CBS HD Feeds

Status
Please reply by conversation.

frostatbc

Original poster
Jun 11, 2004
I live in a rural area of Colorado and can subscribe to East and West coast network feeds. I just upgraded to an HD receiver. Pegasus tells me that I cannot get the CBS HD East coast feed, only the West coast feed since I live in the Mountain time zone. Has anyone else run into this problem?

I was unable to get the CBS HD feed in the Northern Va area because they are privatly owned,and would not grant the wavier.Fox did grant the wavier(not much HD on thier network yet)and I get both the east and west feeds.My understanding from Directv was that if CBS had granted the wavier I would have gotten both east and west from CBS

Assuming you do qualify for CBS-HD, D* will ONLY give you one or the other, based on your time zone. (CBS-NY if you're in the east & central time zone, CBS-LA if you're in the mountain & west time zone) This is & has been D* policy since day 1 of the HD feeds going up & there is NO way around it.

If you want east and west coast versions of all the networks the only recourse seems to be Canadian satellite.
In terms of OTA TV, they offer Boston and Seattle ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC, and PBS feeds, along with WGN HD.

"Fox did grant the wavier(not much HD on thier network yet)"
FOX Does NOT boadcast in HD yet!

dishrich said:
Assuming you do qualify for CBS-HD, D* will ONLY give you one or the other, based on your time zone. (CBS-NY if you're in the east & central time zone, CBS-LA if you're in the mountain & west time zone) This is & has been D* policy since day 1 of the HD feeds going up & there is NO way around it.
That is not true. I get both feeds of CBS HD.

Well, according to D*'s own website, that IS the way is supposed to be:

http://www.directv.com/see/landing/cbs_hd.html

Customers in the Pacific and Mountain Time zones receive CBS HDTV programming on channel 81 (KCBS, Los Angeles).

Customers in the Central and Eastern Time zones receive CBS HDTV programming on channel 80 (WCBS, New York).

What I'm thinking is, if you are ALREADY getting BOTH (NY & LA) CBS distant nets, maybe THEN they give you BOTH feeds. BUT, if you ONLY have a local channel pak, & you ARE elligible for CBS HD, then they ONLY give you the one feed.

I have both feeds too. In fact, I think the CSR screwed up b/c she said I qualified, but D* had told my neighbor he did not. I told my neighbor, "whatever you do, don't tell them you should be able to get the feeds b/c I do!" LOL.

Fox is starting to broadcast HD now.Nascar was HD last sunday and news has been HD durning the week end and on Monday.Also I have the wavier for Fox and have both the East and West channels coming in.Lets eveyone quit with the so called facts unless you work in the upper chain in Directv, because some crap coming out of a friends mouth at Directv is just that hear-say crap

I'm no nascar fan, but flipped by the channel over the weekend while surfing. WTTG Fox 5 (Wash DC) was broadcasting the event in enhanced widescreen, not HD. Where did you see an HD broadcast?

And I, for one, would still like to hear the rumor mill.

Forgive my ignorance, but does that really mean that the broadcast was HD? I get the same OTA signal (channel 5-1), and my box upconverts everything to 1080i. So, my TV displays a 1080i signal, but it's really just an upconverted 480p signal ("enhanced widescreen") from Fox. They do this with the NFL games too. The picture difference between that and NFL HD games on CBS is night and day.

Did it look HD?

Believe me, I hope you are right, but I haven't heard of fox going HD yet. I thought it was scheduled for year end.

I am not sure what stb you have we have the Hughes HTL-HD,when you go to a channel the banner displays the info about the channel.The HD logo in the far left part of the channel guide does not light up unless the signal is HD,I was also under the impression that Fox would not start HD until Sept-Oct,the PQ was great you could read the logos on the car very easly which was not possible earlier(April-May).I don't think it was 1080-I think it was 720p-I belive that is what CBS broadcast in.I will pay more attention this weekend (in between smoking the ribs) when it was broadcast from Michigan,if the enhanced has been broadcast in past races then this was HD,not perfect but really good.

