Can't order ppv with broadband connection.

utahusker

Original poster
Nov 2, 2005
Can't call out with broadband connection, but connection's ok

Hello, I have a VIP 722 and VIP 222 and both are connected to my network via Apple Airport expresses.

I don't have regular phone line connection on these due to no phone outlets are near the receivers. They both are successfully connected to my network. The problem is, I can't order PPV with the remote. I get an error msg stating "call out failure"

I can however download movies on dish online, they just aren't the current movies offered by PPV or VOD. That proves my broadband is functioning properly.

I've been on the phone with three different techs and three different answers.
1) call your ISP
2) that's the way it's supposed to work
3)we'll send you a refurbed receiver, because mine is malfunctioning.

I like #3 the best, but my VIP 222 does the same thing, making me curious as if there needs to be a port forwarding setting done on my Airport Extreme base station.

All I want to do is order a movie through my remote!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
You can order the ppv online by accessing your account on Dish's website. Anything order would appear on all your receivers not just the one used by the remote.
So what you're saying is I can't order Pay Per View through my remote?

Try resetting your connection from the broadband screen (menu 6, 1, 8,1) and then test the connection (menu 6, 3, connection). If it comes back broad band OK, then try to call out (same menu screen), it may say no call out pending, that is ok. Then try to order the PPV again and see if it works.

Last I checked several functions still require a phone line. They have been talking about fixing these eventually.

Last I checked several functions still require a phone line. They have been talking about fixing these eventually.

That is true, but ordering PPV is NOT one of them. I do it all the time (and it correctly shows up on the bill). I have no phone line at all, only naked DSL.

Try resetting your connection from the broadband screen (menu 6, 1, 8,1) and then test the connection (menu 6, 3, connection). If it comes back broad band OK, then try to call out (same menu screen), it may say no call out pending, that is ok. Then try to order the PPV again and see if it works.
I've reset it but I haven't tried calling out in the same screen, since it states the broadband is okay.. I'll try it this evening. Thanks everyone for all of the responses, this a minor annoyance, but it still bothers me.

You can order the ppv online by accessing your account on Dish's website. Anything order would appear on all your receivers not just the one used by the remote.

A little off topic but I saw your reply and have a question. I usually don't order PPV but since I have these coupons to use up I might as well. You stated that if you order online the movie is available on all receivers. Does that go for if order by remote to, or if you order by remote is it only available on the receiver you order from?

I tried what you said. It says broadband okay, but it can't call out:confused: What's weird is I can download movies on Dish Online, but I can't call out. What's the port is uses to call out, maybe my Airport Extremes firewall isn't allowing it to call out.

It should be standard ports. Do you have anything blocked? If so you could try to open it up just to test.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)