CBS stations return to DISH

Again another ignorant remark. It's CBS screwing you if you get a CBS owned local. They want more money than Dish is willing to pay. So Dish is legaly bound to not retransmit the signal.
So what is your CBNS local and have you checked if it's one of the 16 owned by CBS?

His location if you click on his profile says Northern California so unless he's in the San Francisco area or the Sacramento area, that would be a no. I know it's been posted already but here's a reminder for everyone of the O&Os of CBS Television stations:

Los Angeles KCBS-TV CBS, KCAL-TV Independent
Sacramento - Stockton - Modesto KOVR 13 CBS, KMAX-TV 31 The CW
San Francisco - Oakland - San Jose KPIX ++ 5 (29) 1995 CBS, KBCW 44 The CW
Denver KCNC-TV 4 CBS
Miami- Fort Lauderdale WFOR-TV 4 CBS, WBFS-TV 33 MyNetworkTV
St. Petersburg - Tampa WTOG 44 The CW
Atlanta WUPA 69 The CW
Chicago WBBM-TV 2 CBS
Indianapolis WBXI-CA Analog Class A LPTV 47 Tr3?s
Baltimore WJZ-TV 13 CBS
Boston WBZ-TV 4 CBS, WSBK-TV 38 MyNetworkTV
Detroit WWJ-TV 62 CBS WKBD-TV 50 The CW
Alexandria, Minnesota KCCO-TV (satellite of WCCO-TV) 7 CBS
Minneapolis - St. Paul WCCO-TV 4 CBS
Walker, Minnesota KCCW-TV(satellite of WCCO-TV) 12 CBS
New York City WCBS-TV 2 CBS,,Riverhead, New York WLNY-TV 55 Independent
Philadelphia KYW-TV 3 CBS, WPSG 57 The CW
Pittsburgh KDKA-TV 2 CBS, WPCW 19 The CW
Fort Worth - Dallas KTVT 11 CBS, KTXA 21 Independent
Tacoma - Seattle KSTW 11 The CW

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CBS_Television_Stations

Reactions: ChadT41
Yes, me and dish went seperate ways. It has nothing to do with the company but the specific management within my call center. That situation has since been rectified, including new Hr, new GM, and new management all around.
As far as when I stand up for dish, it's because when I do, it's when something stupid is being said. I will agree with complaints about dish, when it is not something that is someone just speaking from emotion. I agreed about the 222 decision, that that specific decision was dumb, from a business standpoint, but at the same time I have a feeling they have a long term plan that is for the best of ALL customers. This conversation about "dish screwing customers" is dumb as well, since channel drops is something can happen as contracts are not in place. As @dwarren2 has clearly spelled out, this is not dish just not wanting to carry them. This is them not legally allowed to be carried. I'm not in an O&O area, but guess what, I'm still affected by showtime. You know what im going to do if it goes down. Watch something else, since I have a whole lot of other channels to watch, while I wait for it to come back. It won't be down for long if it goes down. And before everyone starts crying about CBS and their takedown, here is a little funny point. What reason should dish have to pay more, if CBS is effectively trying to bypass all the traditional TV models by releasing their own stream service? Say you are a business owner, and you are trying to sell tables. You have to bear the expenses of purchasing, shipping and insuring those tables, and still need to be able to sell them for a profit. Now the table manufacturer starts advertising out your front door, that you can skip going to the store and buy them directly from them. They'll take care of all the customers needs. Are you going to want to continue to py an increase in price for those tables, while the manufacturer is trying to cut you out anyways? No. So I do support dish in not just taking the first offer. Same with Turner. Their product has gotten consistently worse over the last few years. Dish warned them at the last renewal because of declining viewership. Yet they did nothing to improve it, and here we are again. So, please, put your emotions aside, and look at the facts.

Reactions: TheKrell
And btw, I fully expect the channels to come back, all of them, it's all about being patient. Which I know is hard, after seeing some people upset they haven't gotten the hopper update yet.

Reactions: KAB
Again another ignorant remark. It's CBS screwing you if you get a CBS owned local. They want more money than Dish is willing to pay. So Dish is legaly bound to not retransmit the signal.
So what is your CBNS local and have you checked if it's one of the 16 owned by CBS?
I have had issues with you before... it's KPIX. See you on the other side. These shills for Dish are amusing.

I love the black-and-white...you are either a Dish-basher, or a shill. There is no logical middle ground.
Sure there is, but this is a business deal that dish has broken. I signed up for a certain product, now they have taken it away. Simply I am not getting what dish agreed to provide for my money. If I refused to pay them they would eliminate my account. Perhaps I should consider moving on. The defending of dish is what it is..if that is black and white so be it.

After all this hoopla I'm going to be seriously disappointed if this dispute is resolved before the channels go dark.

Wonder what the record is for the most channels off the air at the same time because of disputes. Seems this could be record territory that Dish is approaching.

It may well be possible for Directv to advertise "someone drops Dish every 8 seconds" instead of "someone switches to Directv every 8 seconds".

I haven't done the math nor will I, but the 16 markets involved are some major players. It wouldn't be surprising if these markets had more people than the non affected markets combined.

