Can't get my azBox to position on one satellite

abeorch

Original poster
May 18, 2011
London
I'm completely stuck. I have a Azbox Premium on the latest firmware but when ever I select one satellite I get the rotor swinging back and forward continuously with out end. It will not stop on one position and will keep moving until I switch across to two or three other satellites. The annoying thing the satellite position effected is 28.2E which is all the Astra Satellites and the main channels for here in the UK.

Any ideas on how to stop my dish doing a good impression of one of those sideshow circus clown games?

Abeorch,

Which firmware (by number) is it that you have installed?
Does this only happen when 28.2E is selected and all of the other satellites work properly?
Are you using a H-H motor with a smaller Ku band dish or are you using a C-Band dish in conjunction with a positioner (like a V-Box or a G-Box)?
Are you using USALS or DiSEqC 1.2 motor positioning mode?
Is this a new box and has it been doing this ever since you got it? Or is this something that just developed?

Your system's symptom is very odd to me, I have not heard of this response before. I have read a lot about problems with the dish stopping at a specific point in travel (due to east or west limits being unwantingly set after a blind scan or something). But, continuosly driving all over the arc, that is a new one for me.

I have read about a specific eastern satellite having an erroneous transponder in its list (from the factory - or resident in the firmware) that caused problems, but I am not sure if it was 28.2E.

I would go into your settings menu and look at all the setting parameters for 28.2E (I would power down first and disconnect your cable just so that your motor isn't going nuts while you investigate everything). I would scrutinize all the setup parameters for 28.2E including the motor setup area. Then I would investigate the list of transponders.

Oh! And make sure that this satellite is actually listed as 28.2E in the settings menu and not 28.2W or something else. That's a very good thing to investigate. The sat NAME may show up as 28.2E in your TV mode list, but if the orbital position is erroneously entered as something with a WEST notation in the parameters, that would definitely create a big conflict.

If you cannot find anything obvious in this research, I would re-download the firmware (to be sure you get a good copy) and then reload it into the AZBox AND perform the FORMAT APPLICATION AREA procedure. You can find instructions for doing this in the STICKIES at the top of this forum page.

Formatting the application area is not always mandatory, but the OpenBox support team recommends to do so when there are MAJOR alterations in firmware operations. I personally perform this procedure EVERY time that I update the firmware (or go backwards in firmware). Many people disagree with me because this takes extra time and I know that it does because you have to set up everything from scratch (basically). But, I am accustomed to doing so and I don't mind spending an extra 10-20 minutes to reset everything. I don't usually need to do if that often and it keeps me in practice. With situations like yours, I would recommend it.

Resetting the motor may also be a possibility, however it does not sound like motor trouble to me.

To wrap it up, unless someone else chimes in and knows precisely what the problem is, I can only suggest that you start with my ideas above to try to detect and isolate something abnormal. Good luck on this one, I hope you find something obvious right soon.

RADAR

169.1°E Intelsat 2 was the satellite causing many problems in the past: It had no TP's listed on it.
I don't know if this has been corrected as of yet but I do know it has caused many people problems with the Azbox acting strangely and corrupting their satellite/channel list from time to time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)