CBS stations return to DISH

My opinion but not a option today is to allow Dish to import a station into the market. This would create competition and allow for lower cost.
Broadcasters contracts (with commercials, syndicated shows, and network shows) don't allow them to show their content out of market. That's why you don't see OTA broadcasters streaming 24/7. They only have the rights to show the content in their market.

Broadcasters contracts (with commercials, syndicated shows, and network shows) don't allow them to show their content out of market. That's why you don't see OTA broadcasters streaming 24/7. They only have the rights to show the content in their market.

Yes I knew that but my point is that if competition was allowed we would not be in the situation we are in currently

I think if MVPD's would have given out locals for "free" to start with, we wouldn't be in this situation.

Syndicated shows will air on different affiliates in different markets. So if the local CBS gets pulled from Dish and they import a CBS from a different market, what do you do about "Jeopardy" (for example), since it would now air on the NBC and the CBS affiliate?

I think if MVPD's would have given out locals for "free" to start with, we wouldn't be in this situation.

Syndicated shows will air on different affiliates in different markets. So if the local CBS gets pulled from Dish and they import a CBS from a different market, what do you do about "Jeopardy" (for example), since it would now air on the NBC and the CBS affiliate?

Yes, this happens over the air broadcast everyday and is not a issue Also on border towns to Canada there are cases where shows are overlap in your example CBC airs Jeopardy at 4pm where your local market station airs it at 7pm

Yes, this happens over the air broadcast everyday and is not a issue Also on border towns to Canada there are cases where shows are overlap in your example CBC airs Jeopardy at 4pm where your local market station airs it at 7pm
ROFL. I'm glad YOU feel it's not an issue. I'm guessing the stations that pay to air Jeopardy would have a problem with another station airing the same show. Yes, it happens every day, but in a handful of COMMUNITIES, not full markets.

Again, these exclusivity contracts prevent broadcasters from streaming 24/7. They're not allowed (although some shows allow it, not all do) to show their programming outside of their market.

ROFL. I'm glad YOU feel it's not an issue. I'm guessing the stations that pay to air Jeopardy would have a problem with another station airing the same show. Yes, it happens every day, but in a handful of COMMUNITIES, not full markets.

Again, these exclusivity contracts prevent broadcasters from streaming 24/7. They're not allowed (although some shows allow it, not all do) to show their programming outside of their market.

Again I understand syndication rules but these rules need to be changed. It would create competition to import channels. Keep in mind that most big towns have more than one McDonald and no one has issues with it

Again I understand syndication rules but these rules need to be changed. It would create competition to import channels. Keep in mind that most big towns have more than one McDonald and no one has issues with it
It's not a "rule", it's part of a contract. Station 'X' pays to air Jeopardy. If they're going to pay money for it, they want to make sure other stations can't take that audience away.

And yes, there are multiple McDonald's in an area, but they're not competing with each other. They are competing with other fast food/restaurant companies in their vicinity.

Think of it this way
you can watch jeopardy earlier get all the answers, then watch it later with some friends and answer all the questions right. Then everyone will think you are really smart.

Also on border towns to Canada there are cases where shows are overlap in your example CBC airs Jeopardy at 4pm where your local market station airs it at 7pm
In the case of border towns like this, more for Canada than Mexico, I presume, does the station on the US side really get to include households on the Canadian side in their "market" and vis-versa for Canadian stations ? I know the signal doesn't stop magically at the border but for legal reasons, they probably simply do not factor that "leak" in.

In the case of border towns like this, more for Canada than Mexico, I presume, does the station on the US side really get to include households on the Canadian side in their "market" and vis-versa for Canadian stations ? I know the signal doesn't stop magically at the border but for legal reasons, they probably simply do not factor that "leak" in.

I know that my wife's aunt has comcast here in Michigan and she gets cbc, and global channels from Canada.

Sure they do. Although, for most local advertisers in the actual market, those viewers are of little value. Some stations do sell time in the adjacent Canadian market, in order to monetize unsold inventory.

CBC quit airing Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune over a year ago when that contract ended because, reportedly, the contract would have cost CBC too much to renew.

That's not what I mean. Besides, cable has looser rules when it comes to bringing channels from neighboring markets. With Time Warner in Dayton OH, customers get a couple of Cincinnati stations. The Cincinnati FOX affiliate is one that I know for sure. But, at 8pm, that FOX station does not show FOX primetime programming to TW customers in the Dayton market - they show reruns or syndicated programming. People in Cincinnati watching that FOX station do obviously get the primetime stuff.

When the switch to Fox happen CBS had no choice but to purchase WGPR TV. When this happened it was expected that WTOL would cover news stories from the South and WNEM would cover stories from the north. Obviously this did not happen. Since channel 62 did not have support for a news room CBS did not invest into the station outside of a new transmitter. Today CBS Detroit is managed by WKBD which failed with the 10 pm newscast. This is why you don't see news on this channel. Also CBS 62 is solely owned by CBS. WWJ-AM is not

Oh I know the whole story. I wrote a post back in May to celebrate the 20th anniversary of that deal. http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/20-years-ago-this-week.337128/
I'm just surprised that 20 years later, CBS still hasn't been able to make a decent local newscast here to compete against the other stations.

That is the choice of the stations. We had a local fox channel here in the Detroit market for the longest that wouldn't show many fox shows, but had another channel show them

Again, I see more OTA give aways from Dish. I'm sure they have calculated in the projected number of subscriber loss.

I like this idea. Can we run with it for a moment?

What if Dish (1) fixed their guide issue that puts the same info on both sat and OTA channels so that a dispute and blackout of the sat signal didn't affect the OTA channel guide and (2) aggressively put up antennas and sent OTA modules to people? I'm pretty sure that most of us wouldn't even care if the sat-delivered locals go dark. Forever! Dish doesn't carry the subchannels anyhow, and most of us prefer the PQ of OTA to sat.

Now there will always be some (rural?) subscribers who cannot get an OTA signal without putting up some gargantuan uneconomical tower. But what fraction of us would that be? Dish could say "tough luck" and just end satellite local retransmission entirely, and pay the double-dippers $0. Or maybe they could just pay the double-dippers for the subs who really need that sat signal, sort of like going a la carte for locals.

There has got to be some way of killing off this retransmission fee nonsense.

I agree. I like certain channels a lot but I'm not willing to give up the whole product that I have just because of a channel. I'm not sure what the magic number of my favorite channels to go missing is in order to make me switch. As I've said before, I'm not willing to give up my Hopper setup just because of a channel missing. The Hopper system works perfect for my house and has too many awesome features that I like.

Sure, but at some point there has to be content for your Hopper to record to make it worthwhile.

I don't a short loss of CBS would be a major hit to Dish - but the constant drip drip drip of disputes (ESPN / ABC for the longest time, AMC, CNN / TCM, now perhaps TBS / TNT and CBS) can't be helping Dish. Being known as the provider that always drops channels can't be a good thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)