CBS stations return to DISH

Hey, the Joey's name could be Skippy and they could use this amazingly awful Australian TV series about a boy and his kangaroo in the ads
View attachment 103195
4ea1ac4dde6291784a22b1d1395d8f8e.jpg
Well heck, they could build a whole channel around this and the like and Dish could add it! In HD, of course.

ADWEEK seems to think the Hopper may have helped Dish in their negotiations.

http://www.adweek.com/news/television/will-dishs-autohop-die-inches-after-cbs-deal-161839
I've said all along that the auto hop skip feature was created as a bargaining chip in negotiations with the locals and the network owned locals. It leveled the playing field and gave Charlie leverage in the talks to get the best price for the locals. Yes it was used to sell the hopper and it is why that DISH wants everyone to go with a hopper now. But the main purpose was to see if it held up in court and it DID, many times over. Charlie was smart to have his company create the technology for the receiver , so he could use it to get the best deal for negotiations. Don't be surprised if the auto hop feature is now created for other cable channels and sports channels etc. All it takes is the software download to create folder extensions for the primetime folder and move the channels to the same transponder and you can now have better playing field in negotiations with those channel companies too. Also don't be surprised if the Directv Genie suddenly has the same auto skip feature added to their receivers too. They were only waiting to see if it held up in court and if Charlie was successful in his negotiations with the channels. You got to give it to old Charlie . He is always a little head of the rest of the class when it comes to new tech and getting over on the other guys.
:whoo

Pretty short-sighted thinking on Ergen's behalf. He can only play that hand one time (with each network).
Not necessarily. He could always threaten to turn it back on in future negotiations if the channels got a little too vigorous with their prices. Each time the channel comes up for renew the deal could be renegotiated each time from scratch. I'm sure he intended to be this way.

Reactions: Tampa8
I was shocked about autohop being 7 days now in those areas. 3 days is cool but 7 days I think if everybody demands 7 days autohop is died.

When I got married in 1966 our first TV was an RCA Table model. If I remember correctly it had 2 knobs on the tuner one for 2-13 the other for 14-83. 2-13 clunked into each channel and had a fine tuning knob behind it 14-83 had no clunk it just spun until you found what you were looking for and fine tuned with the same knob. Of course back then there wasn't much above 13.
I had one like that..My first tv purchase in 1979 was a sears 13" black and white tv. Cost me around $100. I had one of those little cable boxes that connected to the back of the tv by a long cord. The box had these small buttons each of which represented a channel.
The cable system was what was referred to as "non addressable". Meaning, all the channels were in the clear. Each subscriber basic or non premium had installed on their service drop a trap which was a cylindrical device attached by the installer.
Resourceful people figured out that by removing the trap they could get free HBO and other non basic channels.
Cable theft back then was rampant.

I don't understand why Dish, Direct, Comcast, Charter, and Uverse don't form an alliance and have all their carriage contracts end on the same day. Then when a provider wants a ridiculous increase they can just say as a group NO!! We will all drop you and not pay.
100% pro consumer. 100% not going to happen.
My theory is, why would programmers negotiate with such an alliance? They wouldn't. Could you imagine the turmoil a massive subscriber loss would create?

Both... I still say Congress should pass legislation that forebodes either party to remove programming in a dispute until a third party arbitration process has attempted to resolve the dispute.
Given the sometimes unpredictable and illogical legislative decisions coming out of DC, I'd say this is possible but not probable as there are free speech considerations as well as restraint of trade and commerce issues.

Reactions: ChadT41
No more restraint of trade and commerce than is going on now with the bundling and extortion.
However, getting congress involved is forcing two companies to work together against their will. With the current model, it's atleast two free compnies operating to what they feel is best for their respective business.

How DISH Betrayed Customers To Strike A Deal With CBS http://www.fool.com/investing/gener...betrayed-customers-to-strike-a-deal-with.aspx
All is fair in love and war. The broadcasting industry straddles those two emotion-soaked fields, so it's only natural to expect some unusual fireworks in this market. Earlier this month, CBS (NYSE: CBS ) and DISH Network (NASDAQ: DISH ) provided some flashy sparklers for entertainment investors.First, as the contract between the two companies headed toward expiration, they went through a series of short-term extensions. Then, CBS went dark on the screens of DISH customers as the time for stopgap measures ran out. Finally, just 12 hours into the CBS blackout, the channel returned to DISH customers -- with some important caveats.If the duel at high noon drama of the actual blackout wasn't interesting enough, the concessions DISH made to get its most popular station back on the air added another layer of spice.Sure, the companies battled over the rebroadcast fees for popular content like Sunday Night football and The Big Bang Theory. But the squabble went beyond mere pennies-per-eyeball negotiations.

Sounds like a pro CBS article to me. How do they possibly know what was really negotiated in the deal, unless they were part of it. It is all an opinion that leans heavily for CBS and slanted against DISH.

It sounds like it was written by a clueless journalist (who doesn't know how a Hopper works). He/she linked to a Dish page about the Hopper but still said this,
"More important, CBS convinced DISH to temporarily disable its ad-skipping DVR viewing features for CBS-owned content. Recorded CBS shows will only enjoy DISH's automatic ad-skipping technology seven days after the original broadcast."
Some will read that and think Hopper users can no longer skip commercials.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)