can't scan in channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hanson

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 15, 2009
ky.
on g-11,i can't scan in the cw nets,even when i enter the vids and aids manually. using a coolsat 5000.

Boy, that's a pretty significant bug, if the 5000 can't do a manual scan. I've criticized my 8100, because you can't do manual scan on channels that have AC3 audio or MPEG4 video, but not being able to do a scan or regular A/V channels is a pretty bad bug. I'm surprised that they wouldn't come out with a fix for that.

I thought everyone here liked the 5000?

Boy, that's a pretty significant bug, if the 5000 can't do a manual scan.
the 5000 can do a manual scan but just not a PID scan....its a minor issue because there are so few channels that require a PID scan

The link posted above is an odd way but necessary. If you need to do a PID scan and the transponder its on has one channel that will scan in, then you can do a "edit pid" option...I do that with Yesterday USA....scan in a scrambled channel and edit the pids.

But CW has 3 channels and NONE scan in, so you have to do it that monkey shine way....but it works ;)

I thought everyone here liked the 5000?

LOVE the 5000....have 2 in use right now

the 5000 can do a manual scan but just not a PID scan....its a minor issue because there are so few channels that require a PID scan

I know different receivers define these terms differently, but what I call a manual scan is a PID scan, since that is how you create manual channels. I think that what Coolsats calls a manual scan is what I would call a transponder scan. Not particularly important how you name it though.

But I think PID scan IS a pretty useful feature. Hiding channels by not having PMTs for them is a cheap alternative to encryption that is used quite often, particularly for channels that don't last very long when they are testing. If people don't find channels when they scan a transponder, they assume they aren't there. Over the past few years, I've run into many dozens of channels that requirred manual channel PID entry. Most of them only lasted a couple days or weeks, but some have lasted for many months. If I found that many, there are probably twice that many that I didn't find. Right now, I'm only aware of a half dozen or so besides the CW channels, and that's typical, but it's still a pretty useful feature.

If worse comes to worse, I can hook the 5000 up to the computer and use Channelmaster to create the channel ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)