Cannot Tune sats 103 & 99

Status
Please reply by conversation.

darkmn82

Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
I live in an apartment, and and I am trying to upgrade my dish/receiver so I can get HD channels. I've installed the oval au9 slimline 5 lnb dish. I'm using an HR20 to tune the sats. I have tuned in sats 101, 110 and 119. When I look at satelites 99 and 103, they are both showing no signal strength.

My problem is that I don't quite understand how to tune in sats 99 and 103 using the procedure in the install guide so I was hoping you guys can help me.

1. How do I tune stas 99 & 103 without losing the other 3 sats? The instructions tell me to tune the other 3 sats then fine tune sats 99 and 103 by loosening the very bolts that I tightened to tune the first 3 sats! It's confusing to me. Can someone help clear this up?

2. I don't have BBCs for my HR20 (I plan to get them today). I know that this wil not allow me to get Ka signals. Is this correct? also, will not having BBCs installed effect the signal for sat 103?

I'm in the Dallas/ort Worth area.

2. I don't have BBCs for my HR20 (I plan to get them today). I know that this wil not allow me to get Ka signals. Is this correct? also, will not having BBCs installed effect the signal for sat 103?
This is why you don't have HD channels,this also makes the 103 read zero signal without having BBC installed.

Thanks for the replies! I'll get somw BBCs today and get back to you with results.

Unless you plan on "liberating" them, the only place that carries them is DIRECTV themselves and they don't offer same day delivery.

Good point :D:D:D

Maybe he has someone that has a few, I was thinking maybe they are coming in the mail, but then again, it's Sunday here !

Jimbo

I think Best Buy sells them. I've seen them next to the remotes. Not Kidding!

Hmm,
Thats interesting, i'll have to check next time I'm out there.

Nothing listed online at the BB website, but that isn't always accurate.

Jimbo

Last edited:
Okay, I've borrowed BBCs from a friend with a working directv HD system. I've installed them, and now I am seeing signal on 103c but still 0 signal on sat 99s. Here is what I am seeing on the signal stregth screen on my HR20:

sat 101 - 83%
sat 110 - 74%
sat 119 - 91%
sat 99s - 0%
sat 103s - 0%
sat 103c - 77%

1. Does anyone have a detailed info on how to fine tune sats 99s and 103s? I'm a little confused on which screws to adjust without losing the other sats. The online dish install movie doesn't show which screws to adjust (clearly). The install manual is vague at best with too much information. I need something a little more simple. I apologize to the forum if I'm sounding frustrated but I've been at this all weekend.

2. Should I have signal strength on sat 103s? I was thinking that I only need the other 5 sats. Am i wrong here?

1. If you mast is plumb and your elevation and skew is set correct and you are getting a good peaked signal on 101, 119, etc; the rest should all fall into place.

2a. For now, isn't Spaceway 2 at 99.2°W still a slot that provides spotbeam locals only? If so, then you may not need that slot yet (not receiving any signals). What DMA are you in?
2b. DirecTV 11 will be co-located here (99.2°W) and turned on soon to provide NATIONAL signals.

3. Are you NOT receiving any channels you are paying for?

4. What are your signal strength reading on a standard receiver?

1. If you mast is plumb and your elevation and skew is set correct and you are getting a good peaked signal on 101, 119, etc; the rest should all fall into place.

Mast is plumb (pulled dish off checked it again). See my signal strengths in the post above.

2a. For now, isn't Spaceway 2 at 99.2°W still a slot that provides spotbeam locals only? If so, then you may not need that slot yet (not receiving any signals). What DMA are you in?

I'm in the Dallas area.

2b. DirecTV 11 will be co-located here (99.2°W) and turned on soon to provide NATIONAL signals.

3. Are you NOT receiving any channels you are paying for?

I am currently using a non-hd box (r16 I think).

4. What are your signal strength reading on a standard receiver?

This strange. When I look at the signal strentgh on my standard receiver. I am only seeing sat 101a, and it's signal strength is 90%. Shouldn't I see 119 on my standard dish as well? The funny thing is that I am not missing any channels!

The fact you are NOT missing any channels is the key point. Although I think you can get a few % points more in the signal strength seeing how you are in the central US area; you are good and just over-thinking the 99 slot at this point. You are simply not supposed to "see it" yet. DFW locals come from Spaceway 1 at 102.8°W

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)