Can't Get any S2/8PSK

Could this format really be that sensitive?

Yes.

I noticed that if my 8' Birdview isn't EXACTLY in the right spot, the NBC's will NOT come in. You guys with smaller dishes will have to make sure you are spot on with your aiming, and maybe invest in some high dollar electronics, LNB's especially. :)

I can get LPB & the NBC muxes on KU with the 30" dish ;)

But LPB is kinda iffy at night

Is your NBC reception with a fixed dish or motorized? I have problems with the NBC muxes with my motorized 3' dish due to the 26 deg polarity issue.
I haven't had the "iffy at night" thing with LPB, but I have seen a few times when the signal became marginal for a few hours, which I attributed to weather at the uplink.
Anyway, if you're getting NBC on a motorized dish, I'm surprised. I can get most of the QPSK transponders on that sat, but only rarely have gotten a good signal on the 8PSK transponders. I did get a good lock once by going outside and rotating the lnbf.

I get the NBC muxes on my motorized 3' ok. If I remember right, the lowest freq. TP
is the weakest for me but it still locks in. I've been meaning to go out and twist the
LNBF sometime to see the difference but it's been too darn cold!

I am also unable to tune into any S2/8PSK channels through the AZBox on a 6ft dish, such as the NBC channels on C and Ku band. All other transponders off the same satellites are coming in fine. I even tried tuning to S2/8PSK channels off of a regular DVB MPEG2 just to see if I can get decent quality with no luck. Could this format really be that sensitive?

Yes, it is.

I get a lock on AMC18 on 3940 but nothing gets saved to the channel list. I'm getting 60% signal strength with 55% quality. I tried rebooting the Azbox but get the same results. I get nothing for 3780 (NBC) or 3910.

Last edited:
Could this format really be that sensitive?

In theory:
DVB-S QPSK FEC 3/4 requires 5.5 dB C/N
DVB-S2 QPSK FEC 3/4 requires 4.0 dB C/N
DVB-S2 8PSK FEC 3/4 requires 8.0 dB C/N

So DVB-S QPSK vs. DVB-S2 8PSK requires about 2.5 dB higher C/N, (3.0 dB means twice the power)
but DVB-S2 QPSK can work with 1.5 dB lower C/N than DVB-S QPSK.

Well guys it's not the AZbox, it appears it is my Dish...

Thanks to cracklincrotch I was able to get signal from my first S2/8PSK signal tonight. :)

Unfortunately my level is 64 and I guess the AZbox needs a 65 to show a picture.

Interesting that you get a lock and still can't watch it. I get a 53 quality on W5 (AMC15/18) and get a lock but nothing gets added to the channel list.

My Az gets a 12Q on my minibud with the SCN signal on 111.1ºw, and it locks fine

On other sats (72ºw) I get 50Q and get pixelation.

I think terrestrial or electromagnetic noise might have something to do with it.

It probably has more to do with the FEC involved.

The signal you're seeing on Anik F2 has a FEC of 1/2, meaning that every other piece of data coming in the stream is error correction.

The 50Q you're getting on AMC6 with pixelation is probably a 5/6 FEC, meaning that five out of every six packets are data, and one is error correction.

With your mini-bud you're going to pick up a lot more interference (because the dish sees a very wide area of the sky at C-Band frequencies) and the signal isn't providing enough error correction to compensate for your (lack of) size of dish.

Is your NBC reception with a fixed dish or motorized? I have problems with the NBC muxes with my motorized 3' dish due to the 26 deg polarity issue.
I haven't had the "iffy at night" thing with LPB, but I have seen a few times when the signal became marginal for a few hours, which I attributed to weather at the uplink.
Anyway, if you're getting NBC on a motorized dish, I'm surprised. I can get most of the QPSK transponders on that sat, but only rarely have gotten a good signal on the 8PSK transponders. I did get a good lock once by going outside and rotating the lnbf.
My DVB USB 2104D locks and displays LPB and the NBC DVB-S2 8PSK stuff on 125 and 103.0°W respectively, but my AZbox Elite doesn't. Not even a display in (zero) quality. Why? It should be noted that I get all other stuff on 125.0W° except for LPB. I have a motorized setup.

Last edited:
LPBS FEC is 3/5, I don't remember the Pilot
Also, the LPBS signal can be weak, I can no longer lock with 36" offset dish.

As for NBC Ku S2 TPs, remember that they are on a Sat with a Goofy Skew

The AZBox just may need more Signal vs. the Sat Card

LPBS FEC is 3/5, I don't remember the Pilot
Also, the LPBS signal can be weak, I can no longer lock with 36" offset dish.

As for NBC Ku S2 TPs, remember that they are on a Sat with a Goofy Skew

The AZBox just may need more Signal vs. the Sat Card

Thanks Lak. I had the right FEC of 3/5, but no quality on the LPB transponderl. What worries me is that there is no signal Quality displayed at all,while the DVB 2104D displays quality signal and locks all channels on that MUX and displays the videos fine. As for the NBC KU S2 TPs, I was pleasantly surprised to lock them on the DVBWorld card. Come to think of it, the AZBox was able to lock and display video on one of the DVB-S2 transponders.

When do you use the "pilot" feature? Whenever I scan with my CS 8000 receiver the "pilot" feature is there. I often ignore it.
Some receivers have tuners that will automatically figure out the pilot setting, and usually it won't even be listed as a setting. It's been a while since I've used my CS8100, but unless I'm remembering wrong, I think you had to have the pilot set correctly or you won't get a lock with that receiver. Same with the Azbox and Diamond 9000. With my TT3200 or TeVii, however, there isn't even a pilot setting to worry about. In fact with the TeVii, if you specify DVB-S2, it will lock both DVB-S or DVB-S2, even if you've entered the SR off by a factor of 2, and even if your freq is off by more than 20 MHz. With the TeVii, it locks no matter what you enter as parameters, which can be good for finding things, but it's bad for then trying to tell someone (or some other receiver) what you've found.

But anyway, I'm surprised that you could get away with ignoring the pilot on the 8000.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts