CBS stations return to DISH

Which one, that applies to so many channels these days :)

I can honestly say I was not surprised an agreement was reached. I have always thought DISH needed CBS. (As opposed to CNN) I was surprised when they went dark not that they came back so soon. I also think this is one of the few times DISH blinked.
However it's like an negotiated labor contract you have to look at the whole package not just one element of it.

ALSO - Scott was vindicated! They were indeed very close.

Reactions: satjay
i'm glad Dish restored KTVT CBS 11, KXTA 21 and all other CBS O&O stations and reached a new agreement, but this will be bad for the consumers like us as the rates will clearly go up and we will get it up the A** unlubed.

i bet you money they both cave under the pressure of the biggest power house conference in all of college sport, The Southeastern Conference

as think about, the SEC championship game will air on CBS today and this game will determine if SEC's only hope for a National championship in College Football's first playoff the University of Alabama Crimson Tide will try to fight for their spot in the top 4. and had the blackout lasted longer, people would had missed the game that set up one spot of the 4 teams to make the first ever College Football Playoffs which also features Big XII's TCU, ACC"s Florida State and Pac-12's Oregon going for a spot in College Football Playoffs.

Reactions: EricfromTx
I wish Dish held out longer. I had all my OTA timers set, It is a shame Dish has to lead in keeping retransmission fees down and that causes disputes and outages for their customers, and is why I applaud their efforts. On the flipside, I am very disappointed they used autohop as a bargaining chip.

Here's a guess based on the final results. DISH tells CBS no way we are giving you what you want (Reported rise from 59 cents per subscriber to $2) CBS says so make us an offer. DISH says we have to be able to show something for an increase. Lower your asking price to X amount, to make up the rest we will carry Smithsonian. In addition we agree on digital rights. CBS says ok we are close. Don't allow auto skip for 7 days. DISH agrees.
Somewhere in there CBSSN came into the discussion, maybe to be carried in all packages. That was the sticking point.

In the end the cost does go up perhaps about as much as CBS wanted, but DISH can now show something for it, an additional HD channel, some other channels already carried in SD now in HD, and the online access to Showtime.

Did we finally settle on the 7 days autohop? Everything I saw always said for the c7 period, or something like that, but I never saw anything official that that had meant a 7 day wait. I know it makes sense, but that wouldn't be the first time something that makes sense wasn't the case.

Ya that's a 7 day period for someone to watch what they recorded on a DVR. Actually more specifically to have a chance to see the commercials. CBS has been pushing for an increase from C3 to get the ratings . they feel enough people will watch a show beyond the three days from recording.

Reactions: ChadT41
http://about.dish.com/press-release/programming/cbs-and-dish-reach-content-carriage-agreement

Dish press release saying they have an agreement. ABC's 3 day autohop not good enough for CBS who gets 7days... I wonder if ABC has a favored nations clause on the autohop?

Showtime Anytime coming to Dish too...

Dish gets their TV everywhere rights too.

So, less than 12 hour blackout?
CBS has C7 agreements in place with media buyers (or at least with GroupM and many of its clients, but not all) so Les has no choice but to require Dish to delay Auto-hop for 7 days, otherwise CBS would be in a mess with with at least GroupM who represent about 30% of the advertisers. It is fair and proper for Dish to agree to disable Auto-hop for 7 days for CBS. However, other media buyers aren't going for C7, for obvious reasons (having to money beyond the 7 days), and some don't like C7 especially if the ads are time sensitive like movie openings and promotion of sales at store, etc.

ABC has C3 agreements (still the industry norm), so their issue was Auto-hop being disabled for 3 days. However, more broadcasters have struck C7 deals, and there is even talk of pushing for C30, if you can believe that. The issue for ABC is if they manage to strike a C7 deal with even just one client in the near future, they will have to live with Auto-hop being active after the 3rd day, until the next contract negotiation when they will surely demand Auto-hop disabled for 7 days. But Dish subscribers do not represent the vast majority of TV viewers, so not much of a loss there, but broadcasters want to be able to tell media buyers who may accept a C7 window deal that even Dish's Auto-hop won't be enabled until after the 7the day.

I believe Fox and NBC also have some C7 window deals, but none at ABC, yet.

Deal with it. The bubble is at its maximum pressure and is about to burst. More disputes, more dropped channels (or never picked up), are going to happen with many different providers. These things will have to happen to start the change in landscape that is long overdue.

I agree

The price increases can't continue. There is a point where the market won't support it any longer.

People are flip flopping providers and taking advantage of promotional pricing just to get them where they should have been all along.

What ever happened to $19.99 and $29.99 being an everyday non-promotional price

...so does anyone when Showtime Anytime starts. That's the only thing I care about.
As for the autohop 7 day delay...why can't you just record the program you care about when it airs and just FF manually???

One. Because we are spoiled rotten. As for the showtime, none of us know. My wuestion. Are we getting showtime on demand?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)