CBS stations return to DISH

this is the beginning of the end of paid TV as we know it. i'm sure in 10 years all TV shows, channels and everything else will be via the internet without the need of a paid TV provider as the middle man.

Before that happens, internet service is going to have improve significantly in many parts of the country. Of course, you may be only referring to your own little corner of the world. And, if it does happen, you can bet your modem that the cost of internet access will be as great or greater than what it costs now plus what you pay for television now. The method may be different but the cost will be higher.

Reactions: navychop
yep, it's clear now that a deal won't be made between CBS and Dish. i bet Dish should just go ahead and get ready for the mass exodus of fed up customers who are tired of paying too much on TV or sick of carriage dispute and try to get their favorite shows in a different way i.e. cut the cord and watch TV via internet.

this is the beginning of the end of paid TV as we know it. i'm sure in 10 years all TV shows, channels and everything else will be via the internet without the need of a paid TV provider as the middle man.
I disagree. 1st many people get CBS over the air and manual timers can be set for the over the air CBS channel on the timers page for any time from one time to all days( push DVR button on Hopper 4 times and select manual timers). 2nd the internet is a limited resource. Many suppliers are now limiting the amount of download gigabytes their users can get in a month. If every TV channel uses the internet most subscribers will exceed their allotted usage and the costs will be very high. In addition, most people get their internet from the same cable provider of their TV. If the channels screw those providers , the providers can limit the downloads even more.

OK, many can get CBS through OTA but how many of those people have TV antennas? Let's be honest here: convenience trumps over everything else. Once CBS goes dark on Dish, a lot of uninformed people are gonna blame Dish. Dish may say they'll give away free antennas and OTA modules and probably some discounts but for some of those people, they'll still say hell no and say something like "If I wanted to use an antenna, I wouldn't have cable TV in the 1st place." and demand to get CBS back.

If Dish thinks they shed a bunch of subscribers in just the last quarter go ahead and drop CBS with the NFL season in full swing and see what happens.

How many times do we have to tell people that Dish isn't dropping the stations. Without a contract they legally can't retransmit them. Put the blame on CBS not DISH.

It was the president of CBS who made CNet retract their Best of Show award for the HWS to Dish at CES because CBS was suing Dish over the Auto Hop.

Reactions: ChadT41
How many times do we have to tell people that Dish isn't dropping the stations. Without a contract they legally can't retransmit them. Put the blame on CBS not DISH.
It's just as much Dish's "fault" for not paying the asking price (not that I think they should). It's 50/50....

If you want some real entertainment, go on Dishes Facebook page, the comments regarding this are very comical

Reactions: ChadT41
And this would be a disaster for those who live in the country with poor ISP choices and low caps, but then again maybe somebody will come up with a true High speed and more liberal capped ISP by then.
And they will probably want 10 to 15 $/channel and that will add up too

Reactions: lazydogmot
My GF is a Cord Cutter, and says her family just cannot afford cable, so they got SuddenLink internet, and do nothing but DA(from my account) and Netflix. They just started their new data period and already maxed out. This is what the cable companies want to happen, to keep traditional TV alive.

After all, the federal gov't is supposed to be "of the people, by the people, for the people", right ?
Of course it is. Ever since corporations were deemed "people" by the Supreme Court, the gov't has catered to the "people" quite well.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Of course it is. Ever since corporations were deemed "people" by the Supreme Court, the gov't has catered to the "people" quite well.
I laughed at that statement, you'll get conflicting answers if the gov't have ever catered to them
they'll probably give you a complete background history and why Obamacare didn't work, instead of just No

Others would say If I don't see any money then No

And that's why America is so unique everyone have their opinions, afterall this is a land of the free with Freedom Of Speech
but some take it too literally.

Is there a way of recording OTA without having the guide data for name based recording? If there is I have never done it- procedure?
Thanks, Gerry
Manual timers are the way I did it before name based recording and still do on ota sub channels, because I still haven't got the newest software that is supposed to fix that problem. Hit dvr button 4 times till you see the timers red button and to the side is the green Manual timer button . Hit that and fill out the timer with channel, time start /end and whether it is weekly , one time only or Mon -Friday or Daily. Just like when you had a VCR years ago.

OK, many can get CBS through OTA but how many of those people have TV antennas? Let's be honest here: convenience trumps over everything else. Once CBS goes dark on Dish, a lot of uninformed people are gonna blame Dish. Dish may say they'll give away free antennas and OTA modules and probably some discounts but for some of those people, they'll still say hell no and say something like "If I wanted to use an antenna, I wouldn't have cable TV in the 1st place." and demand to get CBS back.

I am one that can, get CBS via OTA, only network cant pick up is our local fox, cant get a strong signal via the indoor antenna

Manual timers are the way I did it before name based recording and still do on ota sub channels, because I still haven't got the newest software that is supposed to fix that problem. Hit dvr button 4 times till you see the timers red button and to the side is the green Manual timer button . Hit that and fill out the timer with channel, time start /end and whether it is weekly , one time only or Mon -Friday or Daily. Just like when you had a VCR years ago.

Thanks- setup a manual timer on my 211K last night as a test- what a pain in the a*s!! But you might have to do what you have to do depending on the situation come weeks end...
Gerry

I'm traveling for work this week. I went ahead and set up a manual OTA timer for prime time hours (just in case this isn't settled).

Before that happens, internet service is going to have improve significantly in many parts of the country. Of course, you may be only referring to your own little corner of the world. And, if it does happen, you can bet your modem that the cost of internet access will be as great or greater than what it costs now plus what you pay for television now. The method may be different but the cost will be higher.
Could not agree more. 4.0/512 is the fastest DSL I can get, and it is often unreliable, so I have Exede as a supplement. All of these folks that think EVERYTHING is going IP based totally forget about the 50,000,000 plus Americans that live in rural areas.

Reactions: JSheridan
Have you seen the Dishnet offerings, https://www.dishnet.com/ . They have ALL OF 5GIG in basic package and 15 gig max in the $69.95 package. Not many 2-4 gig HD movie downloads. This is typical for all smartphone plans by the competition. Even Netflix streaming is about 1 gig per hour. Not the savior for high use customers. The average American watches TV 4-5 hours daily. Try that with 5 gig service. Your TV subscription cost will be less but your internet cost will be much higher. That is why Dish wants to move into the cell business.

I posted this earlier in the thread and I'm still wondering about it -- if the owned/operated CBS stations are dropped, what will happen to the guide data for the unaffected markets ? I can't recall if it's ever happened before (disputes with corporate-owned big-4 networks). We do know that Dish can differentiate the stations as they only apply the 3-day Autohop to corporate-owned ABC stations, so there's no reason they can't do the same here.

I think you hit the nail on the head. The non O&O stations will not be affected at all. If the station owner submits data to tribune and tribune to dish, should be fine. I see it as a completely seperate transaction.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts