Can't Record Sub Channel

jackbyron

Original poster
Dec 27, 2013
USA
My guide does not populate my sub channels so there are no "events" separated by specific times of the day or night in the guide. I've tried to create a manual timer but it shows conflict in the schedule due to no info. Even when I tune to the program and press record it reverts to the manual timer menu but still shows a yellow conflict in the schedule. Any fix?

My guide does not populate my sub channels so there are no "events" separated by specific times of the day or night in the guide. I've tried to create a manual timer but it shows conflict in the schedule due to no info. Even when I tune to the program and press record it reverts to the manual timer menu but still shows a yellow conflict in the schedule. Any fix?
We need a touch more information. What DVR are you using and if it is a Hopper, which guide (CUI or Legacy)...

Pardon the sanity check, but you don't already have something recording (or scheduled to record) on another OTA channel at the same time as the one you are trying to create the manual timer for, do you? With the OTA adapter, you only have a single OTA tuner available for watching or recording.

Nope. 1 OTA trying to record. I select record on the screen and the create custom timer pops up. It shows the channel, frequency, date, time and type. Interestingly I select the show to record while watching at 10am and the time shows a range of 11am-3pm. I'm pretty sure it is impossible to record ANY channel when there is no info showing in the guide.

You can normally do it with a manual timer. I have a couple setup. Sounds like what you are trying to do, but maybe try the following method for creating it, if its different than what you've tried. Go to the DVR list, and to the Timers tab, then hit the Options button on the 50/52 remote or the Red Button on the 40 remote. Then in the menu that appears, you should see an option for "manual timer"...and try setting up one from there. Not sure if the results will be any different, but maybe worth a try.

What good is the $60 OTA Dingle if the Hopper doesn't show the program listings and you can't record the programs? What am I missing?

Dish gives you OTA guide data for the main networks (NBC, FOX, etc.) that are also provided as sat channels. In most markets, you also get OTA guide data for at least some of the OTA subchannels, but Dish stopped adding/updating new subchannels a couple years back. There isn't any real rhyme or reason for which subchannels in each market get guide data and which ones don't. As for recording, like I said above, you can normally do manual timers for channels that don't have data. Not the cleanest way, but it usually works fine.

If you want the content on those particular OTA subchannels that Dish doesn't carry, its better than not having them at all. :D

Dish gives you OTA guide data for the main networks (NBC, FOX, etc.) that are also provided as sat channels. In most markets, you also get OTA guide data for at least some of the OTA subchannels, but Dish stopped adding/updating new subchannels a couple years back. There isn't any real rhyme or reason for which subchannels in each market get guide data and which ones don't. As for recording, like I said above, you can normally do manual timers for channels that don't have data. Not the cleanest way, but it usually works fine.

If you want the content on those particular OTA subchannels that Dish doesn't carry, its better than not having them at all. :D

Even some of the main networks are incorrect. The CW channel in my local market is still one that displays incorrect data. I reported it a few weeks ago, but who knows if it will ever be corrected.

I have my only local sub channel METV that has what looks to be a PBS program guide. I create manual timers no problem with specific times of the day and night. They record but obviously displays the wrong program title. If it's Mannix I record it and shows the manual timer info in the schedule and the wrong program title in the DVR when finished recording. Have no idea if guide info is provided by DISH. I'll live with this for now. But I think my local PBS subs CREATE and others will never show up like GRIT, LAFF, COZI and others if DISH decides to add those at a later date.

I set up a manual timer on my channel 005-02, which is the Decades channel and has no program description, just fine yesterday and it recorded.

OFF TOPIC: If you have the PBS app on your IPTV box, I find it to be better quality and full format. Some PBS stations run postage-stamp versions of the shows (16:9 in 480i/p) with black bars on the top and bottom. I finally convinced my in-Laws to use the PBS app instead of the DVR to watch Americas Test Kitchen. They were amazed at how much better it looked!

ON TOPIC: This has been a pet peeve of mine for some time. I can schedule a manual timer, but usually I have to enter the Unlock code to watch it since there is no Guide Data, it records as NR/AO which exceeds my Ratings filter. Although I suppose I should forget about trying to protect the innocence of my 19-year old son since he's a college sophomore now. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)