Can't adjust elevation -- Screw too tight

TimeHorse

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 12, 2005
I finally got my 75" StarChoice dish yesterday and assembled it today. The DirecTV people were too busy to help me install the StarChoice dish but I got it assembled with one one major problem before this. The black piece of plastic used to relieve stress on the arm was too large and extremely difficult to insert. However, this was done with the help of a little boiling water and a strong-shafted screwdriver.

Now I want to adjust the elevation to something like 34*. The first nut was easy to access and came out with the help of an adjustable wrench. The other side was too narrow for my adjustable wrench so I went to the Reston, Virginia Home Depot. What a waste of time that was! The only 7/16" wrench they had was in a $50 set and it turns out you need a 1/2" bit anyway, so I guess having the set was handy but the other problem is they had nothing longer than 4 inches so getting decent torque is next to impossible.

So I tried taking a napkin and dipping it in boiling water and draping it around the nut. Still won't budge. Then I tried putting ice on the bolt itself. No help. Then I tried ice on the bolt and boiling napkin on the nut. Still nothing.

Any suggestions?

Problem solved

I needed about a meter of spanner/wrench to generate enough torque to move the bolt. My co-worker fortunately keeps a meter long aluminium pipe in his car with just the right inner diameter. I loosened that screw thanks to his help. I then bought a thicker steel pipe of the same inner diameter (they didn't have the right diameter in aluminium alas, as steel is a lot heaver than necessary) and again another stubborn bolt succumbed to torque.

Thank goodness for long levers!

You know...I hate *C, but I really did not have any trouble installing the dish with a set of standard deep sockets.

miguelaqui said:
You know...I hate *C, but I really did not have any trouble installing the dish with a set of standard deep sockets.

Me either. I installed mine in 2 deg F, 20MPH winds weather in the dark with a flashlight in my mouth. It took me about 20 minutes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts