Cancelling HD Package

Status
Please reply by conversation.

abarsami

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 19, 2004
I'm thinking about cancelling the HD package ... I don't watch those channels anymore. I installed OTA antenna and get 6 channels HD perfectly.

Are there any new channels that will come into the HD package?

If I cancel the HD package, they will still upgrade me to the mpeg 4 stuff right, since I'm still a HD customer?

Seems like you should cancel the package for a while if you don't watch anything on the HD channels, especially since you're able to get OTA HD. It's always interesting to hear about peoples thoughts on the HD package, I watch something on it probably 95% of my TV viewing time, that includes the HD locals via D*.

There should be more HD channels added, probably no more though until they get the MPEG 4 stuff up and running. There are quite a few HD channels available right now that could be easily added once they get the bandwidth and it seems like January 2006 will be a big month for new HD channel launches. So I guess the good news is there are more channels available now or coming soon it's just a matter of when exactly we'll have them available on DirecTV, Dish Network or Cable.

I went ahead and cancelled it. Once they get better stuff I can always re-add.

Scrib said:
ESPNHD & ESPN2HD is worth it IMHO. College football in HD > *

I agree, for the most part, still can't understand how they decide what games to do in HD.

Tonights game looks great, I have it on, but am not really interested ....
Remember a few weeks back the biggest game to date (at the time) Texas vs Ohio State was not done in HD, but some small schools are.

Jimbo

Why does everyone talk about D*'s "HD" package as if it's really HD? Gee, just think, in 2007, when they get their satellites up, maybe, and start broadcasting the local HD channels that you already have for free (and uncompressed and pristine) you can reinstitute D*'s crappy HD Lite package and start paying for it again.

When D* finally gets full resolution on national HD movie channel content and TNT HD, I'll go back, Until then, though, reading the hysterical speculation about when in our lifetime D* might do something to HD Lite is very entertaining. In the meantime, we are getting good looking HD from DISH and using our HD TiVo to record perfect local OTA HD telecasts. We'd like to go back to D* someday, but right now we are kind of like Katrina refugees-there's nothing to go back to.

Happy Camper said:
Why does everyone talk about D*'s "HD" package as if it's really HD? Gee, just think, in 2007, when they get their satellites up, maybe, and start broadcasting the local HD channels that you already have for free (and uncompressed and pristine) you can reinstitute D*'s crappy HD Lite package and start paying for it again.

When D* finally gets full resolution on national HD movie channel content and TNT HD, I'll go back, Until then, though, reading the hysterical speculation about when in our lifetime D* might do something to HD Lite is very entertaining. In the meantime, we are getting good looking HD from DISH and using our HD TiVo to record perfect local OTA HD telecasts. We'd like to go back to D* someday, but right now we are kind of like Katrina refugees-there's nothing to go back to.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would have to say : You are not a sports fan,
The NFL and most college football (in HD) looks awesome !!! on ESPNHD's

This is not lite.

The movie channels might be lite, but live events are great.
I am not paying for the movie channels in HD.

Q. What makes your local channels perfect ? as I mentioned they too are compressed., so even they could look better.

I also watch most of my HD with mt OTA set up as well, yes the networks are compressed, just not as bad.

I have nothing but time, so when D* gets the new sats up and working, I will be happy.

Q.2, If I an you too, can get HD OTA , why would you purchase them from D*, when , as you said, It's already free ????

If you don't like the HD that they are offering, nobody is saying you have to have it.

Why are you bashing D* , for thier upgrade attempts, it seems you are perfectly happy with the limited channels you get from DISH,
I do not hear them talking about upgrading and placing more sats in the air so they can have more channels in the future.
You with Dish will be in the same boat as the rest of us are now , waiting for dish to get more HD , without any bandwidth.

Oh , ya , Don't come jumping back to D* ....................

Jimbo

Jimbos said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would have to say : You are not a sports fan,
The NFL and most college football (in HD) looks awesome !!! on ESPNHD's

This is not lite.

The movie channels might be lite, but live events are great.
I am not paying for the movie channels in HD.

Q. What makes your local channels perfect ? as I mentioned they too are compressed., so even they could look better.

I also watch most of my HD with mt OTA set up as well, yes the networks are compressed, just not as bad.

I have nothing but time, so when D* gets the new sats up and working, I will be happy.

Q.2, If I an you too, can get HD OTA , why would you purchase them from D*, when , as you said, It's already free ????

If you don't like the HD that they are offering, nobody is saying you have to have it.

Why are you bashing D* , for thier upgrade attempts, it seems you are perfectly happy with the limited channels you get from DISH,
I do not hear them talking about upgrading and placing more sats in the air so they can have more channels in the future.
You with Dish will be in the same boat as the rest of us are now , waiting for dish to get more HD , without any bandwidth.

Oh , ya , Don't come jumping back to D* ....................

Jimbo
Although, I don't quite agree on everything HappyCamper said, I do agree about one thing and thats D* is not showing true HD anymore! Many of you noobs are looking at HD Lite signals and because you are late adopters, you never really seen what these channels should look like in higher resolution "and" higher bitrates. Im sorry to say this but ESPNHD and ESPN2HD look HORRIBLE! In fact it looks almost like EDTV rather than HDTV. When ESPNHD first began 2 years ago D* did a pretty good job, although even then it was compressed, but today, I wouldn't dare call ESPN an HD channel on D*! They should rebrand it to ESPNED. HD Lite is a fact and its show more than ever on all D*'s so called HD channels. I was one of the early adopters of HD back when D* only had HDNet and it was free then, and I must say they're compression to HD Lite is staggering and upsetting :( . D* really need to focus on better resolution and higher bitrates when the new sats are operational! :shocked

You must not be watching the games I am.
Most of the movies look like crap, but I have been plenty happy with my footbal, at least the games they show in HD that is.

I can definitly see the difference between HD and HD lite,.
What type of set up are you watching on., granted OTA looks much better , but overall, like I said before, most LIVE events look great.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts