Can't get USALS to work on Coolsat 5000

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ftamart

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Manitoba, Canada
I am just upgrading to a Coolsat 5000 and a DMSI SG2100 motor. I have entered USALS in the motor menu and also have entered my long and lat. When I hit OK on "Go to reference" it actually goes to "0", but when I hit OK on the bottom "Go to" it doesn't move at all. I can move the motor manually under the "Move" option, but USALS seams not to work or I am doing something wrong. The Satellite location is right. I doesn't matter which satellite I pick.
Do you guys have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for you help.

Some more details: I had my Viewsat 2000 Xtreme connected to this motor before I switched to the Coolsat 5000, and with the Viewsat it worked. The SG-2100 motor doesn't seem to have a reset (pin hole) like my Skywalker DG-120A had, is there a way to reset the motor?
Also, the Coolsat's reception seems to be lower than the Viewsat clone. Even with a good Signal Quality on IA6 (92%), it has intermittent freezing on TV Azteca. Any ideas on this?

Please help.

Thanks

Last edited:
The reset hole is slightly hidden by the LED indicator. Pull back the edge of the silicone LED lens cover and you will see the reset hole. Make sure the motor is in position 0 before pressing the reset.

The Coolsats do not move while you are in the USALS menu. You have to save and exit in order for the motor to move .... This is why I always hated installing motors with a Coolsat. Not the most freindly motor control during the set-up, but great relability once programmed.

Thanks for your response.
Got it to work. Can't believe I did what I did and didn't notice it before. I had switched the Longitude and Latitude numbers. Now USALS works.

As far as reseting the motor goes, this motor has the little hole right beside one of the buttons, but the only thing there is the LED, I actaully pulled the button cover off to look. My Skywalker motor is identical from the outside but has the has an actual reset switch by the little hole and the sticker tells you how to reset it.
On this SG-2100 the sticker only says the status LED is in the hole and doesn't mention the reset at all. The manual doesn't talk about this either. Neither can I go the "0" by pushing both buttons at the same time like the Skywalker motor does.

I think this motor has the board like this one on DMSI's site:
http://www.dmsiusa.com/images/sg2100/pt3.jpg
Notice the LED right beside the East button? The Skywalker motor has the reset switch there.
The reason I would like to reset it is because it's off by 4 degrees. I was has been like this since I got it. Any suggestions on how else to reset it?

Thanks for your help,

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the SG2100 have one button for East / West and one button for resetting? Unless their design has changed in the past year ......

I have several samples from different manufacturers of motors with one East button and one West button. On these units, hold down both buttons simultaneously until the status light changes color to reset the motor.

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the SG2100 have one button for East / West and one button for resetting? Unless their design has changed in the past year ......

I have several samples from different manufacturers of motors with one East button and one West button. On these units, hold down both buttons simultaneously until the status light changes color to reset the motor.

on my SG2100 there is a pinhole for the reset and only one button for manual tuning

press button and hold for one direction or press, let go, repress within a second for the other direction. Had to manually move the dish when I was cleaning the snow around it the other day :)

The pinhole is sometimes partially covered up by the LED cover. It is there, just next to the LED. A straightened paper clip will do the trick nicely. Hold it there until the LED stops flashing yellow/green and goes back to green again.

Thanks for you responses guys.
I am glad I am not the only one who entered the long and lat wrong.

As far as reseting goes, I contacted DMSI and they tell me this is the new version of the motor. And I found the "Hardware Reset" intructions as per manual (in case someone else has the same motor):

A. Cut off the power for motor
B. Press both of EAST/WEST bottons at the same time, then, turn on the power of the motor. LED - Orange blinking & stop, memory erased. You can get the original Software System.
C. Reprogram For the desired satellite.

This is a copy from the new manual.

Thanks again, and have a nice day,

Here is a picture of the Digipower SG2100 motor. There is only one button (the gray one on the left) that controls East/West. The reset switch is in the hole to the right of the clear LED cover on the right.

Attachments

• Digipoqwer-sg2100-3.JPG
    Digipoqwer-sg2100-3.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 192
Status
Please reply by conversation.