If Dish had only a handful of channels left. They would still have the best dvr & be cheapest provider available. :rolleyes:

Reactions: ChairBound
Customers would always come first over shareholders, that's business 101 motto
But some seem to forget that because money comes first over everything else, Which is not always a bad thing when running a business sometimes, But Dish is making major profits, so they need to start thinking what customers truly want
Because at the end of it all amidst the disputes and saying we are doing this for customers

I find that hard to believe when prices continues to go up but making making good profits
Don't get me wrong profits is always a good thing for any business, but having good profits doesn't always measure success
when there's other flaws in the industry, and that is what customers are looking for is the bigger picture(no pun intended)
Continue to work in the little things and the customers and profits would work itself out.

Reactions: MikeD-C05 and 356B
Sure there is, but this is a business deal that dish has broken. I signed up for a certain product, now they have taken it away. Simply I am not getting what dish agreed to provide for my money. If I refused to pay them they would eliminate my account. Perhaps I should consider moving on. The defending of dish is what it is..if that is black and white so be it.
No. You'd like to THINK you signed up for a certain set list of channels. But read your agreement. You did not. They can change offerings at any time. If not, providers would have them over a barrel.

IF DISH keeps losing channels, while their prices keep going up, I see some real problems long term. This is an industry wide problem with all this extortion /price hikes going on by these channel companies. They are quickly killing the goose that laid the golden egg. Between their price hikes and DISH's ever increasing equipment and miscellaneous charge it because we can DISH fees, the customer has little choice. Either bend over and pay it , or churn or cut the cord entirely. All these factors are what will eventually kill the present cable /satellite model.

IF the FCC gets it's way and net neutrality is preserved , internet provided ott applications will be treated like sat/cable companies, which should mean more choices for consumers. They said if they treat them like cable and sat customers that broadband expansion would increase all over the country, in order to reach potential internet customers who want to watch tv over the net. Without net neutrality being preserved , you can expect even higher internet bills to make up for the lost revenue from video customers. The cable industry is hurting the most ,with over 150,000 customers last quarter dropping the video portion of their cable bills or dropping them entirely.

You should be able to get at least another $5 discount for three months if CBS goes off the Dish.

It wouldn't bother me that much if I get paid for the inconvenience.

His location if you click on his profile says Northern California so unless he's in the San Francisco area or the Sacramento area, that would be a no. I know it's been posted already but here's a reminder for everyone of the O&Os of CBS Television stations:

Los Angeles KCBS-TV CBS, KCAL-TV Independent
Sacramento - Stockton - Modesto KOVR 13 CBS, KMAX-TV 31 The CW
San Francisco - Oakland - San Jose KPIX ++ 5 (29) 1995 CBS, KBCW 44 The CW
Denver KCNC-TV 4 CBS
Miami- Fort Lauderdale WFOR-TV 4 CBS, WBFS-TV 33 MyNetworkTV
St. Petersburg - Tampa WTOG 44 The CW
Atlanta WUPA 69 The CW
Chicago WBBM-TV 2 CBS
Indianapolis WBXI-CA Analog Class A LPTV 47 Tr3?s
Baltimore WJZ-TV 13 CBS
Boston WBZ-TV 4 CBS, WSBK-TV 38 MyNetworkTV
Detroit WWJ-TV 62 CBS WKBD-TV 50 The CW
Alexandria, Minnesota KCCO-TV (satellite of WCCO-TV) 7 CBS
Minneapolis - St. Paul WCCO-TV 4 CBS
Walker, Minnesota KCCW-TV(satellite of WCCO-TV) 12 CBS
New York City WCBS-TV 2 CBS,,Riverhead, New York WLNY-TV 55 Independent
Philadelphia KYW-TV 3 CBS, WPSG 57 The CW
Pittsburgh KDKA-TV 2 CBS, WPCW 19 The CW
Fort Worth - Dallas KTVT 11 CBS, KTXA 21 Independent
Tacoma - Seattle KSTW 11 The CW

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CBS_Television_Stations
I will be affected by the Baltimore affiliate (WJZ) going dark BUT I can receive WJZ and KYW (Philadelphia) by antenna. So, let 'em go dark for awhile. It will be a good time to ask for a credit for both CBS and Turner going dark.

I can't believe that CBS would want or allow this to happen. We are talking major main markets being affected.
I doubt that they want it to happen but they also probably think that households will switch providers without a second thought. Some will, but I don't believe a lot wil.
I hope the fcc steps in.
And do what, tell Dish to pay what CBS wants ? Tell CBS to lower their price ? At best, they could ask (insist ?) that CBS allows the channels to remain in place while negotiations take place.

OK, you will be affected. But your blaming Dish is misplaced. I bet if Dish capitualted to all the demands for increased carriage fees and then raised your monthly bill, you'd be squawking about that.

Reactions: navychop
Are these disputes "greed" talking? Yes. On three parts...

1) The channel (whether OTA or network) owners want as much money as they can get for their product.
2) Dish wants to pay as little as it can for anything (channels, satellites, workers, computers, etc), because that means more profit.
3) Customers want as many channels as they can get while paying as little as they have too.

So yes, EVERYONE is being greedy.

ETA: Yes, affiliates benefit from their carriage on Dish (and Direct) because they reach viewers over satellite that normally wouldn't see them. BUT, Dish (and Direct) benefit because without the locals, their subscriber base was WAY lower. It's symbiotic.

Hooper connect to Internet

Letting 2nd hopper record shows.....I didn't know!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)