Can't watch recorded sporting events through Dish Online

bortery

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2011
US
I never experienced this with Dish Remote Access, but since the move to Dish Online, when I record a sporting event and try to watch it later, it keeps taking me to live TV.

I chatted with Dish Online support 3 months ago, and they said it was a known issue and they were working on it.

I chatted with Dish Online support again today, and their explanation is in the transcript below:

Dish Support: That means that the providers have blocked the events so they can't be transmitted via the internet.
Dish Support: Sometimes they are available on the providers website.
Dish Support: Sometimes they are coded so they can't transmit.
me: really? that's the first i've heard of it
Dish Support: It's part of the digital security in the sporting blackouts.
me: so some sporting events i can't record on my dvr and watch through dish online?
Dish Support: Correct.
me: i see
Dish Support: It's to keep the event from being seen outside the market area.
me: one of the main reasons i got dish was to record sporting events and watch them remotely
me: i may consider leaving if that functionality isn't present
Dish Support: Dish isn't controlling it is from the providers.
me: again, i used to record shows sporting events on Dish Remote Access
Dish Support: It won't be available from any provider. It is not a Dish thing. It's part of the anti pirating software and encoding that is now being used.
me: ok
Dish Support: Some HBO content for example can't be viewed via sling. You have to log into HBOgo.com to view it.
me: i see
me: i did not know that
Dish Support: It's a similar concept and will probably become more restrictive.
me: tivo has the same restrictions?
Dish Support: Depending on the provider and the content yes.

So my question is, is this true?? It's the first I've heard of it, and it never happened to me on Dish Remote Access.

Can anyone else watch recorded sporting events through Dish Online?

So has no one else had this issue? Or it's been a known issue for a long time and there's nothing that can be done?

IMHO, the CSR does not know about which they speak and are blowing smoke.

I have never had a problem watching a sporting event, or anything for that matter through my Sling adapter.

You are able to watch whatever you can watch at home. Is it only sport recordings that are giving you issues? Is there any problems when you try to watch it from your dvr?

I can tell you for certain that a friend of mine in another state was able to watch the live games for my local nfl team, as well as a local college basketball team via sling. I'm not sure about watching them if they were on the dvr as a recording.

You are able to watch whatever you can watch at home. Is it only sport recordings that are giving you issues? Is there any problems when you try to watch it from your dvr?

Thanks for the reply, Zach!

Yes, I am able to watch them on my DVR at home. It's only when I try to watch them through Dish Online on my DVR that it continually takes me to live TV. It's only sporting events.

As mentioned in the chat transcript, I was told this was a known issue back in January. Do you know if there's a current bug being looked at?

Did you ever try watching your sling adapter through the old dish remote access?? The site is www.dish.sling,com I think it works better than DishOnline.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I recently began doing so, and it does work much better, but how long are they going to keep it around for? I am under the impression that they will eventually take it down, and there will only be Dish Online. When that happens, I still want to be able to watch recorded sporting events, so I'd prefer they get this worked out now.

zach,

i have a hopper at home, linksys ea 3500, cox is ISP. I can load the guide, and view my recordings on dishonline, i can select & watch live channels, i can select dvr recordings but can not view them, dishonline goes to some channel, but will not play any my recordings. Tried the dish remote access on android galaxy s2. same thing i can see dvr recordings but when i click on watch, i get a live channel. How can I watch my dvr'ed content. Extremely frustrating, I went with dish cuz of the sling feature- i travel and want to watch my recorded sports games or other content & cant. you can pm me pls

As random as this may seem, when I've seen this in the past usually it's an intermittent connection issue causing it. Normally the easiest way to fix it is to get the receiver IP address from the broadband menu and add it to the DMZ list on your router and that may fix it.

Wonder if this has anything to do with my gripe about not being able to watch anything that is being recorded.

Dishlover said:
Wonder if this has anything to do with my gripe about not being able to watch anything that is being recorded.

If I had these issues I would take the receivers ip address which you can find in the broadband menus and put it into the DMZ list on your router and I bet that helps. I've seen this many times and usually that fixes it because it's an intermittent connection issue even if that sounds like an unlikely cause based on behavior. It only takes a couple minutes and it's worth a shot.

I've had this problem too and I doubt it has anything to do with router configuration and more to do with Dish Online being a crap site. I have no problem playing back any recording events with the DRA iOS app, or with the previous DRA site I've been blocked from using since Dish changed their website (yes, I know somehow some of you can still access it, but some of us can't). Other recordings play fine, and live sports events play fine, but recorded sports events or recorded events from channels on free preview refuse to play via DO (but play fine on the iOS app).

That, in addition to the loss of core functionality in DO compared to DRA like only being able to start a recording at the beginning instead of where you left off has me just this close to trying a standalone Slingbox or a competing product like a Vulkano Flow where I'm not tethered to the flaky DO website.

Nominal said:
I've had this problem too and I doubt it has anything to do with router configuration and more to do with Dish Online being a crap site. I have no problem playing back any recording events with the DRA iOS app, or with the previous DRA site I've been blocked from using since Dish changed their website (yes, I know somehow some of you can still access it, but some of us can't). Other recordings play fine, and live sports events play fine, but recorded sports events or recorded events from channels on free preview refuse to play via DO (but play fine on the iOS app).

That, in addition to the loss of core functionality in DO compared to DRA like only being able to start a recording at the beginning instead of where you left off has me just this close to trying a standalone Slingbox or a competing product like a Vulkano Flow where I'm not tethered to the flaky DO website.

I'm pretty sure the resume function is something coming in the future. I agree that dol.com has been less than perfect but it works for the majority of people who use it including myself. I see all the negative feedback about it,but what we don't see is all the users it works for. It has also been getting some updates over the recent past that has made it much more stable in my opinion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts