CBS' Jericho: A Familiar Story

NOHDjunkie said:
Although the black dude with the machine guns and the hazmat suit thing is kind of interesting, the other stuff is fluff. and not very good fluff.

Yeah, he is rapidly becoming a very interesting character since he knew about the guy from Denver. Curious to see what his deal is.

Mike

Lennie James as Robert Hawkins (The Black guy) Is very interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jericho_(TV_series)

The storyline revolves around the small, rural town of Jericho, Kansas, and what happens to its residents, in the aftermath of a nuclear explosion in nearby Denver, Colorado which causes a loss of power and communications that leaves Jericho isolated. The reasons for the nuclear detonation are not immediately known. Cut off from the outside world after learning of a second explosion at Atlanta, Georgia, facing rumors and fears of further attacks against other U.S. cities, and a breakdown of public order and the chain of command, the community must find some way to survive in the midst of panic and chaos.
The pivotal character is Jake Green, a 32-year-old prodigal son who returns home to Jericho for what he believes will be a brief visit, but becoming stranded when the nuclear strike hits. After a tense reunion with his father (the mayor of Jericho), Jake turns into an unlikely hero, rescuing others, organizing various efforts and protecting the town from dangers both inside and outside its borders.

Cities believed to have been attacked and/or destroyed

Established in the first episode:
Established in the second episode:
Established in the third episode:
Established in the fourth episode:
These cities are presumed to have been either destroyed or severely damaged by nuclear explosions. As of the fourth episode, there is still no indication as to who might have originated these attacks. Note also that while many of these cities are home to military bases and facilities, there have apparently been no attacks reported that were obviously aimed at military targets.

CBS Gives Jericho a Full-Season Order
Source: CBS
October 12, 2006

CBS has given "Jericho," its freshman hit drama about the aftermath of a nuclear explosion on a small, peaceful Kansas town, a full season order.

"Jericho," averaging 11.3 million viewers, 3.4/10 in adults 18-49 and 4.6/12 in adults 25-54, has boosted CBS's performance in the Wednesday, 8:00-9:00 PM time period by +48% in viewers, +36% in adults 18-49 and +48% in adults 25-54 compared to last year.

As part of a three-hour drama block that includes "Criminal Minds" and "CSI: NY," CBS has seen its Wednesday ratings increase year-to-year by +34% in viewers, +22% in adults 18-49 and +30% in adults 25-54, the Network's biggest night of ratings growth. CBS is first on Wednesday in viewers and adults 25-54 and a close second in adults 18-49.

"Jericho" stars Skeet Ulrich, Gerald McRaney, Ashley Scott, Pamela Reed, Kenneth Mitchell, Lennie James, Sprague Gradon, Michael Gaston, Erik Knudsen, Brad Beyer and Shoshannah Stern.

Source

mike1973 said:
Yeah, he is rapidly becoming a very interesting character since he knew about the guy from Denver. Curious to see what his deal is.

Mike

Yeah, I'm curious too about what his deal is. And what is he doing in his laptop?

I am enjoying the show; the black guy provided an interesting twist with that computer email.. although I wonder if there would be any network for him to send it through. :D

rockymtnhigh said:
I am enjoying the show; the black guy provided an interesting twist with that computer email.. although I wonder if there would be any network for him to send it through. :D

He seemed to have some kind of usb dongle that he took out. I'm sure there are contingency plans in the event of a disaster or attack that would have some kind of network available to those who need it. Just need to know who he is and how he has access to it!

Mike

That's why I ask about his laptop. I don't believe that the Internet is available so what exactly is he doing? All I saw was the word "Memphis" in his laptop screen. I didn't see the USB dongle but it could be a Wireless Network adapter.

We love the show, but I must admit the last couple episodes seem to be stuck in a spin cycle...that or the writers are building up the suspense because I'm dying to know what the heck is going on outside of Jerico; and what is the so-called former St. Louis law officer doing with his laptop and covert communications channels. I can only assume that he is communicating via a satellite uplink.

Tonight's show should be good. I'm tempted to read ahead...

they have to watch they don't do stupid things, ala, Threshold last year. Threshold has great potential, but they didn't have a writer's guide, or if they did, it was too loose. They had stuff in Threshold that contradicted stuff from episodes earlier. That is annoying!

Spoilers ahead matey!
Last week, a stupid one. The hospital is about to run out of gas for the generator, so they wait until it only has a few minutes of gas to go get more. Pleeeeez! Why not pump it and get it that morning or earlier.

The girl has a party and has a generator. Why didn't she use it during the rain storm? They sat shiverring waiting for the storm to end.

Sat dishes, surprised you all didn't pick this up. The bar sat dish. They were only moving it horizontally to get a signal of the Japenese newscast, as we all know, you need to follow the belt! :)

And a few more nits like that!

Phil

Last edited:
By the way, when you want to do a spoiler, instead of putting in a bunch of space, just write spoiler inside of brackets, to look just like quote does. And then when you are done, put /spoiler inside brackets.

It would do something like this:

Nothing real, just an example

Its my thought that we really don't need this, since when you read the TV threads, you are taking the chance you will learn something that happened. Half of the fun is discussing the various show's twists and turns. :D

By the way, when you want to do a spoiler, instead of putting in a bunch of space, just write spoiler inside of brackets, to look just like quote does. And then when you are done, put /spoiler inside brackets.

It would do something like this:

Nothing real, just an example

Its my thought that we really don't need this, since when you read the TV threads, you are taking the chance you will learn something that happened. Half of the fun is discussing the various show's twists and turns. :D

I editted my document to do just that. Thanks!

I was correct...the ex-cop was using a satellite uplink to communicate with the outside world. Big questions, is he a good guy or bad guy? Nice twist finding out how the proverbial son has a mysterious past. The writing hasn't been that great, but I like the concept of the show. It's still holding my interest and doing well in the TV ratings.

The premise is good. The silly situations every week are weak. The fire at the library was silly and completely unbelievable. (I'm an electrician) And the fact that they had to call the Mayor to go down in the basement of Town hall to turn off a portion of the power grid was very amusing.

Since when does a small town have any control over their power grid? And when did they start putting power substations in basements of buildings?

Jericho has no local power company no small power CO-op? Does the Mayor have a line truck to fix the lines when a tree takes out a pole during a storm?

Silly, just plain silly.

The almost complete lack of concern from everyone in town is remarkable. The majority seem to be waiting for normalcy to return in the next few days although they appear to be aware that at least 6-8 MAjor US cities were nuked.

Would anyone in their right mind expect normalcy in any near future?

Just from the disruption the economy and not to mention of food and gas transportation, would make for serious consequences.

Completely unbelievable situations. It's fun to watch just for the train wreck effect of the poor writing. It's fun to critique the show.

So, this was the "fire" episode. What fun will the writers have in store for us next week? Will all the toilets back up? Will our hero "MacGyver" his way through town with a jury rigged super septic sucker truck?

Or perhaps Jericho will suffer from a plague of aphids that will put the corn crop in jeopardy. Will our intrepid bunch of idiots spend the majority of the episode saving the day in some bizzarre (SP) unrealistic fashion, completely unrelated to the major plot line of nuclear destruction of US cities??

Tune in next week to find out....

Still strong in the ratings...

The "Dancing with the Stars" results show, 12.5/20, grabbed the night's biggest audience for ABC at 8 p.m. "Jericho" put CBS in second with a 6.8/11. Game 6 of the National League Championship Series was third for FOX. NBC's "30 Rock," 3.9/6, and "Twenty Good Years," both fell significantly in their second week. "America's Next Top Model" delivered a 3.4/5 for The CW.

I am always amazed by how good these stupid dancing/talent shows do. But Jericho is doing better than Heroes (I know different night, but I think of these as similar shows in some ways).

I personally still like the show, yes some of it is nowhere near realistic but its not a reality show ('cause we all know how realistic those are!). Its almost a little scarry though with current events right now. When those missles went up last night it was a bit spooky!

Mike

I personally still like the show, yes some of it is nowhere near realistic but its not a reality show ('cause we all know how realistic those are!). Its almost a little scarry though with current events right now. When those missles went up last night it was a bit spooky!

Mike
Me too...I just watched, heck sometimes you can't believe some of the news channels and thats supposed to be fact... ;) I watch TV for the entertainment value not for the Joe Friday version
Just the facts Maam
:)
</IMG></IMG>

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts