Can’t Live Without Dish

MrDRC

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 29, 2004
Way South via the Northern Lands
So….we’ve been remodeling our old house and part of it was replacing all exterior siding with hardie plank. Our contractor started 2 weeks ago yesterday and part of the job included taking down our dish. We’ve got great internet and every imaginable streaming service possible but every day for 2 weeks I still missed the Hopper and Dish service. I guess I’m just old but to me it felt like I was BADLY missing out. We had plenty of recorded shows to keep us occupied (along with streamers) but Hopper and Dish are irreplaceable for us. I know we’re living in a diminishing world (sat/cable/etc) but there has to be a segment still willing to pay, like us, along with paying for streamers. Anyone else in a similar situation? Subscribe to DIsh AND have abundant streamers but can’t live without Dish/Hopper? We can’t be the only one.

Cheers….Merry Xmas and Happy New Year…

When I visit my sons and see how YouTube TV or Spectrum work I am so glad that I have the Dish Hopper3 and Joey3. The Hopper3 is so superior to other equipment. I plan to stick with Dish even though my costs are higher. I pay $150 for Dish and $79 for Spectrum internet. But I enjoy the entertainment.

Supposedly, and Scott is keeping mum on the issue, there is a really big thing that is something that 'no one has done before' possibly coming along. If it's that groovy then it definitely would be hard to move away from Dish.

I just wonder what the 'no one has done before' really is?

That sounds interesting but it’s going to take something extraordinary to stop the conventional TV service slide. So many people I know, even in my age range (old), are abandoning dish/direct/cable/ etc. Would love to see Dish hit it out of the park but the industry has changed so much it’s going to be hard to recover. Wish them the best of luck because I’ll hang on till the bitter end.

I left Dish over a year ago and never looked back. Maybe installing them every day, dealing with glitches and stuff, I just don't miss it BUT I also stream in the gray area, so it's a different experience than people who use valid apps

Same. Millennial here and love my live tv thru Dish. Streaming services are great and I have them all, but when the power goes out, the cable also goes out. Have a whole home generator so at least I can still have my live TV. Also, nothing compares to the Hopper 3.

My Hopper 3 is still hooked up to the satellite and ota antenna ,even though I cancelled DISH on my main account a week or so back. I can still see the guide for my ota channels- that DISH carries and a few they refused to ever fix. My Hopper still works and I can record ota shows off of it. I will be using it as a "back up" in case we lose Spectrum cable internet in the summers ,due to frequent hurricanes we have just about every year. That way if the power comes back and the internet is out , we will at least be able to see our locals.

Another old fart here who loves his Hopper 3 and Comcast Internet. We got hammered from Hurricane Michael 3 years ago and were without power for 30 days. Thankfully we had a generator and after a few days I decided to see if we still had DISH.... if was working fine. The satellite dish was in a protected area of our yard and although most of our trees were on the ground our dish wasn't touched and still worked fine. It took another 6 months for our Comcast to be repaired but our Dish never missed a beat. Been a customer since 1999 and not going anywhere soon.

So….we’ve been remodeling our old house and part of it was replacing all exterior siding with hardie plank. Our contractor started 2 weeks ago yesterday and part of the job included taking down our dish. We’ve got great internet and every imaginable streaming service possible but every day for 2 weeks I still missed the Hopper and Dish service. I guess I’m just old but to me it felt like I was BADLY missing out. We had plenty of recorded shows to keep us occupied (along with streamers) but Hopper and Dish are irreplaceable for us. I know we’re living in a diminishing world (sat/cable/etc) but there has to be a segment still willing to pay, like us, along with paying for streamers. Anyone else in a similar situation? Subscribe to DIsh AND have abundant streamers but can’t live without Dish/Hopper? We can’t be the only one.

Cheers….Merry Xmas and Happy New Year…
I have said the same thing in the past. I am anxious to see the new device for the Hopper that will integrate streaming. That will surely be the best of both worlds!

I started fooling with streaming with the 1st Roku. It has come a long way as far as variety but doesn't come close to Dish, even before the Hopper. Most that call themselves Cord Cutters always find a way to settle for the downgraded experience, based on "for the money".

I work hard so I have a tremendous respect for what it takes to "make ends meet". That being said, if you can no longer afford a premium service, like Dish, then you have to make decisions that prioritize your expenses. I have always, over 19 years, and only had the Top 250 so I am not really sure what the minimum you can spend is and still include the local stations but I know it will rival what would have to be spent to cut the cord, especially when you include some type of premium for ease of use and satisfaction.

Thank you

I work hard so I have a tremendous respect for what it takes to "make ends meet". That being said, if you can no longer afford a premium service, like Dish, then you have to make decisions that prioritize your expenses. I have always, over 19 years, and only had the Top 250 so I am not really sure what the minimum you can spend is and still include the local stations but I know it will rival what would have to be spent to cut the cord, especially when you include some type of premium for ease of use and satisfaction.

Thank you
That was the big thing when I bought my house, I needed to make cuts and the $120.00 a month Dish bill was on top of the list

Well cancelled the third account with DISH that I had for my aunt. The woman was nice and she said well you have had one account you cancelled that was 25 years old and one you cancelled a week or so ago that was 17 years old and this account was 18 years old. I said yes a long history with DISH and she said well since you are going with Sling tv you are still with Dishnetwork ,just the sister company. I told her I am sure that Charlie doesn't care which service I use as long as the money is going into his pockets. She laughed and wished me a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. So now my official history with DISH satellite tv is at an end.

Well cancelled the third account with DISH that I had for my aunt. The woman was nice and she said well you have had one account you cancelled that was 25 years old and one you cancelled a week or so ago that was 17 years old and this account was 18 years old. I said yes a long history with DISH and she said well since you are going with Sling tv you are still with Dishnetwork ,just the sister company. I told her I am sure that Charlie doesn't care which service I use as long as the money is going into his pockets. She laughed and wished me a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. So now my official history with DISH satellite tv is at an end.
Thanks for all your help for SatGuys.

Reactions: dishdude
Thanks Charles. Have had a long history with this site as well. I think it goes back to 2003. Still be posting and reading on this site.
Good. I am staying with DISH till the bitter end. But I have been thinking a lot about the end coming someday. Makes me sick thinking about it. We have several FireSticks and use several streaming services. Really sucks compared to the Hopper 3. I like your setup with AirTV combined with Sling. Thanks for all the info you have posted about it.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: dishdude