CBS stations return to DISH

There are 14 markets (16 stations total) that are CBS stations that are O&O

The 14 markets are New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Detroit, Philly, Dallas, San Francisco, Boston, Sacramento, Miami, Denver, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Minneapolis.
Minneapolis has 2 satellite stations (KCCO & KCCW) and those are O&O too (but they only carry WCCO)

There are some other stations owned by CBS that are not CBS stations
list
http://www.rabbitears.info/search.php?request=owner_search&owner=CBS+Corporation

CBS is totally to blame. Anyone that wants to install an antenna can watch CBS for Free. Dish network is doing CBS a favor by including them in their channel line up. I do not think Dish should have to pay CBS anything because by Dish carrying their stations more people will watch and CBS can sell advertising for more money. If anything CBS should be giving Dish a cut of the additional ad revenues they get because of the expanded audience they get by being on dish vs OTA only.

Other than the highlighted area, which is totally not true, I agree with your post.

I would equate this with paying ransom to kidnappers. It should have never started.

The cable and satellite companies are doing the OTA networks a favor by carrying their signal. When CBS quits running 15 minutes worth of commercials every hour, that's when I would agree they should be paid for their programming.

Reactions: NotMe546
So will thousands of NFL fans

Probably, but many more will just wait it out or get an antenna. I saw this happen before with local channels and I was surprised with how many people actually waited it out instead of switching. Most people just threatened to leave and that was it. I think a lot of people find it too big of a hassle to switch providers. No doubt that Dish would lose a decent amount of subscribers because of football though.

I don't think the hit will be as bad as you think. I agree, an extension to summer would be better, but at the same time, I could see dish handing out free OTA modules.

Reactions: satjay
I don't think the hit will be as bad as you think. I agree, an extension to summer would be better, but at the same time, I could see dish handing out free OTA modules.

When we lost one of our local channels right before the Iowa bowl game years ago we had lost of customer complaints. I don't think we really lost that many customers but we sold a lot of antennas, OTA modules and upgrades to receivers that had OTA capabilities. This will be more of the same.

No doubt that Dish would lose a decent amount of subscribers because of football though.
7 of the 14 markets are AFC teams
Sacramento and LA are the oddballs
5 are NFC markets (although the Vikes/Bears game in 2 weeks is on CBS due to network flexing)

7 of the 14 markets are AFC teams
Sacramento and LA are the oddballs
5 are NFC markets (although the Vikes/Bears game in 2 weeks is on CBS due to network flexing)

Trust me, the amount of customers that leave due to that channel missing will not be as high as you think. The amount of people switching will depend a lot on how long the channels are off for though.

Reactions: ChadT41
Probably, but many more will just wait it out or get an antenna. I saw this happen before with local channels and I was surprised with how many people actually waited it out instead of switching. Most people just threatened to leave and that was it. I think a lot of people find it too big of a hassle to switch providers. No doubt that Dish would lose a decent amount of subscribers because of football though.
Not in the midst of the NFL playoff hunt

but many more will just wait it out or get an antenna
Even Time Warner started giving out antennas to their customers when they were in a dispute with one of the big 4 networks. In their case though, there was no DVR tie-in, program guide integration, and customers had to .... (gasp) .... switch inputs to watch the disputed channel.

I'm not sure that, no matter what provider I had, I would cancel or switch because a channel or channels got dropped. Life does not revolve around TV.

I agree. I like certain channels a lot but I'm not willing to give up the whole product that I have just because of a channel. I'm not sure what the magic number of my favorite channels to go missing is in order to make me switch. As I've said before, I'm not willing to give up my Hopper setup just because of a channel missing. The Hopper system works perfect for my house and has too many awesome features that I like.

Before someone posts otherwise the superstation version of WSBK will NOT go away. Supers can be offered (out of market) based ona statutory license and no negotiates rights are neeed.

There are many Over The Air channels I receive in the Pittsburgh area. I find myself watching the sub channels quite a lot, channels Dish don't carry. If they shut it CBS off,I don't care. Other Dish customers should look into getting antennas. This would then be a non issue, unless they shut off OTA. Who knows, that may happen some day.

I do believe sports have a lot to do with these price increases. I can do without ESPN. All I care about are my Pittsburgh teams which are on OTA. Why do I have to pay for ESPN?

I do believe sports have a lot to do with these price increases. I can do without ESPN. All I care about are my Pittsburgh teams which are on OTA. Why do I have to pay for ESPN?

If all you care about is on OTA, why do you pay for satellite TV at all?

There are 14 markets (16 stations total) that are CBS stations that are O&O

The 14 markets are New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Detroit, Philly, Dallas, San Francisco, Boston, Sacramento, Miami, Denver, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Minneapolis.
Minneapolis has 2 satellite stations (KCCO & KCCW) and those are O&O too (but they only carry WCCO)

There are some other stations owned by CBS that are not CBS stations
list
http://www.rabbitears.info/search.php?request=owner_search&owner=CBS Corporation

All the major markets.......this may get ugly.

Our dma had 8 weeks worth of local channel disputes last fall that had cbs & nbc off the air.

On the retail side we stayed busy switching people to D*. I have friends that work for the local hsp & Mastec. They stayed absolutely slammed during that time.

You take 50+ installers & them having 4-7+ jobs a piece. Most of which were switching from E*, that adds up pretty darn quick. Not counting what ever retailers did as well.

I bet the numbers were staggering & we're a small dma ranked 97.

There is no doubt in my mind if this dispute results in the loss of cbs. Dish will take a serious hit with sub loss.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts