CBS stations return to DISH

Reactions: whitewolf8214
I see where CBS is not carrying the President's speech tonight. I guess they can't handle two disputes at one time.
None of the networks are. Locals have the discretion to do so. One of ours (NBC affiliate) did.

Depends on the cable system. It appears that more and more are moving to digital-only. My parents have Time Warner and have a pretty basic package and a couple of months ago, TW moved more and more channels to digital feed and require a (free) converter box.

Have you ever connected your cable feed to your TV and did a full channel (digital) scan ? In the past, if you didn't do a digital scan, you'd only get the analog channel, like "5". If you include digital channels, you'd get QAM channels, which would be "5-1", "5-2", "12-1", and so on (those channel numbers are made up and not specifically for your area).

I used to be able to connect directly to the TV and got everything in HD (even a few channels that went beyond basic) as well as the sub channels. Then Comcrap required the free converter you mentioned and it is in SD and limited channels. The real reason I asked was because I was looking for a way to use the Dish DVR. I don't mind switching to basic cable for the locals feed but I usually watch stuff at a later time. With no DVR on the basic cable I'd have to watch live.

I used to be able to connect directly to the TV and got everything in HD (even a few channels that went beyond basic) as well as the sub channels. Then Comcrap required the free converter you mentioned and it is in SD and limited channels. The real reason I asked was because I was looking for a way to use the Dish DVR. I don't mind switching to basic cable for the locals feed but I usually watch stuff at a later time. With no DVR on the basic cable I'd have to watch live.
All of Comcast is QAM and the Dish receivers can not decode that. They are ATSC only....

All of Comcast is QAM and the Dish receivers can not decode that. They are ATSC only....

This is an unfortunate situation to say the least.. Pretty much all TVs today can decode QAM and a number of other devices.. Somebody should have come up
with a decoder that plugs into something like the 722K OTA slot on the back of receiver.. I would be in pig heaven if I was able to record QAM off cable as I can't
get OTA.....
Gerry

Reactions: TheKrell
This is an unfortunate situation to say the least.. Pretty much all TVs today can decode QAM and a number of other devices.. Somebody should have come up
with a decoder that plugs into something like the 722K OTA slot on the back of receiver.. I would be in pig heaven if I was able to record QAM off cable as I can't
get OTA.....
Gerry

This is true to a point. Comcast in crips all of their channels including locals in some areas. The cable card will not work with the inscription system they are changing over to.

The fact that Dish builds their receiver to have OTA as an option, not to mention record them, is pretty unique, isn't it? I think you can do that with DirecTV received though I'm not certain. I'm much more certain that no cable set-tops have any such option (not counting TiVo).

You're asking Dish to include the ability to also integrate their competition's service into their boxes....

For what it's worth, odds are that the OTA modules (Broadcom based) can in fact decode QAM, but Dish doesn't enable it.

The fact that Dish builds their receiver to have OTA as an option, not to mention record them, is pretty unique, isn't it? I think you can do that with DirecTV received though I'm not certain. I'm much more certain that no cable set-tops have any such option (not counting TiVo).

You're asking Dish to include the ability to also integrate their competition's service into their boxes....

For what it's worth, odds are that the OTA modules (Broadcom based) can in fact decode QAM, but Dish doesn't enable it.

I believe that you are correct because in one of the menus on the 722K it says QAM (and something else) but that button is gray'd out....

The fact that Dish builds their receiver to have OTA as an option, not to mention record them, is pretty unique, isn't it? I think you can do that with DirecTV received though I'm not certain.
They require a separate box, the AM 21.

Ok so according to the article about the Turner channels coming back we may lose CBS

Separately, Dish remains in negotiations with another major programming provider, CBS Corp. (CBS)
Dish's deal to carry CBS was set to expire on Thursday, but the two sides agreed to a short-term extension, so no programming interruption has occurred.

After Turner's announcement on Friday, CBS said there was no update on its negotiations.

That would be funny for sure!

I saw a "Dish may drop CBS" commercial today on WCCO 4 (Minneapolis CBS O&O). Funny thing is I was watching it on Directv (at my moms)

Short Extension up tomorrow-(tuesday)? There were some conflicting reports as to when the Extension was up with some saying no date and others saying 5 days which ends tomorrow..
Has anyone seen any updated info of late?
Thanks, Gerry

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)