CBS stations return to DISH

If this is real(I don't think so, but just to make sure it is understood by all who reads it), Autohop is not disabled. It is delayed.

Autohop is disabled? Does that mean I'm going to have to manually press the skip ahead 30 secs key by hand for every commercial????

I'm gonna have to drop Dish now.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418010021.044304.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Autohop is disabled? Does that mean I'm going to have to manually press the skip ahead 30 secs key by hand for every commercial????

I'm gonna have to drop Dish now.

Hey, you gave Mitch a reason to get his $5 credits from Dish now. Just call and complain that your Autohop has been altered.

Why still works great on the other 3 networks. ;)

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!
Yea on a 3 day delay for Abc,and you know when Nbc and Fox come up for renewal they will certainly ask for 7 day delay just as Cbs did.I was being somewhat facetious,but the fact of the matter is,autohop ain't what she used to be.Dish has really weakened thier leverage by giving Cbs 7 day delay.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Yea on a 3 day delay for Abc
My ABC programming doesn't have a 3-day Autohop delay. It appears that CBS programming might though.... With ABC, the delay is only from stations that ABC owns; with CBS, it appears that all programming will be affected.

I said it before and I'll say it again. The auto skip feature was invented to use as leverage in contract renewals and pricing on the local channels. This is why Prime time anytime was invented. There is also talk of expanding this feature to certain cable channels and I'm sure that auto skip feature will be used once again to secure the best deal for DISH. If we disable the auto skip feature for so a many days you give us a cheaper deal on your pricing. It was always meant to be used this way and the fact we got to use it at all was a gimmick for DISH advertising and a convenience for us as the customer. It was very smart of Charlie to create the technology through his company in order to use it as leverage to keep the pricing down on carriage of local channels.

I can see this being used for the different Cable channels carried by Turner, Viacom, etc. All you have to do is move the channels to the same transponder, enable the software and folder extensions on the hopper and bingo: More leverage for DISH in price negotiations. It works because this companies lose in charging the rates they want for the advertiser due to this feature. I can see them saying : Why would I pay that much for my commercial if a potential 14 million DISH subs won't even see it because of autoskip? This is why CBS /ABC/FOX have all had lawsuits filed against DISH, because it hurts their bottom line in regards to revenue.

I said it before and I'll say it again. The auto skip feature was invented to use as leverage in contract renewals and pricing on the local channels. This is why Prime time anytime was invented. There is also talk of expanding this feature to certain cable channels and I'm sure that auto skip feature will be used once again to secure the best deal for DISH. If we disable the auto skip feature for so a many days you give us a cheaper deal on your pricing. It was always meant to be used this way and the fact we got to use it at all was a gimmick for DISH advertising and a convenience for us as the customer. It was very smart of Charlie to create the technology through his company in order to use it as leverage to keep the pricing down on carriage of local channels.

I can see this being used for the different Cable channels carried by Turner, Viacom, etc. All you have to do is move the channels to the same transponder, enable the software and folder extensions on the hopper and bingo: More leverage for DISH in price negotiations. It works because this companies lose in charging the rates they want for the advertiser due to this feature. I can see them saying : Why would I pay that much for my commercial if a potential 14 million DISH subs won't even see it because of autoskip? This is why CBS /ABC/FOX have all had lawsuits filed against DISH, because it hurts their bottom line in regards to revenue.

I'm not saying you are wrong, in fact it seems to be a very logical reason, but do you have any proof that Dish actually stated this was the sole purpose of this feature? I do not remember ever seeing such a statement.

I'm not saying you are wrong, in fact it seems to be a very logical reason, but do you have any proof that Dish actually stated this was the sole purpose of this feature? I do not remember ever seeing such a statement.
Why would they ever put that out publicly and tip off the other side in negotiations? It was stated in most news articles at the time about the lawsuits that it was created for that reason. In fact today it was stated in the Tv Predictions email I got today , that he too suspected this was the reason why the auto hop was created. He said the same thing : LEVERAGE for DISH in securing the best deal for carriage and pricing. As usual you are free to believe it or not. But it makes perfect sense in why he has spent so much money to defend it in court. He is planning on using it for more than local channels in the future. Don't be surprised if you see new Prime time Anytime folder extensions in the future on the hopper and certain cable channels becoming available with autoskip.

but do you have any proof that Dish actually stated this was the sole purpose of this feature? I do not remember ever seeing such a statement.
It's been repeated that this was something Dish had in mind related to it. Googling it and so far, I can't see anything where Ergen was quoted as saying it -- just a lot of "industry experts" and their opinion that this is the case.

Still, while it may be a reason, it isn't the sole reason nor likely the main reason. I'm sure marketing to customers was paramount, otherwise the hardware itself might have been named different from the "Hopper."

Reactions: Teehar
I'm not trying to make an argument out of it, I was just curious if Dish ever admitted to it. I actually with you guys about it and think it makes perfect sense but I still think they believe it is a great selling feature for customers. The reason I brought it up was to make sure it wasn't just everyone's opinion and was trying to get a little more factual evidence.

Reactions: ChadT41
There has been some thoughts of that as the reason for its creation. However, the Genie has the software capabilities, and i believe that Comcast might be there as well with its more advanced DVRs. I think it's an evolutionary step, but why Dish first? My guess is that Dish has always tried to be the trend setters. It was a good way to attract customers and create leverage. To get that as a fact... well... we're better off hoping to get exact prices on the contract negotiations.

I think it's an evolutionary step, but why Dish first? My guess is that Dish has always tried to be the trend setters.
You can safely eliminate the cablecos from introducing anything ground-breaking, so that just leaves Directv and Dish. I've also read that at least Directv has commercial-skipping capabilities ready to go but that they were waiting to see how the lawsuits against Dish panned out. They took the more cautious approach !

Autohop is nice, but IMO not the best features of the Hopper. For me it was sling and Primtime that sold me (autohop didn't even exist at the time), the speed and usability compared to my DirecTV DVR was an added bonus.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts