CBS stations return to DISH

Not in NYC..but NYC metro extends into Pennsylvania.. LA is huge too..I mean NYC viewing area not NYC

Someone needs to look up the definition of "Most people", "Metro and Suburban areas" versus everyone, and Designated Marketing Area (DMA).

Now I need to go to the store to buy those HD sunglasses I keep hearing about on TV

BS. A $30 indoor antenna is all that is needed in most metro and suburban areas..anywhere within 30 miles of a transmission tower. Is it as "maintenance free" as a cable/satellite hook up? Maybe not. One may have to adjust the antenna to receive one channel or another. But if I can receive channels from two markets (Over two dozen channel with sub-channels) with a $30 powered indoor antenna without even aiming it at anything in a tree-filled, hilly area with low HAAT antenna placement, I know it is not difficult to receive digital TV signals.

What many fail to recognize, or even deny, is that what used to translate to ghost images on analog channels (multi-path) will kill the picture and sound on the digital signal. Actually LOWERING the antenna rabbit ears, or turning the UHF loop away from the station will improve reception because it cuts down on multipath issues.

I can assure you that now one is receiving OTA around here on a low cost indoor antenna. Although we don't fit within the 30 mile metro or suburban footprint either. My point is a lot of satellite customers are in the woods/mountains and far from the transmitters. Around here most folks have gone to Satellite, but some antennas remain on some houses, and are gargantuan. We still have OTA operating on real 6, 7, and 12. I am only aware of 1 family around here that relies solely on OTA and they use the antenna that came on their house when they bought it. They get the channels they get and he is neither subscribing to satellite (no cable available) nor putting up a better performing antenna because he refuses to pay for TV. He is certainly the exception even around here.

Someone needs to look up the definition of "Most people", "Metro and Suburban areas" versus everyone, and Designated Marketing Area (DMA).

Now I need to go to the store to buy those HD sunglasses I keep hearing about on TV
Let me put it thus way..back in the day a large portion of NYC viewing area could receive distants because they cannot easily receive a TV signal..once charlie lost his lawsuit we can only receive NYC stations..most cable companies switched to fiber feeds after 911 because they can no longer receive a reliable ota signal from the empire state building..at least where I live..in smaller metro areas I am sure a 30 dollar indoor antenna works just dandy but unless you actually live in NYC it is pretty useless most of the NYC dma

they can no longer receive a reliable ota signal from the empire state building..at least where I live..in smaller metro areas I am sure a 30 dollar indoor antenna works just dandy but unless you actually live in NYC it is pretty useless most of the NYC dma

I will tell that to my cousin who lives in manhattan on a low floor and uses a PAPER CLIP stuck into the RF antenna jack (no joke) to receive local channels OTA that he's not able to receive locals in NYC reliably.

I will tell that to my cousin who lives in manhattan on a low floor and uses a PAPER CLIP stuck into the RF antenna jack (no joke) to receive local channels OTA that he's not able to receive locals in NYC reliably.
I agree but let him try and pickup a vhf channel..the big tall skyscrapers played havoc with the old vhf analog signals to the point that most stations built UHF repeaters which disappeared after cable became popular

Fiance just texted me that CBS is blacked out (Boston Market), and it is displaying something about CBS being unreasonable. So I guess they really did not extend.

It would probably be cheaper to send OtA modules and apply a credit. Those out of OTA range probably will not have decent streaming speed and caps also.

But most of the last recent episodes of shows are on the CBS website for free.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)