Can't pick a new phone

Its not just the icons, its the ease of installing new application and having everything work together. (And actually work.)

How do you install an app on the Palm Pilot?

Its not a religion, it just works and works well.

No matter what phone you chose you are going to find that you are trying to emulate an iphone. Why put yourself through that and just get an iPhone.

About the only thing I don't like about the iPhone is that is on AT&T. If it were on Verizon or Sprint I wouldn't hesitate recommending the iPhone to folks.
Because maybe some other phones can do those things better than the actual iPhone? I haven't exactly heard stellar reviews of the touchpad keyboard and I don't feel I should have to sacrifice the ability to use Flash while I browse the web. Just because something was the originator doesn't mean it will stay the best.

A main contention of mine against the iPhone is the fact that even though there are TONS of apps available to download, it's only the apps that Apple approves. I know that for 95% of users this isn't an issue, but I'm part of that annoying 5% who demands the ability to install whatever I want. For example, I really want a video game emulator for my phone. I have one on my WinMo that works fine, and all I had to do was download it from the internet and install the cab file on my phone. If I wanted to do that on an iPhone I'd have to scour around the internet and then jailbreak my phone, because Apple doesn't approve of emulators.

I don't care how "easy" it is to jailbreak the thing. It doesn't make it "right" and it opens you up to more security problems. Of course one could argue the same thing about unapproved apps, but I just don't like being told what I can and can't put on my phone. It's MY phone, and I'll do whatever the hell I damn please with it! I don't like being told what I can and can't do, and I like it even LESS when it's done by a huge, heartless corporation that lives by it's own rules and standards.

Don't get me wrong, I completely understand where you are coming from. I didn't like Apple controlling the apps either. There are just more apps for the iPhone than any other device right now. There are apps for it that don't have a good counterpart on Android right now. Hopefully that will change soon but for now I really miss the apps I used to have.

Because maybe some other phones can do those things better than the actual iPhone? I haven't exactly heard stellar reviews of the touchpad keyboard and I don't feel I should have to sacrifice the ability to use Flash while I browse the web. Just because something was the originator doesn't mean it will stay the best.

The flash issue is almost all phones at the moment.

Its not just the icons, its the ease of installing new application and having everything work together. (And actually work.)

How do you install an app on the Palm Pilot?

Oh, installing apps on a palm pilot was easy. But that is not really the point.

You make it sound like the iPhone works better than any other smart phone; and the reality is that just is not true. It is no better than an Android-based phone, which does not need the intervention of itunes. And everything I run on Android actually works - and works well.

I have an ipod touch, I have an Droid 2.1; I have used both extensively; the ipod OS has its strengths, but it has many deficiencies. I like having my calendar be on a home screen; I like having weather widgets; facebook widgets; I like being able to go to a file manager and easily find the files that are in use; I like the open-source nature of the OS, and the incredible innovation that offers; while there are a few games on my ipod touch that I can't (yet!) have on Android, there is so much more.

I like my calendar being google calendar -- no syncing really needed; since its the same calendar; I like using multiple email accounts on my droid; I like voice to text and voice search commands; I like multi-tasking - having up to six apps running at the same time. I like the virtual keyboard so much better than the one on the iphone/ipod touch. I like NOT being on AT&T.

I like having multiple batteries for my Droid; so when I am traveling and do not have the ability to plug in, I can keep on working.

All of these things work -and they work well. The iPhone was incredibly important in serving as a tipping point for the smartphone market -- but it does not mean that is is "the best" just because it is by Apple.

The flash issue is almost all phones at the moment.

Not on WinMo. I know when I browse this site on my phone using IE and there's a YouTube video I just click the play button and it plays right in the web browser. I assume YouTube still uses flash.

I don't try to make my phone emulate the iPhone either. Very far from it. I find the interface on the iPhone very plain and boring.

Now I'll admit I do try to make my phone emulate Android by even running a setup of Android on it from time to time. Why not get an Android phone? Two reasons... there isn't an Android phone that has the hardware comparable to the Touch Pro2 and I don't want to give up my $30 a month plan I have with the TouchPro2.

I like multi-tasking - having up to six apps running at the same time.

This is the #1 reason that I switched.

I like NOT being on AT&T.

I am an odd ball but I miss the AT&T network. It is actually the fastest in my area. I do like that I have unlimited everything on 5 phones for less than I was paying for AT&T with 2 phones having unlimited data and 3 regular phones.

Two reasons... there isn't an Android phone that has the hardware comparable to the Touch Pro2 and I don't want to give up my $30 a month plan I have with the TouchPro2.

I do not fully agree that there is not an android phone comparable to the TP2. I do agree with not giving up your old $30 plan.

Not on WinMo. I know when I browse this site on my phone using IE and there's a YouTube video I just click the play button and it plays right in the web browser. I assume YouTube still uses flash.

I don't try to make my phone emulate the iPhone either. Very far from it. I find the interface on the iPhone very plain and boring.

Now I'll admit I do try to make my phone emulate Android by even running a setup of Android on it from time to time. Why not get an Android phone? Two reasons... there isn't an Android phone that has the hardware comparable to the Touch Pro2 and I don't want to give up my $30 a month plan I have with the TouchPro2.
Sadly the TP2/Tilt 2 for AT&T seems to be extremely lacking. The reviews of it from AT&T.com range from praising to murderous and many of them say that the first version was better and that this one can't even keep time properly. I attribute that more to AT&T installing all their bloatware as opposed to the phone developers themselves.

I do not fully agree that there is not an android phone comparable to the TP2. I do agree with not giving up your old $30 plan.

Please let me know which phone I'm missing. Two things I couldn't go without is the nice QWERTY keyboard layout/keyboard feel, and the huge screen. I could live without but having the dual mic/dual speaker noise cancellation speakerphone with the mute button on the back of the phone is a nice feature I've used several times.

Sadly the TP2/Tilt 2 for AT&T seems to be extremely lacking. The reviews of it from AT&T.com range from praising to murderous and many of them say that the first version was better and that this one can't even keep time properly. I attribute that more to AT&T installing all their bloatware as opposed to the phone developers themselves.

Haven't had that issue on the CDMA side... it is always right on the money, but you have to since it's CDMA involved. Love the new Sense 2.5 interface and the Facebook integration (don't think AT&Ts ROM has 2.5 unless you go custom)...don't use the Youtube and Twitter intergration yet. No complaints with this phone compared to the ones I had with the regular Touch Pro hardware.

Top ten reasons I won't have an iphone:

( until these issues are fixed )

1. AT&T Will never use them as a carrier.
2. Can't swap batteries.
3. Memory limited to what's purchased with the phone.
4. No multitasking.
5. Lack of hard keyboard as the on screen one is too small for me.
6. Organization of icons is cluttered
7. Tethering not allowed.
8. Flash limits my use for my business website.
9. Can't load my security cameras
10. Restricts the media content I'm permitted to load like wmv files limits my own business webcasts.

And Scott- I disagree, because of the above, the iphone just DOESN'T work.

Last edited:

2. Can't swap batteries.
4. No multitasking.
10. Restricts the media content I'm permitted to load like wmv files limits my own business webcasts.
Well the new OS will fix at least 2 of those issues, but I don't see many of those other ones being resolved anytime soon (except maybe for #1.)

Please let me know which phone I'm missing. Two things I couldn't go without is the nice QWERTY keyboard layout/keyboard feel, and the huge screen. I could live without but having the dual mic/dual speaker noise cancellation speakerphone with the mute button on the back of the phone is a nice feature I've used several times.

Your issue with the keyboard layout is a very subjective one. My opinion is the TP2 is laking in some areas that others excel at. I hated when I was using the touch screen on the TP2. It was not very responsive in my testing. Worked great with the stylus but why really wants to use the stylus anymore.

2. Can't swap batteries.
4. No multitasking.

I am editing my post to add in the part about the battery. I have TWO batteries for my Droid; and can easily swap them out. Can't do that with my ipod touch or my ipod classic, or an iphone.

Don - doesn't the flash argument work against your ipad as well? Wouldn't it suggest that an Android-tablet would be better for that purpose?

I am editing my post to add in the part about the battery. I have TWO batteries for my Droid; and can easily swap them out. Can't do that with my ipod touch or my ipod classic, or an iphone.

Don - doesn't the flash argument work against your ipad as well? Wouldn't it suggest that an Android-tablet would be better for that purpose?
The battery thing does irk me a bit as well. My motorola Q actually came with a standard battery and an extended battery which I found to be quite appealing. Actually I have 4 batteries because when my first phone broke all I did was send back the actual phone itself and they sent me a brand new version of the phone with all the accessories and an updated OS. All that because my "Q" button (ironically) broke.

Your issue with the keyboard layout is a very subjective one. My opinion is the TP2 is laking in some areas that others excel at. I hated when I was using the touch screen on the TP2. It was not very responsive in my testing. Worked great with the stylus but why really wants to use the stylus anymore.

The keyboard thing is once you go to a nice slide out keyboard you can't go back...kinda like the argument of now that I have a DVR I can't go back to a non-DVR receiver.

Must have been something wrong with the one you had, I never pull my stylus out and I don't have long fingernails either...pretty much nil on the fingernail length. Love the touchscreen response on this thing. I'm still shocked when I take my big thumb and tap a little link in IE and it recognizes the right one somehow.

I agree, biggest fault I have with the iPhone is the carrier. :)

2. Can't swap batteries.
Nope but you can add on like I do.

I have a 32GB phone and am only using about half of it. Not an issue for me now, but I do agree it would be nice if you could add more. (But in the apple way, if you want more you buy a new phone.)

4. No multitasking.
Fixed in 4.0

Not an issue for me, I use to think it was an issue when I had a Windows Mobile phone and said I couldn't use an iphone due to its lack of a real keyboard. But it has become easy for me, much like its easy for you now on your iPad.

Not with 4.0

Thats an AT&T issue, as the phone supports tethering.

Agree, but most websites are changing so that they work on Apple devices. Adobe filed today that their growth might be affected because of this.

Why is that? It is flash based or there is not an app for that yet? I know others who watch their security cameras on their iphone.

There are apps which can play file formats which the iPhone does not support natively.

The keyboard thing is once you go to a nice slide out keyboard you can't go back...kinda like the argument of now that I have a DVR I can't go back to a non-DVR receiver.

My wife has a slide out keyboard and I never use it on her phone. As I stated keyboard i very subjective. Heck if you only need a keyboard the Droid is a much better piece of hardware IMO. I was figuring that you were more talking about the layout of the keyboard.

FYI the issue with the touch screen is typical of a Windows mobile device.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts