Can't get RF remotes to work on HR20-700s

Status
Please reply by conversation.

stumo

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2007
Defiance, MO
Have a newly installed HR20-700s up and running just fine but I can not get the remotes to work in RF mode. I've set the receiver and remotes up many times to no avail. It actually worked once for a couple of seconds but only when the remote was within about 3 feet of the receiver. Hasn't worked since. Works fine in IR mode. I even unplugged every RF device in the house...cordless phones and wifi access point -same. I'm in a rural location so doubt there is any RF interference from anywhere else.

I've set up the receiver many times for RF and same with both RC34 and RC24RF remotes. When programming the remotes I'm following the instructions by pressing Mute & Select at the same time until I get 2 blinks, entering 9-6-1, pressing Channel Up, entering the RID# (110150 in my case) and then pressing Select - doesn't work. Tried fresh Duracell batteries as well - same.

My gut feeling tells me the RF section of the receiver is defective or internal antenna may not be connected. This receiver does NOT have a place to hook up an external antenna like the one that came in the RF24RF kit.

Anybody have any ideas? Dread the call to DirecTV tech support.

Thanks,
stumo

Last edited:
Let me guess, you have a Aquos TV? That backlighting messes with the remote.

Fortunately not. Saw the posts on that issue when I was searching. I have a Samsung DLP. The remote is actually working in RF mode right now but only within a few feet of the receiver and even that is sporadic.

Thanks,
stumo

The only thing I can think of that you did not mention, and is grabbing at straws, is whether or not is there is an electrical panel near the TV, even on the other side of the wall?

The only thing I can think of that you did not mention, and is grabbing at straws, is whether or not is there is an electrical panel near the TV, even on the other side of the wall?

Interesting. No electrical panel but I do have a UPS power backup/surge protector near by. All my TV, stereo, DBS gear is on it. Will be a pita but will try to eliminate it.

Thanks for the idea,
Stu

Well it sure was worth a try but unplugging the UPS and surge protector made no change. When the remote works in RF mode and the receiver sees a command it flashes the LED on the Power button just like it does in IR mode. With nothing plugged into power other than the HR20-700s I watched the LED light on the Power button as I pressed remote. Occasionally if would work and sometimes it just seemed to be either locked up or just not receiving the RF command and would do nothing. I've never had the RF remote work from more than like 6 feet way. Usually it has to be much closer. Sometimes it won't even work when placed right on top of the receiver. I think the receiver is either not receiving the RF signal or it is not processing it. Don't know how to further define it.

Will welcome any further thoughts but I think this part of the receiver is defective but can't find any posts to make me think this is a trend.

Thanks,
stumo

stumo,
Well, first off I didn't think that the UPS would have anything to do with it, they are made to be right there in the vacinity.
You have an interesting situation.
I am sure you tried the obvious, replacing the batteries already.
Do you have any other rec. with the D* remote, If so, try programming theother one to work it and see if it does the same thing.
If you don't have one, call D* and have them send you one, but I don't think that it is the remote either, but trying to eliminate the easy things first.
You can also buy these remotes at the local CC as well, so if you don't want to wait for D* to send one., you can always take it back if it proves to not be the problem.

If all that doesn't work, Call D*, you are probably right that the RF rec. is not funtioning.

Also, I remember reading somewhere about a month or so ago that D* was not sending out RF remotes with the HR20-700's anymore, that way they could sell a remote to you, another way to make money. (obviously the IR has to work)

So maybe thats your issue also, let us know what you find out.

btw, if your within 3 ft like you mentioned, are you sure it was on RF and not IR at the time? Sounds like you've done a lot of testing with it.

FWIW, my remote (RF) works from anywhere in the house, even the front bedrooms, my Home Theatre set up is in the extreme rear of the house, never had a bit of trouble with distance.

Jimbo

Thanks Jimbos,

Yeah, I tried some new duracell batteries as I never trust the cheapies that come with components. I actually have tried 2 remotes, a RC34 that came with the HD20-700 and a RC24RF that I bought at the same time. Programmed both to do the RF function and neither works well with the receiver. They will intermittently work but then only when close to the receiver. And it seems once you send a command, the receiver won't recognize another for quite some time.

Late this afternoon I even went to the trouble of hooking the receiver and TV up to a generator via 100' extension cord. I shut off the main electrical breaker to the house just in case there was an internal RF issue. Same deal. Poor remote operation when using RF. Same with the TV off and unplugged.

My mind is convinced it's in the receiver. I'll call the place where I bought it in the morning to see if they will replace it but have this feeling I'm gonna be stuck calling Directv and going thru the run around there.

Thanks again,
stumo

Thanks Jimbos,

Yeah, I tried some new duracell batteries as I never trust the cheapies that come with components. I actually have tried 2 remotes, a RC34 that came with the HD20-700 and a RC24RF that I bought at the same time. Programmed both to do the RF function and neither works well with the receiver. They will intermittently work but then only when close to the receiver. And it seems once you send a command, the receiver won't recognize another for quite some time.

Late this afternoon I even went to the trouble of hooking the receiver and TV up to a generator via 100' extension cord. I shut off the main electrical breaker to the house just in case there was an internal RF issue. Same deal. Poor remote operation when using RF. Same with the TV off and unplugged.

My mind is convinced it's in the receiver. I'll call the place where I bought it in the morning to see if they will replace it but have this feeling I'm gonna be stuck calling Directv and going thru the run around there.

Thanks again,
stumo

Well, It's a lease, that is why we leased so IF something went wrong, they would be responsible for them and replace them.

Just curious, when you hooked it up to your generator, IF it worked, what would you have done then ???
I think the gas to run the generator just to watch TV would have been an interesting situation.

Jimbo

look on the box is it made in china? there is a problem with hr-20 made in china.
DTV engineering is looking in to it.

look on the box is it made in china? there is a problem with hr-20 made in china.
DTV engineering is looking in to it.

Yes, it says made in China :( Can you give a clue as to how you know this? Looking for ammo in case Directv gives some resistance in replacing the receiver.

Will being calling here in a few minutes to see if I can get it replaced.

Thanks,
Stu

Last edited:
Called Directv this morning and once I got to what I'll call Level 3 support, the guy agreed that he too thought it is a defective receiver and is sending another one out.

I must say everyone I talked to was friendly and tried to help the best they could. Will give them an "A" for customer support.

Now I just hope the replacement wasn't made in China :eek:

Thanks everyone,
stumo

Called Directv this morning and once I got to what I'll call Level 3 support, the guy agreed that he too thought it is a defective receiver and is sending another one out.

I must say everyone I talked to was friendly and tried to help the best they could. Will give them an "A" for customer support.

Now I just hope the replacement wasn't made in China :eek:

Thanks everyone,
stumo

Don't worry about the China thing...
All the HR20-700's are made by "Pace Micro" regardless, so far they are the only ones making them, If you look at the over all picture, it's a very small percentage that are having any problems.

Jimbo

FedEx showed up with the replacement receiver today. Hooked it up all up and programmed the receiver and remotes for RF and now it works. I can use the RF from either end of the house now where as before was limited to just a few feet from the receiver and even then they may not have worked. Wasn't real thrilled that I got a remanufactured unit to replace my 3 day old new one but it works so what the heck. This one says made in Mexico. Thanks to Jimbos and jamesclerie for all their help and ideas.

stumo

The stock remote that came with it is a rc23 / sometimes.

Call DTV and order an RF remote = they are 20/30$ but its worth it.
Also make sure the RF code matches the last 6 digits of your RID number/

You can buy the remote on ebay as well, its called the RC24 remote

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)