Cannot get a lock with AIM and 3-LNB

nogeek43

Original poster
Feb 10, 2020
Covington, LA
OK, guys what am I doing wrong?

I am trying to set up RV reception with Directv. I am at home with a clear view of the satellites (using Dishpointer app), using a new 3-LNB (NOT SWM) with a new slimline reflector. The mount is plumbed with a carpenter’s level.

I cannot get a lock on any satellite using the AIM meter, Satlook lite meter, nor the receiver (HR22-100) and tv combination. The AIM shows a strong -20dbM signal strength and I can peak it in azimuth and elevation. I am told that the 3-LNB does not care about tilt, although my tilt is set to 73 degrees as per the dishpointer app and the AIM. The AIM shows all X’s in the EIV test. The AIM also shows 13vdc at 210ma to the LNB.

The AIM and Satlook Lite meters are good since I can hook them up to my home dish and get lock on all satellites.

For my zip code I should be at 200 azimuth, 53 elevation and 73 tilt. The dish peaks (-20dbm) very close to those values, but no lock.

What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions other than tracking down an installer and paying him/her to analyze my problem?

Thanks

In another thread you said you needed a new dish. Did you get it yet?

If the meter works at a different location, then there is something wrong with the satellite setup.

Won't affect using 101 for aiming but you'll need B-Band converters for the receivers to get all the 103/99 channels with a NON-SWN LNBF...

It's been so long since I dealt with a non swm setup I completely forgot about the b band convertors. Thanks TTG!

Reactions: TheTechGuru
He did get a new reflector. I suppose it's possible that both were bent, but not likely.

When was the last time you updated the transponder info in the AIM?
I haven't updated the AIM. I bought it off EBAY 2 months ago. The satlook Lite meter will not lock either, nor will the on-screen setup show any signal strength on 99, 101 or 103.
The AIM works fine on my home setup with a 5-LNB SWM and HR-44 receiver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts