Can't Get Signal in Motor Home

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

IBHIPRU

Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
St George, Utah
I have a standard DTV receiver that I use both in the home and in the motor home. It worked well for about a year but now I can't get the signal to lock in. In addition, my satellite finder has started to act strange. After aligning the satellite to my local settings (150/43) and turning the receiver on, the satellite finder light comes on as expected. However, within 15-20 seconds, there is a single click noise from the receiver and the satellite finder goes dead. After 15-20 minutes with the TV screen showing the message "Searching For Satellite" the message changes to Ext 771. Then I am able to get into the menu and go to the test sat signal strength page. Once it starts working through the transponders, the satellite finder comes back on. At that point I fine tune the signal. Howevder, all the transponders show zero. In my Motor Home, the satellite cable as well as my off air antenna and cable all feed into a splitter before going to the TV. In an attempt to eliminate the dish and wiring as the problem, I hooked up a friend's portable DTV dish directly to my receiver. Had the identical problem with the sat finder coming on then shortly after shutting down. Additionally, could not get a signal to lock in even though the sat finder showed a strong signal. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated

I have a standard DTV receiver that I use both in the home and in the motor home. It worked well for about a year but now I can't get the signal to lock in. In addition, my satellite finder has started to act strange. After aligning the satellite to my local settings (150/43) and turning the receiver on, the satellite finder light comes on as expected. However, within 15-20 seconds, there is a single click noise from the receiver and the satellite finder goes dead. After 15-20 minutes with the TV screen showing the message "Searching For Satellite" the message changes to Ext 771. Then I am able to get into the menu and go to the test sat signal strength page. Once it starts working through the transponders, the satellite finder comes back on. At that point I fine tune the signal. Howevder, all the transponders show zero. In my Motor Home, the satellite cable as well as my off air antenna and cable all feed into a splitter before going to the TV. In an attempt to eliminate the dish and wiring as the problem, I hooked up a friend's portable DTV dish directly to my receiver. Had the identical problem with the sat finder coming on then shortly after shutting down. Additionally, could not get a signal to lock in even though the sat finder showed a strong signal. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated

Welcome to the Site !!!

You say you've had this recvr working in the RV previously ?
You CANNOT have ANY splitters in a D* set up unless it's a SWM set up which I'm guessing it's not ....
Most RV's have a amplifier block for the OTA and Cable, you cannot use this run for the D* recvr.

The way Ihave mine set up is with a Slimline , 2 coax run directly into the back of the recvr (HR20) and I hook up the OTA antenna from the connection I mentioned earlier to the back of the HR20 thru the OTA connector, this works fine as long as you have a OTA tuner in your box.

I'm wondering if your having voltage issues with the Sat finder.

I'm guessing that you have D* in your home.
Can you set up this recvr in your home to verify it works.
Make sure you run the "Repeat Sat Set Up " when changing from the home to the RV if the set up is at all different from the home and set the Dish to the correct one for each application.

If that works fine, can you run a line from your dish to the recvr in the RV and check it, this way you can eliminate Signal being an issue.

The ext 771 is Searching for Signal.

IF your using a SWM set up in the home, when you take it out tothe RV, you'll get no signal till you change the Set Up as the voltage comes from the Power Inserter with the SWM and the recvr in the RV would need to send it's own voltage to the LNB.

Thanks for the response. Yes, this receiver did work in the motor home initially and yes, the receiver does work fine in the house. In the motor home, the cable that attaches to the back of the TV is attached to a splitter as the TV receives signals from three different sources (SAT/OFF AIR/CABLE). The Sat Finder is not the problem as I used three different ones with the same result. As I mentioned, once the receiver is turned on, the Sat Finder light comes on and then shuts off after a "click" noise from the receiver. Is this an indication of a bad LNB?

Thanks for the response. Yes, this receiver did work in the motor home initially and yes, the receiver does work fine in the house. In the motor home, the cable that attaches to the back of the TV is attached to a splitter as the TV receives signals from three different sources (SAT/OFF AIR/CABLE). The Sat Finder is not the problem as I used three different ones with the same result. As I mentioned, once the receiver is turned on, the Sat Finder light comes on and then shuts off after a "click" noise from the receiver. Is this an indication of a bad LNB?

Is your RV at home when your not using it ?
If so, connect a line from the dish at home to the input in the RV with the recvr hooked up and see if it works or if it also does what it did with the other dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)