Can't pick a new phone

I would do one of two things.

1. Bite the bullet and get the Nexus One. Yes $529 is Steep but you will have No extended contract and the fastest phone on the market for processors. Having a 1GHZ Snap Dragon will make a difference.

2. Move to VZW and get the Droid. It now operates Android 2.1. I have my phone customized with different Rom.

Yes the iPhone apps can be nice and handly but as you stated Apple tells you what you get to load. Apple clearly has said no chance on ever see Flash. Now with more sites going to HTML5 this may not matter. And in actuality we may have Apple to thank for that.

If I ever bought an iPhone it would be Jail broken. This will give you tethering and multitasking now. I came from two different BB(Tour and Storm). I even tried the TP/2 on T-Mo for about 2 weeks but I just couldnt adjust to the shrink in 3G and overall Coverage. Now having the Droid it is the best thing I ever did. Basically every app I use on my iTouch is on Android.

As for Jag72 and the lack of flash by all, get Skyfire on WinMo and that issue is corrected. Also the issue with your Droids it's because they are the HERO and Moment. My boss has the Moment and it is SO slow I cant believe it. When it operates slower than my Storm, that aint good.

My wife has a slide out keyboard and I never use it on her phone. As I stated keyboard i very subjective. Heck if you only need a keyboard the Droid is a much better piece of hardware IMO. I was figuring that you were more talking about the layout of the keyboard.

I've played with the Droid...nice phone but the keyboard was a huge turn off..worse than my Mogul in 2007. I'm talking about the layout and feel of the keyboard. I type long messages and emails sometimes on my phone so it has become a requirement to have a nice large well laid out keyboard.

As for Jag72 and the lack of flash by all, get Skyfire on WinMo and that issue is corrected. Also the issue with your Droids it's because they are the HERO and Moment. My boss has the Moment and it is SO slow I cant believe it. When it operates slower than my Storm, that aint good.

I never said the lack of flash by all.

The Hero and Moment are not that slow. I have no problems with the speed of the devices. The only problem I have is the availability of applications.

I've played with the Droid...nice phone but the keyboard was a huge turn off..worse than my Mogul in 2007. I'm talking about the layout and feel of the keyboard. I type long messages and emails sometimes on my phone so it has become a requirement to have a nice large well laid out keyboard.

That is what I thought you were talking about until you went on just having a keyboard tangent.

That is what I thought you were talking about until you went on just having a keyboard tangent.

Guess it kinda shows I love the keyboard, eh?

I was talking with an iPhone user about the Sprint EVO 4G phone. I mentioned the lack of keyboard and I heard the same argument of you don't need it. I handed him my phone and and he typed out a few sentences and he immediately said..."woah!! why doesn't apple make a phone line this? love the keyboard, weight, and feel!"

Guess it kinda shows I love the keyboard, eh?

I was talking with an iPhone user about the Sprint EVO 4G phone. I mentioned the lack of keyboard and I heard the same argument of you don't need it. I handed him my phone and and he typed out a few sentences and he immediately said..."woah!! why doesn't apple make a phone line this? love the keyboard, weight, and feel!"

I want the EVO 4G phone. If they don't have an iPhone by December this is the one that I will have.

I never said the lack of flash by all.

The Hero and Moment are not that slow. I have no problems with the speed of the devices. The only problem I have is the availability of applications.

would you recommend one over the other? i'm due for an upgrade in about 6 weeks and want to go droid. i would hold out for sprints new 4g phone but 4g won't be coming to the worlds most famous beach anytime soon.

i've gotten one really good recommendation for the samsung moment.

does anyone know when this summer that 4g phone is suppose to be released. everything i read is only saying summer 2010!

Keyboard was mandatory for my new phone (Droid) until

1. I found the Droid kb sucks.
2. Swype has changed how I'll type on cell phones forever so now I don't care, the platform just better have Swype (in beta still)

Your issue with the keyboard layout is a very subjective one. My opinion is the TP2 is laking in some areas that others excel at. I hated when I was using the touch screen on the TP2. It was not very responsive in my testing. Worked great with the stylus but why really wants to use the stylus anymore.

jag- the screen on the TP2 is not capacitive type and requires a precise pointed pressure spot to work. If you hate digging out the stylus, trim a fingernail to a point. I call it the Howard Hughes finger tool ( he would trim his finger nails to the shape of small tuning tools to adjust trim caps on circuits.)

jag- the screen on the TP2 is not capacitive type and requires a precise pointed pressure spot to work. If you hate digging out the stylus, trim a fingernail to a point. I call it the Howard Hughes finger tool ( he would trim his finger nails to the shape of small tuning tools to adjust trim caps on circuits.)

I've just been using my fingers and not the nail ever since I ditched the TP1 and moved to the TP2.

Scott:

I saw your addon battery and while it does the trick you took a slim design and made it into a device twice the volume as my TP2.

The ipad keypad is a bit bigger than the iphone keypad. My fingers are wide and dry and not as good as a person with small damp skinned fingers.

BTW- Scott, I've been meaning to ask you about satguys design. On my ipad I have difficulty touching the pages on these forums ( The page boxes for selection). Not very accurate since the boxes of numbers are so small. Maybe if I had little fingers, a little sweaty, they would be easier. Can you make the boxes about 50% larger? On the TP2 I can use a stylus and even on that small screen it works accurately enough. :D

Flash- So far the only issue I've had with Flash or lack of on the ipad was a test of the Hulu site. I don't use it anyway and I understand they are changing to html5 anyway.
As for my old business ( retired from it now) the new webcast host guy we hired decided to switch from wmv to Flash. he has had so many complaints of public not being able to see the content, I understand he is switching back to wmv again.
I'll look for the wmv app for the ipad. I do need that, moreso than the Flash player.

The security camera trouble goes back to first generation iphone, maybe it works now. Next time my daughter come here, I have her check to see if she can load the web app from Panasonic security on her iphone. I test my ipad on it later. I thought it used java to control the camera.

Also- The memory issue became important when I decided I wanted my GPS to work without the internet. I have downloaded 15 Gb of maps from Google so when I'm in the middle of nowhere, like Death Valley, I still have GPS. Tracky allows you to store every Google Map you download into a large Cache on the SD card. It loads faster than online maps and works everywhere even when you have no phone service. My belt case for the TP2 holds 3 16Gb Micro SD cards, a spare battery and a tiny micro sd card to USB adapter. The case is not much bigger than the phone itself.

Last edited:
I was on an airplane with my TP2 KB open and screen tilted back watching a movie and the lady sitting next to me saw it and said: " What a cute laptop. Its the smallest one I have ever seen." LOL!

When it comes to browsers, the standard browser on the Berry is much better than in the past, but still lacking compared to the competition. You can however load Bolt or Opera and overcome this problem. Have not heard anything about developers leaving the platform, but I guess that is possible.

On the android side, I had the Hero for a few weeks, and honestly, I liked the OS. My main problems with it were hardware related. I wanted a larger touchscreen, and prefer a keyboard. That and I never got the reception I was used to with the berries I have had in the past.

So now I am with the Tour. In novemeber, I will reconsider again. If there is a good large touch screen+keyboard droid available with Cell South, I will probably snatch that up.

When it comes to browsers, the standard browser on the Berry is much better than in the past, but still lacking compared to the competition. You can however load Bolt or Opera and overcome this problem. Have not heard anything about developers leaving the platform, but I guess that is possible.

On the android side, I had the Hero for a few weeks, and honestly, I liked the OS. My main problems with it were hardware related. I wanted a larger touchscreen, and prefer a keyboard. That and I never got the reception I was used to with the berries I have had in the past.

So now I am with the Tour. In novemeber, I will reconsider again. If there is a good large touch screen+keyboard droid available with Cell South, I will probably snatch that up.

yup, your problem is your provider - as the Moto Droid would have met all your requirements and then some. Of course, you wouldn't have been able to accessorize your phone the same way. I guess you could get a pink skin for it. ;) :D

(Sorry guys, private joke). :D

yup, your problem is your provider - as the Moto Droid would have met all your requirements and then some. Of course, you wouldn't have been able to accessorize your phone the same way. I guess you could get a pink skin for it. ;) :D

(Sorry guys, private joke). :D

Haha, I would change to verizon, but for here, nothing compares to Cell South on plans, price, and coverage. They are just a little behind in getting the latest and greatest (although they did shock alot of people getting the Hero the same time as sprint). I have read that the phone availablility may be about to even up somewhat though.

You are right though, the droid would be my android choice as of right now.

And I could still find a way to accessorize!!!!:D

Haha, I would change to verizon, but for here, nothing compares to Cell South on plans, price, and coverage. They are just a little behind in getting the latest and greatest (although they did shock alot of people getting the Hero the same time as sprint). I have read that the phone availablility may be about to even up somewhat though.

You are right though, the droid would be my android choice as of right now.

And I could still find a way to accessorize!!!!:D

Yep, in Mississippi the provider to have is Cell South... the few times I go to Mississippi and get off the main roads I'm roaming on their network. Glad I have free roaming and Cell South is there to pick up the slack! ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)