cant update software on vip211 and 1000.4?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

waldo22

Original poster
Apr 1, 2010
Chapel Hill, NC
It took me forever to find this (old) thread. I thought my 211 was broken. (it may well be)

Sorry for the n00b-ish questions, but:

1) how do I get the thing to "download" the latest upgrade once I've selected 61.5 and T29? I am getting a green bar with 81 to 82 signal strength.

2) does it have to be plugged in to a phone line? I've got it plugged in to CAT5 with an Internet connection (EDIT: the 211 with the software L264 doesn't appear to support Ethernet)

my 211k works perfectly plugged into the same line, but this 211 only has options under "point dish" for 300, 500, and Super.

AFAIK I am on an "Eastern Arc" dish, 1000.4, which should get 61.5, 72, and 77, right?

Thanks a bunch,

-Wes

Last edited:
Update:

When I select sat 61.5 and T29, it gives me a green bar, then it goes red and says:

"Wrong Sat - EchoStar 77 West"

It still has a strength of 82, and it is still set on 61.5 and T29.

Does this mean anything to anyone?

-Wes

PS. I also now have it plugged in to a phone line.

Thanks for your reply.

When I do a check switch, it doesn't give me any information that I know what to do with...

It goes through "1 of 38" and goes through all 38 "steps"

but it just says nothing is acquired. It says Port 1, Staellite X, Trans X
switch NONE

Do I choose SuperDish or alternate?

Any suggestions on how to force this to upgrade?

It seems like I need to upgrade the software on this thing before a meaningful check switch will work.

Used to be, you could run checkswitch with no LNBs hooked to the STB and "clear" the memory, to get a fresh start. Might still work?

GL, Eric

Something is not right,If you have a 1000.4 dish then you supposed to have a dpp44
switch ,if you already running a check switch a got to38 tp then you have a legacy switch installed,Dp gear and legacy gear can't be use together,

Thanks HIFI, but that doesn't work either.

It never started the download.

Could it have anything to do with the
Wrong Sat - EchoStar 77 West
Error message?

Do I have to try plugging it in to an older dish that it supports?

It's like the receiver is picking up 77 where it expects 61.5 to be...

The only receivers listed on my "point dish" screen are 300, 500, and Super.

Maybe the 211 can't even pick up the 1000.4 dish with this older software version.

Is there any way to upgrade the software via a flash drive or something like that?

-Wes

OK,

so I plugged in an old Dish 500 dish that my neighbor gave me, and the check switch picks up 110 and 119 no problem.

It acquired both satellites, went through all 5 steps, and told me my receiver needs to be activated.

This tells me that the receiver needs the new software in order to know that it should be looking at 61.5, 72, and 77.

Anyone know what satellite/transponder I need to point it at with this Dish 500 dish to get it to update?

110 or 119 are my 2 choices :)

Thanks a bunch for all the great replies.

-Wes

just power off the receiver for a couple minutes. It grabs the software from 119.

Turn off the receiver and within a couple minutes the green light will come on and the TV should say "downloading information...do not disturb" or something of the nature.

I bought a new 211K from the Dish Store earlier this year and had a similar problem. I called dish tech support and the CSR said that the receiver did not have the correct software to see all the sats on my 1000.4 dish. He sent a hit to my receievr and walked me througn the setup while we were on the phone. It worked great.

Just wanted to report back and thank everyone for their help. I was able to get it working.

Make sure you have the NAGRA-3 Purple Smart Card.

That did the trick.

I had to:

1) call Dish to activate the receiver (the receiver was disabled, but still on someone else's account. What a pain)
2) they had to send me the purple NAGRA-3 card
3) install the card 3 days later then call back to re-activate with the new card no.
4) install the old Dish 500 dish and point it to 110 and 119 (I'm not sure if this was necessary or not.... but I did it)
5) turn off receiver
6) it grabbed the update from 119 as Iceberg said.
7) re-install my Eastern Arc dish
8) do a check switch.

What a PITA.

The first CSR at Dish said I couldn't even activate that receiver...

Thanks to all of you for the kind replies...

-Wes

Just wanted to report back and thank everyone for their help. I was able to get it working.

That did the trick.

I had to:

1) call Dish to activate the receiver (the receiver was disabled, but still on someone else's account. What a pain)
2) they had to send me the purple NAGRA-3 card
3) install the card 3 days later then call back to re-activate with the new card no.
4) install the old Dish 500 dish and point it to 110 and 119 (I'm not sure if this was necessary or not.... but I did it)
5) turn off receiver
6) it grabbed the update from 119 as Iceberg said.
7) re-install my Eastern Arc dish
8) do a check switch.

What a PITA.

The first CSR at Dish said I couldn't even activate that receiver...

Thanks to all of you for the kind replies...

-Wes

What do people do that don't have an old dish 500 laying around? Is there no way to update other than shooting 119?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)