchse a standard DVR?
B) Keep DirectTV HD service for 5 months and cancel service to join DishNetwork (DishNetwork has a package that suits my needs for $10 less per month, and they dont charge for extra receivers)
C) Stay with DirectTV maybe with the home there HD service will be better.

What other options do I have? And what options would be best (I want to save money and dont care about HD)

The cheapest option is to continue to pay the $10 monthly fee.

Canceling will cost you $20/month remaining.

Getting a new receiver may extend your commitment another 24 months!

I currently have DirecTV HD Service with DVR. I have noticed most of the HD channels just show a 4:3 aspect ratio of the same programming as the SD. And I wanted to save a little money, so I decided to drop the HD service.

I called to cancel DirectTV HD service, and the customer service rep informed me I would have to purchase a standard DVR receiver ($130+ installation charges) to do so. :rant: I only have 5 months left till my commitment with them ends.

It seems my choices are limited:

A) Keep DirectTV HD service for 5 months and then purchse a standard DVR?
B) Keep DirectTV HD service for 5 months and cancel service to join DishNetwork (DishNetwork has a package that suits my needs for $10 less per month, and they dont charge for extra receivers)
C) Stay with DirectTV maybe with the home there HD service will be better.

What other options do I have? And what options would be best (I want to save money and dont care about HD)

most of the HD channels show 4:3?? LOL

I have HD from DTV and 90% are widescreen HD.

You don't need to wait until your commitment is up to exchange for a standard DVR. You will start a new 24 month commitment, however. The price should be $99 plus shipping and tax so $130 sounds about right.

The Directv 12 satellite will be launched later this year and they will hopefully add many more HD channels. As far as the HD channels showing 4:3 programming, that is happening at the stations and affects Dish Network and cable, as well.

Dish also charges a monthly fee for extra receivers, although they have a few models which with dual outputs, one of which is SD.

hey

I have an SD DVR and want to upgrade it to an HD DVR ( I already have one). Will D* let you switch?

I have an SD DVR and want to upgrade it to an HD DVR ( I already have one). Will D* let you switch?

Of course they will, the issue is how much will they charge you for the new HD DVR;)

Best bet is to just call them, say something like you just got a new HD TV, need a new HD DVR but the $199 cost is too high, especially when cable doesn't hit you with an upfront charge, what can they do to help reduce the cost. Depending on how much you spend/month and how long you've been a customer you might get it for $99 or for free, don't know until you call and ask. If you don't like the 1st answer say thanks, hang up and call back in a few hours, you might get a different answer.

Of course they will, the issue is how much will they charge you for the new HD DVR;)

Best bet is to just call them, say something like you just got a new HD TV, need a new HD DVR but the $199 cost is too high, especially when cable doesn't hit you with an upfront charge, what can they do to help reduce the cost. Depending on how much you spend/month and how long you've been a customer you might get it for $99 or for free, don't know until you call and ask. If you don't like the 1st answer say thanks, hang up and call back in a few hours, you might get a different answer.

I guess I should have said,...will they let you trade. If someone has a hd dvr and wants to trade me for my sd dvr.

Seems to me that it is more of a configuration issue on your receiver and/or TV. Check your settings before jumping the gun on getting rid of the receiver or changing your service.

According to whereishd.com, the number is considerably less than 90%. Several channels are rated as "HD Ready".

And a lot of it depends on time of day. Since I don't watch TV during the day, I am most concerned with primetime HD and premium channel HD. The main premium HD channels (don't go off on DirecTV not having HBO 8 HD, the ocho) are overwhelmingly HD content. The Viacom channels are largely not HD for most shows, even in primetime. Some Discovery networks do an odd zoom/crop. Since I don't watch the Viacom networks (MTV, VH1, etc.), I am happy with the amount of HD.

If I were watching reruns on smaller HD cable channels at 10 am on a Tuesday, I would not be shocked to find that it might be upconverted 4:3 content. I also wouldn't care.

Why assume it's D* fault?

They re-broadcast the content that the broadcaster's offer. If the broadcaster is only providing 4:3 or stretch-O-vision content then that's what D* delivers to you.

I do understand the monetary aspect of your concern, I just want you to understand that your frustration over content should be focused on the right point.

Personally I'm frustrated with some of the content also, but I feel the benefit and content that is presented in HD far outweighs the lack of HD.

Just my $.02 worth.

Plus going to Dish you still will be getting the same HD channels showing 4:3 content most of the time! Your problem is not with D* but with the broadcasters. They are the ones upconverting SD into an HD feed.

I called to cancel DirectTV HD service, and the customer service rep informed me I would have to purchase a standard DVR receiver ($130+ installation charges) to do so.

Others here & on other boards have said that now if you have an HD box & want to cancel HD access, they WILL let you do this w/out having to swap the box out. They will simply disable ALL HD on the receiver(s) on your account & lock it down to 480p. They actually started doing this in all MPEG4 local markets, where you MUST have an HD box to get any locals. (D* is discontinuing the R22, so there will be no more new MPEG4 SD boxes made)

Try calling again & playing CSR roulette & see if you can get them to do this...

Allow me to elucidate on behalf of my fellow D* Installers -

We (D*) are like a freeway - we pave the road between space and your house.

Broadcasters are like cars - they drive on the freeway.

You have a complaint with the manufacturers of the cars.

So why do you blame the guys who laid the asphalt?

Allow me to elucidate on behalf of my fellow D* Installers -

We (D*) are like a freeway - we pave the road between space and your house.

Broadcasters are like cars - they drive on the freeway.

You have a complaint with the manufacturers of the cars.

So why do you blame the guys who laid the asphalt?
Sorry, but this was a very poor analogy. :rolleyes:

I think what he was trying to say is that its not directv's fault, its not the tv's fault, its the asphalt. ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)