interesting use for the old dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I've seen this for several years now. This is very cool. I am hoping to get some use out of some of my old SuperDishes and PrimeStar dishes that I have. I am sure there will be a stockpile of SuperDishes now that they are all getting swapped out for Dish 1000's.

Is that the sewage vent pipe it's attached to? Are those things vented out the top of the mount? He could be creating a very dangerous situation there. Not to mention the smell when aligning it! :eek:

I've been entirely too tempted to attach to some in my area (starbucks, subway, hotels, office depot, etc) that all have freebie connections available.. only need to reach about 1.5-2 miles from me.. :)

I took an old 18" single LNB pizza pan (freebie), pulled the back off the LNB, removed all the internal electronics, cut down the feed horn and mounted a copper bi-quad at the approximate focal point. My neighbor and I then shared cable broadband for over a year until I moved last month. I actually built up to setups but only needed to mount one on my house, it worked great across 500', a concrete block wall, their exterior wall and the cheapie (US$15) 802.1g AP sitting in their spare bedroom.

I would never waste a Primestar dish for thie purpose, to many freebie pizza pans around.

There are many better ways to grab 802.11, don't waste a good dish, you can build a cantenna or flat planar and get great results.. Trust me..

I have a new dish right now sitting on my porch in the back and have yet to figure out what its going to be setup for, static for sure but who - what??

Is that new record an unamplified signal? I remember the 120 some mile distance that was acheived out west with some c-band dishes and that was unamplified.

There are many better ways to grab 802.11, don't waste a good dish, you can build a cantenna or flat planar and get great results.. Trust me..

I have a new dish right now sitting on my porch in the back and have yet to figure out what its going to be setup for, static for sure but who - what??

How about G-10R Ku? :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)