CBS stations return to DISH

CBS should look at what direction sat and cable sub counts are moving in and realize they've throttled the golden goose, it's out of eggs, and it's about to cr-- all over.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Yeah in Detroit our CBS and CW stations are O&Os by CBS but luckily, their OTA signals are very strong. I don't have Dish anymore but since those two stations are not watched heavily in Detroit, I wouldn't expect very little to no subs leaving Dish in this market because of this dispute.

Yeah in Detroit our CBS and CW stations are O&Os by CBS but luckily, their OTA signals are very strong. I don't have Dish anymore but since those two stations are not watched heavily in Detroit, I wouldn't expect very little to no subs leaving Dish in this market because of this dispute.

Actually in the Detroit area both channels are weaker than their counter parts

I noticed that also on the dish site. I was wondering why showtime is missing. I thought that cbs and showtime were different entities. I thought showtime networks covered showtime, the movie channel, flix, and smithsonian channel and cbs covered cbs, the cw, cbs college sports, and tv guide network (now TVGN)

Showtime was from Viacom and put under the CBS umbrella when the Viacom/CBS were spined-off as separate companies.

Reactions: Nominal
This might be a problem for apartment-dwellers in these markets who can't install OTA antennae.

If someone lives in an area with a decent ota signal, the new flat indoor antennas will work great. I recently moved and my new home didn't have an outside ota antenna installed. I bought the middle-grade flat antenna from Amazon and easily pick-up the same channels I received with the roof-top antenna I had at my old home.

Reactions: ibanez_ax
The cable and satellite companies are doing the OTA networks a favor by carrying their signal. When CBS quits running 15 minutes worth of commercials every hour, that's when I would agree they should be paid for their programming.
You could also make the argument OTA networks are doing Dish & Direct a favor by allowing themselves to be carried. If it wasn't for LiL, DBS service wouldn't have exploded and folks would have stayed with cable. :) And you'll never convince me Dish isn't making money off the locals.

The last time CBS decided to pull its O&O's off of Dish was also during NFL season, and so many people were PO'd, Congress was overwhelmed with constituents DEMANDING they do something about getting their local CBS station for, mostly, NFL. That was when Mel Karmazan was in charge of CBS. Congress did hold hearings with both Mel and Charlie testifying, but in the end Congress seemed more irritated with CBS for its pursuit of maximum money without considering their audience and the fact that they are a BROADCASTER with a FREE license to broadcast over the public airwaves with obligations to the public that Pay-TV channels don't have, and with the warning that if CBS and Dish could not come to agreement, Congress would seek legislative action on the industry, and it was clear from the remarks that it would be to the broadcast networks' disadvantage.

If Les is smarter than he has been of late, he would be a fool to pull his O&O's during NFL, but Les is ruled by avarice, so look form Les to inflict more damage on CBS than on Dish. Further, during the TW take down of CBS O&O, his O&O's local newscasts were decimated while the competition's local news ratings soared. Local news in those big markets are BIG MONEY. Frankly, CBS needs Dish or any of the MVPD's more than the MVPD's need CBS, and a take down of CBS from Dish could seriously revive the recently proposed local broadcast a la carte legislation. Personally, I think the local broadcast a la carte proposed legislation is a great solution: the broadcasters would decide IF they want to charge each subscriber for access to that local station, and the broadcaster sets the price. The MVPD's would make NO money from this arrangement. The MVPD's would simply pass along the entire fee to the broadcasters. Let's face it, no broadcaster would DARE charge on Penney for access via an MVPD, they way it ought to be since WE THE PEOPLE OWN those licenses. Of course, a few brave broadcasters may experiment with a fee, and perhaps the market would agree to it, but the nice thing is that the MVPD's are totally OUT of it, and the broadcaster have full control as to who will have access, paid or not.

Of course, Les would immediately negotiate a "reasonable" carriage agreement with Dish long before he gives Congress a chance to even introduce such broadcaster a la carte legislation, so we are unlikely to see any change with the current LIL payment model.

Reactions: ChadT41
Interesting. Do you have any reading material you can pass along with that. I would love to read up on it more.

If Les is smarter than he has been of late, he would be a fool to pull his O&O's during NFL, but Les is ruled by avarice, so look form Les to inflict more damage on CBS than on Dish. Further, during the TW take down of CBS O&O, his O&O's local newscasts were decimated while the competition's local news ratings soared. Local news in those big markets are BIG MONEY.

And yet CBS still doesn't do any local news on TV in Detroit (since CBS and Fox switched stations in 1994) because they can't seem to compete with the other big 3 stations here that do local news. All of their news resources here are tied to WWJ-AM radio.

The MVPD's would make NO money from this arrangement.
That's what messed things up to start with IMO. MVPD's (at least Dish) charged extra for locals when they first started LiL. Broadcasters saw Dish making money off of their programming and said "I want a piece of that." The rest is history. If Dish would have raised everyone's rates (to make up for the capitol outlay) and said "locals are FREE!", I don't think we'd be where we are now.

My opinion but not a option today is to allow Dish to import a station into the market. This would create competition and allow for lower cost.

And yet CBS still doesn't do any local news on TV in Detroit (since CBS and Fox switched stations in 1994) because they can't seem to compete with the other big 3 stations here that do local news. All of their news resources here are tied to WWJ-AM radio.

When the switch to Fox happen CBS had no choice but to purchase WGPR TV. When this happened it was expected that WTOL would cover news stories from the South and WNEM would cover stories from the north. Obviously this did not happen. Since channel 62 did not have support for a news room CBS did not invest into the station outside of a new transmitter. Today CBS Detroit is managed by WKBD which failed with the 10 pm newscast. This is why you don't see news on this channel. Also CBS 62 is solely owned by CBS. WWJ-AM is not

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts