can't teach 54 remote ??

Don_23805

Original poster
Oct 28, 2022
So Prince George, VA
I'm trying to teach my 54 remote to learn vol up/down commands from an existing remote. Everything seems to be working (clean slate, tap 54 vol up button, press & hold vol up on existing remote, SAT flashes), but when I preess the SAT button to save my new commands, I get "unknown error". What am I doing wrong?
TIA
Don

I'm trying to teach my 54 remote to learn vol up/down commands from an existing remote. Everything seems to be working (clean slate, tap 54 vol up button, press & hold vol up on existing remote, SAT flashes), but when I preess the SAT button to save my new commands, I get "unknown error". What am I doing wrong?
TIA
Don
That learning function has never been very dependable. What device are you trying to program it for?

Reactions: charlesrshell
Trying to learn from the remote for a Fire TV Stick that I had set up to do up/down for my Sonos.
Is there ANYTHING good about Dish?
It's not going to work for a Firestick. It works for TV's, Audio systems and DVD/VCR's.
If you want it to work for a Sonos, then use the Remote Control settings menu

Reactions: charlesrshell
Sorry, may have mixed up my participles . . . I'm not trying to make the 54 control the Firestick. I've set up the Firestick remote so it cotrols the Sonos, and I'm trying to have the 54 learn that IR code so it, too, will control the Sonos.
Sems to follow all the on-screen instructions (4" away, press, praees & hold, etc) until it gets to Press the SAT button to save. That's where it dead ends in an unknown error.

Sorry, may have mixed up my participles . . . I'm not trying to make the 54 control the Firestick. I've set up the Firestick remote so it cotrols the Sonos, and I'm trying to have the 54 learn that IR code so it, too, will control the Sonos.
Sems to follow all the on-screen instructions (4" away, press, praees & hold, etc) until it gets to Press the SAT button to save. That's where it dead ends in an unknown error.
You don’t have to do all of that to teach it how to run a Sonos. Go to settings, remote control settings, click on auxiliary device, scroll down to Sonos and then let it do its little scan. When it’s done, click on the auxiliary button on the side of the remote and check the volume. If the volume works click on the sat button on the side of the remote and then select finished. Back out, and you have to pack all the way out because there’s a little glitch here.

Go back into remote control settings and scroll down to where it says control mute and volume and select that so it changes to auxiliary device. I program remotes for Sonos systems all the time.