Can't get Signal on 129 with other Sats in the Arc

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ElroyJ

SatelliteGuys Family
Dec 7, 2003
St. Louis, MO
I can get a signal on all the sats in the arc except 129 for White Springs. I think my signals are low. My typical signal quality is about 52%. When I adjust the elevation at the 129 position slightly. I can get about a 30-40% signal quality and then when I go check AMC 3 87 for the Patient Channel the signal quality is too low on that one.

I set the motor elevation for my lattiude acording to the book. I have a GD240. I double checked for plumb on each side of the bracket on the motor and it is plumb. My question is does it make a difference if I raise the motor up and then re-adjust the dish or is just adjusting the elevation of the dish the same thing?

I could just raise the motor or lower the motor 1 deg and then realign the dish at each end and true south in the arc if that would make a difference.

I think the best signal quality I can get from my true south satellite, Galaxy 11 91 is about 64% but then Galaxy 10 123 is not that good. I think it drops into the 40s. So I left it at about 52%.

Just for more info AMC6 72 is at about 62%

Just thought I would ask to get some ideas.

I really like my new hobby and this forum for making it happen.
Thanks to all.

need to adjust motor/dish on the pole. If it's too low on one end, and too high on the other, gotta turn the dish/motor assmbly a slight amount. (to the west, I believe, in your case)
mark the location on the pole before you move it, so you can go back to that place.

What are your receiver, LNB, and cable length?
Do you have a clear view of the sky to all the satellite locations to your south?
Is your LNB skew set to zero for your true-south satellite?

Are you commanding the dish to all satellites with USALS?
Reason I ask , is one member just realized that he was using two ways to get to the birds, and it was causing him trouble.

Bringing the motor up or down one degree is not at all the same as raising the dish alone.
There should be a pretty good chart in your motor manual for how to adjust, based on whether east or west satellites are high or low, left or right, etc.
If not, we'll find you such a chart.

My receiver is a Mercury II and my LNB is a QPH 031 and its skew is set to 0. The cable length is about 60ft.

I have a clear view of the sky.

I am using USALS for all satellites.

So what effect does adjusting the motor elevation have as apposed to the dish elevation if its not the same?

Turbosat are you saying you think my azimuth is off. I tried adjusting that but I could not get a better signal. I hate adjusting that but I can try again.

elroy I will try to scan this satellite manual I have, with a good picture of declination offset explained. If you have THAT part right, and the elevation pretty close, that east/west tracking is the only other angle I can think of that affects tracking. Provided of course, that your pole is plumb.

Attachments

• out.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Elroy, that is from the old C-band installation book I have, it is just for
illustration of the angles involved in tracking the arc. I know there is a diff method for setting declination on these offset dishes-ignore the reference to polar mount. The principles are the same.

Thanks for that scan that is good information.

I think I will try adjusting the east/west again.

Since 72 comes in at about 62% and all others come in at about 52% and 129 doesn't come in at all I guess I will try that first.

I settled for a compromise on my 1m dish project, I saw higher #s on AMC6, and G10, with a little more east/west tweaking I think I could've gotten them to stay. But after awhile , I just wanted to watch tv lol and quit messing with it! I get 60-70 quality on those 2 sats but saw 80's by pushing up or down on the dish. It's very stable for now, I get Russia Today at about 85%quality on G25 -once I had that sat reading that well , I tightened the bolts and quit.

Thanks for that scan that is good information.

I think I will try adjusting the east/west again.

Since 72 comes in at about 62% and all others come in at about 52% and 129 doesn't come in at all I guess I will try that first.

I think 129 on the Mercury II defaults as a circular Echostar bird (LO 11250). Make sure your LO is set for 10750 and the right port on your switch is selected. White Springs takes very little signal to work. If you are getting 123 (G10) then WS should be a piece of cake.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)