CBS Seeks to Unwind Retrans Agreement With Dish Network

However with that said I still believe we could see autohop go away if DISH was given local insertion time to insert its own commercials during the prime time shows (Much as is done with many cable networks now, where DISH is given 1 to 2 minutes per hour to show their own ads. If DISH had this ad time available it would turn off AutoHop so that it could insert its own commercials.
So Dish developed this knowing in the long run they would take it away from us to benefit them self? If so, that's sad...

But, they can, and do, do that now. Did you think Turner Broadcasting puts all those penis and breast enhancement commercials on CNN?
Of course they do. Money is money. You honestly believe you only see them because of DISH???? WOW!

Each time I press the button on the remote, it is STILL the Dish equipment skipping the commercial (or 30 seconds of the recording).

The Networks will say no it's not - each time you must make a conscious effort to push a button, by the user to skip. Now (they will argue) you do that once, but then Dish equipment alone is doing it. Aside from the claim Dish is changing the stream, it would come down to does the subscriber have to push the button each time for it to be at the subscriber end, or can the receiver skip the commercials after being told to do so once by the subscriber.
This exactly where new technology that was not thought of comes into play. I know my opinion- once or each time, it's still a subscriber choice not a Dish choice. Just because there is technology that I can use to make it easier does not materially change that.

It does seem some markets get luckier than others. The Hartford Ct market (A small market by comparison) has every channel in HD, including PBS and with the exception of MyNetwork that was just added in HD from being SD, has had them for quite a long time. Just like NESN seems to be a favorite of Dish - Games have generally always been in HD for quite sometime now, Virtually every Red Sox game has been for a long time even rescheduled ones and ones part of a day/nighter.....

Where do you live? Maybe you are not as important....... :p

Last edited:
That is good. However, why was my locale not included. Our locals (except two) are sent in HD but, for some reason, Dish does not deliver them in HD. So why can I not use PTAT if I want to? Why are people in the other markets more important than people in mine?

I doubt it has anything to do with your importance. I'm sure they had to start somewhere and i would assume that list will keep growing in time.

The Networks will say no it's not - each time you must make a conscious effort to push a button, by the user to skip. Now (they will argue) you do that once, but then Dish equipment alone is doing it. Aside from the claim Dish is changing the stream, it would come down to does the subscriber have to push the button each time for it to be at the subscriber end, or can the receiver skip the commercials after being told to do so once by the subscriber.
This exactly where new technology that was not thought of comes into play. I know my opinion- once or each time, it's still a subscriber choice not a Dish choice. Just because there is technology that I can use to make it easier does not materially change that.

Exactly. How many times do people forget to push the button to skip because they are multitasking? How many times do they get up and do something during a commercial break and let the commercials just run (and can still hear them)? People do not skip every commercial even if they have instant skip button. The autohop eliminates any chance of a commercial escaping!

True, and that's probably the crux of why the networks are so against this. Truth is sometimes a commercial will start and I want to see it because it's good. Most recently the KFC "Goes Boom" commercial....Unfortunately for the networks I don't know if that's enough to say it's not legal.

True, and that's probably the crux of why the networks are so against this. Truth is sometimes a commercial will start and I want to see it because it's good. Most recently the KFC "Goes Boom" commercial....Unfortunately for the networks I don't know if that's enough to say it's not legal.
That is one of the few commercials in a long time that gets on my nerves. Hate it...and her...go BOOM. Wife and I decided no KFC for a while because of it. Not that we go more than once a year...but probably not this year.
GO BOOM!

Last edited:
It does seem some markets get luckier than others. The Hartford Ct market (A small market by comparison) has every channel in HD, including PBS and with the exception of MyNetwork that was just added in HD from being SD, has had them for quite a long time. Just like NESN seems to be a favorite of Dish - Games have generally always been in HD for quite sometime now, Virtually every Red Sox game has been for a long time even rescheduled ones and ones part of a day/nighter.....

Where do you live? Maybe you are not as important....... :p

Just goes to show you just how much power Scott has in the Satellite biz!:D

Does Viacom still own CBS, or is it the other way around? I ask because one of the articles I was reading about the lawsuits against the Hopper said that CBS, NBC, and Fox were not accepting advertising from Dish. I expect the Hopper ads I see on Comedy Central are inserts by Dish, not national ads.

With my history, if I call Dish to upgrade to a Hopper/Joey, Dish will lose this suit. So, I think it's best for everyone that I just sit put for now.

I don't understand your advice for us. What doea this suit over one feature have to do with upgrading to the Hopper?

With my history, if I call Dish to upgrade to a Hopper/Joey, Dish will lose this suit. So, I think it's best for everyone that I just sit put for now.
I hear ya. If I had discovered my conus locals a year earlier we wouldn't still be discussing the switchover to E16, it would have been done long ago. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts