Can't hook up legacy Dish receiver

flyguyj

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 2, 2007
Hi everyone. Really nice site. I freakin love everything tech.

Anyways onto my prob. I've searched and read and read, and everything I read leads me to believe this is possible, but I'm still unable to do it.

I'm trying to hook up my Dishpro (PVR508) and legacy 6000 to a Dishpro Plus Twin LNBF. I hook up the DP receiver and the signal is great. However, when I go to hook up the 6000, no matter what, all I can get it to see is the 119 Evens. I've tried changing what port each is hooked to at the LNB, and no luck.

Is there something I'm over looking? All the literature says this is possible.

Hi everyone. Really nice site. I freakin love everything tech.

Anyways onto my prob. I've searched and read and read, and everything I read leads me to believe this is possible, but I'm still unable to do it.

I'm trying to hook up my Dishpro (PVR508) and legacy 6000 to a Dishpro Plus Twin LNBF. I hook up the DP receiver and the signal is great. However, when I go to hook up the 6000, no matter what, all I can get it to see is the 119 Evens. I've tried changing what port each is hooked to at the LNB, and no luck.

Is there something I'm over looking? All the literature says this is possible.

Have you tried switching rooms just for kicks? 508 in the 6000 room and vice versa?

I sure have! I've tried (I think) everything to avoid having someone spoonfeed this to me! I even switched rooms again to make absolutely certain I'm observing the < 150' note in the manuals.

As far as I can tell, it shouldn't matter whether or not the legacy is connected to Port 1 or 2 of the DPP twin.

I sure have! I've tried (I think) everything to avoid having someone spoonfeed this to me! I even switched rooms again to make absolutely certain I'm observing the < 150' note in the manuals.

As far as I can tell, it shouldn't matter whether or not the legacy is connected to Port 1 or 2 of the DPP twin.

No, it shouldn't. Has the 6000 worked before on a previous configuarion? Or did you just pick it up?

I don't see why it isn't working unless their is something wrong with the 6000, as long as you have the 508 hooked up also and powered up it should work. Does your 6000 have the most current software? It should be 856P. Also here is a helpful PDF link that you can do some more reading on since you love the tech stuff..... http://www.dishretailer.com/dpp/dpptwin.pdf

Tyralak: Yes it worked before, but with a Legacy Twin. I haven't hooked it up since I got sent somewhere else for 4 months, moved back and bought a new house (that has a DPP lnb on the roof).

ke4est: The 6000 appears to be working fine, but the software is 855P. (And I already have that pdf! Good reading LoL)

Thanks for the input guys ... I just finished ordering a DP adapter when I came back to this page to refresh, looks like we agree that maybe that's just the only way to go.

(Still doesn't make sense though, since according to the papers, it *should* work without the adapter ... frustrating)

Iv'e installed dish for about 9 years the 6000 receiver is a legacy and won't work on a dish Pro LNB. You need a dish Pro to legacy adapter. Dish Pro works on 18 Volts and Legacy works on 13 Volts. If the receiver dose'nt have a Dishpro emblem on the front of the receiver it isn't dishpro compatable.

Iv'e installed dish for about 9 years the 6000 receiver is a legacy and won't work on a dish Pro LNB. You need a dish Pro to legacy adapter. Dish Pro works on 18 Volts and Legacy works on 13 Volts. If the receiver dose'nt have a Dishpro emblem on the front of the receiver it isn't dishpro compatable.

wow... you install?

he was asking about a Dish Pro PLUS twin, which is supposed to work with a legacy receiver as long as there is a dish pro receiver connected.

and the differences in dish pro and legacy is not the voltage differences... sorry

I don't know much about the 6000, but some legacy receivers have a little "Dish 500" box in a corner of the check switch screen that you have to 'check' in order to view 2 sats.

I don't know much about the 6000, but some legacy receivers have a little "Dish 500" box in a corner of the check switch screen that you have to 'check' in order to view 2 sats.

thats there so when you enter your zip code it will give you settings for that particular dish

:eek:

Legacy uses voltage to shift between polarities:
- 13V for Odd/Right Hand Circular Transponders, 950 MHz - 1450 MHz
- 18V for Even/Left Hand Circular Transponders, 950 MHz - 1450 MHz
- 15V is the minimum to shift to Even Transponders, or you'll get Odd Transponders.

DishPro uses Band Stacked:
- Odd/Right Hand Circular Transponders, 950 MHz - 1450 MHz
- Even/Left Hand Circular Transponders, 1650 MHz - 2150 MHz
- Equipment uses a 22 KHz tone and DiSEqC commands
- Signals are transmitted using 19V
- But will work as long as voltage is at least 10.5V

I was thinking that maybe the DPP Twin wasn't getting enough voltage from the 6000 receiver for it to recognize the receivers' request; but since the receiver is getting Even Transponders, the DPP Twin must be getting between 15v and 18v to detect that the receiver is looking for Even Transponders.

Maybe the DPP Twin's circuits and/or built-in "DP Legacy Adapter" is malfunctioning.

Reading a little, it looks like when using a legacy receiver with the DPP Twin, the length of cable depends on the type of RG6 being used, and could be less than normal, especially while trying to download a software update.

I think I would try to run a new piece of RG-6 from the LNBF directly to the 6000, as short as possible; then run Check Switch without the sat-in connected; cycle the power; and then connect and run Check Switch again. Maybe there are some splitters or too many connections between the DPP Twin and the 6000.

What does the 6000 show for switch type? SW64?

For those familiar with the 6000, isn't that one of those receivers that had an add-on module for HD or something?
If so, could that have some sort of affect?

for most part they do work with DPP. but they missing odd transponders on 110 and 119 from 1 to 11. everything else is great

What does the 6000 show for switch type? SW64?

For those familiar with the 6000, isn't that one of those receivers that had an add-on module for HD or something?
If so, could that have some sort of affect?

Thanks for all that great info. It shows SW44 (not 64 like the manual says it should). If I hook it to Port 1 and do a checkswitch it sees 119 Evens. If I hook it to Port 2 without doing a checkswitch, it sees 110 Evens.

Smith, P. - the 6000 *does* have the 8psk module installed, and the coax is connected to the Sat In on the 8psk.

As far as hooking up a DP receiver first, I've already tried that. I tried first with just an old 301.013 that isn't active on any accounts (thinking that all the LNB needed was the power from a DishPro receiver), but that didn't work, so I hooked up my regular "daily driver" PVR508 with the same results.

No matter what I try, the 6000 will only see either the 119 Evens or the 110 Evens, depending on which port on the LNB I connect it to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)