Wow, I really hope you are right. Not for Nascar (LOL), but for Fox in general.

CBS is 1080i, ABC is 720p, and NBC is 1080i (i think)...regardless, your box will convert to the native scan rate of your tv.

FYI - HDTV CBS Delivered!

I contacted my affiliate directly today and was provided the following information. I thought I would share as this may help others. I did chage the order of entry to make the post easier to read.

Me: I would like to know whom I may contact at you station to get waiver approval for the CBS-HD feed via DirecTV. I am unable to receive your DTV signal from my Loveland location and would enjoy much more programming if it were available to me in DTV or HDTV. I would be more than willing to surrender this receiving capacity upon completion of the Lookout Mountain you're working on with the Lake Cedar Group.

CBS: Thanks for writing. DirecTV and CBS made a deal that viewers in DMA where CBS owns a station automatically can get a waiver for the LA CBS station's HD signal. You are covered by that.
So you need to call DirecTV and tell them you talked to KCNC, and we told you to call back to get an HDTV signal set up.

They will probably require you to get a waiver from another CBS affiliate like Cheyenne. But your KCNC waiver is automatic.

If you can't get through to them, e-mail me back your full address and account number, along with your choice, and I'll pass it on to DirecTV. Sometimes customers have problems getting to the right department.

I just called D* and the station is now active on my receiver! FYI, I did not know what a DMA was so I asked the lady at CBS (Wendy) and she sent me the following while I was on the phone with DirecTV.

CBS:
A DMA is a "designated market area." Nielsen (the ratings people) look at each county in the US and determine what city's TV stations the majority of people in that county watch the most. If they watch Denver the most, that county is part of the Denver DMA.

Because the Denver stations are offered on cable and on satellites like DirecTV, we have quite a few counties in our DMA. The Grand Junction stations, for instance, aren't watched as much, so there are only 2 counties in their DMA.
A DMA is important when the satellite company start to comply with the federal laws. If you're in the Denver DMA, you probably won't get to see the stations in Colorado Springs, and vice versa.

Re the denial by KCNC and KGWN in Cheyenne, I would suspect that DirecTV put you in the computer that requests an Analog waiver, not an HDTV waiver. So, I will e-mail DirecTV for you. They should be contacting you soon.

I imagine this will help many of us in obtaining our HD spot beams! Good Luck All!

branchbouncer said:
Fox is starting to broadcast HD now.Nascar was HD last sunday and news has been HD durning the week end and on Monday.Also I have the wavier for Fox and have both the East and West channels coming in.Lets eveyone quit with the so called facts unless you work in the upper chain in Directv, because some crap coming out of a friends mouth at Directv is just that hear-say crap
Was it really HD or are you possibly confusing it with Fox's Enhanced Widescreen ? Are you saying you receive the east & west feeds of Fox in HD ? I agree about the so-called facts. By the way, what is it you said you do in your job with Direct TV ?

WaltinVt

Branchbouncer: what a quality post.
Can we even count the inaccuracies?
To start: Fox net is NOT yet in HD.
Second: The NASCAR race from the Poconos was NOT in HD.
But there is one thing you are accurate about: "hear-say crap" as you call it is in good supply in your post.

Sorry to offend you fred,was just implying that the picture may have been HD,all other times that fox has covered the race the PQ is not that great,the receiver also shows the 480I format,this past weekend the receiver showed that the signal was 720P and the PQ of the picture was quite good.As far as the hear say crap sometimes it sounds like childern trying to ruin Christmas for other childern,or again like little boys saying John love Susan.I have my own company and the very last thing you do is talk hear say,stick to the facts.I love how the facts worked out for our poor service men and women in Iraq,my brother in law is on security detail in Bosnia right now and I am sure can't wait to get home,if they don't get new facts on weapons on mass destruction and send him home via Iraq--------------If more HD comes out great(I am not going to hold my breath) but the hear say has been going on since HDTV sets were first sold

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)