Can't pick a new phone

I got the T-Mobile G1 (The first android phone) way back when it first launched and still have the phone and use it as my only phone. I love the layout and design of this phone. The keyboard is perfect.

The only issue is the hardware is far out dated. I wish they would take this phone and simply upgrade the hardware and screen and thats it. Leave the layout alone. The keyboard is perfect, the general feel is perfect it just needs more power. A nicer resolution screen would be great also.

The phone I have been waiting for since November on Verizon is the HTC Incredible. Latest rumors have it launching this month on the 29th. It's running Android 2.1 w/ HTC's SenseUI. I can't wait for this phone...

.::HTC Incredible Specs (evergreen)::. - Android Forums

Yeah, it will probably be the replacement for the Eris, which has reached its end of life.

I am not on the SenseUI interface; I downloaded a port of it to my droid, and just don't like the wasted space at the bottom for the phone buttons. I do like the clock.

IF this is indeed the incredible looks like... (from engadget)
18mar10verczw0384h.jpg

... based on the textured nature of the BACK of the unit, it should be able to get around iphone patent violation claims.

While I am not a fan of the SenseUI, there is a very good review of the Droid Incredible on AndroidCentral.

Review: Verizon HTC Droid Incredible | Android Central

Gotta say the hardware specs on this look nice. Just wish they had gone with the 16GB card in addition to the internal memory, rather than splitting it with 8GB of internal and an 8GB card.

Verizon continues to push the market with the latest Droid. Definitely gives a knock out punch to its little brother the Eris - which of course, Verizon has already killed. :)

Now, on towards the Moto Droid 2 - hopefully (and this is just me hoping) around November, when my year is up. :D

The good reviews keep coming in for it... here's one from Engadget.

Let's just put this out there: the Droid Incredible is the best Android device that you can purchase in America right now. It's better than the Droid, better than the Nexus One, and certainly beats the pants off of any previous generation handsets like the Eris, myTouch, or Cliq. It's not just a very, very good Android phone (though it is); it's also an excellent smartphone no matter how you cut it.

I'm still holding out to see exactly how WinPho 7 gets implemented; but this bad boy makes it extremely tempted to run out and get one when my new every two hits this summer...

I just read some reviews of the Incredible. It certainly looks intriguing and may be what I'm looking for in a phone. Still, it does look like there's a few issues concerning battery life, so I think I'll let them sort those out before I try and get this phone.

One quick stupid question though for Verizon users. I sadly realize that unlike AT&T I can't make calls and browse the web at the same time, but will I still be able to receive calls if I'm doing heavy data stuff? For example, I used to stream Sirius internet radio through my phone (before they changed their security and my program became moot) and if it wasn't on AT&T 3G, I would get NO phone calls or txt messages until the internet streaming stopped. How would this type of scenario work on the Verizon network?

I guess if you are willing to accept the locked-down OS, and the SenseUI, then it is the "best," but I'll take the full customizability of "The" Droid. over the Incredible. But it is great to have yet another excellent phone out there to put pressure on the iphone. :)

I guess if you are willing to accept the locked-down OS, and the SenseUI, then it is the "best," but I'll take the full customizability of "The" Droid. over the Incredible. But it is great to have yet another excellent phone out there to put pressure on the iphone. :)
Define "locked-down." What can't I do with the HTC phones that I could do with a pure Android?

Define "locked-down." What can't I do with the HTC phones that I could do with a pure Android?

I think he might have been referring to my interest in the Windows Phone 7 when he said "locked down." It is going to be about as closed as the iPhone OS...

The knock on the Sense UI is that it is a little cluttered for some people who would prefer a more clean, streamlined UI.

I think he might have been referring to my interest in the Windows Phone 7 when he said "locked down." It is going to be about as closed as the iPhone OS...

The knock on the Sense UI is that it is a little cluttered for some people who would prefer a more clean, streamlined UI.
No I think he was referring to Android phones. One thing I read of is the fact that HTC-made Android phones do not get updated as regularly as pure Google Android phones, meaning that many people with HTC-based phones are still waiting on OS updates. And whenever someone takes an existing OS and modifies it for their needs, thus going against a few main principals of an OPEN OS, bad things can (or are believed will eventually) happen.

One thing I read of is the fact that HTC-made Android phones do not get updated as regularly as pure Google Android phones...
Not to split hairs, but Nexus One - Google Android phone - is made by HTC.
I think the key question is: can you install any app you like? If not, it's not exactly open.

But I don't think this has anything to do with the manufacturer but rather where you got it from...

Diogen.

The only Android phone I've seen that is closed, is the mess AT&T made of the Backflip. But that's AT&T for ya....just look at how long it took them to release an Android phone. They finally saw that people didn't want an iphone and were going to other providers to get an Android phone.

Not to split hairs, but Nexus One - Google Android phone - is made by HTC.
I think the key question is: can you install any app you like? If not, it's not exactly open.

But I don't think this has anything to do with the manufacturer but rather where you got it from...

Diogen.
Right. I just saw that as I looked at stuff on Nexus One. But then how do I tell if an Android phone is completely open or not? Is it a case-by-case basis? I'm pretty sure the AT&T Android Phone (as there appears to be just 1 so far) was criticized for being closed off like an iPhone (and that AT&T seemed poised to continue this trend.) As I stated before, I'm rather strongly against the iPhone system of not being allowed to install what I want without jailbreaking, and I'm not looking to have to modify my ROM/OS in order to do what I want with my phone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts