CBS stations return to DISH

Back to CBS' recent statement. It's complete BS. They can extend the terms of the current deal beyond the deadline to continue negotiating a new contract (and then retroactively apply the new rates once the new contract is in place). A great example of this was Dish and Disney. Those negotiations extended for months beyond the expiration of the old contract and yet the channels never went dark.

Reactions: TheKrell
I'm lucky enough to be able to pick the thing up OTA. But in general I'm getting to the point where I could let them go. It would suck during the football season, but even CBS knows broadcast television is dying.
I just recently dropped HBO and Showtime to reduce my monthly costs. I'm still under contact for a few more months due to my hopper switch, but once that is up I can see dropping more programming. What that means is I'm a customer that is watching the cost closely and will not be willing to see the cost go up much if at all. If the costs for what I have go up, I'll reduce what I have.

Turner Warns Dish Users That TNT & TBS Might Follow CNN, Toons Going Dark
A word of advice to Turner Broadcasting: When you fight with Dish Network Chairman Charlie Ergen, use a bazooka not a pea shooter. Turner quietly noted on a website today that the satellite company’s 14 million subscribers soon might lose TNT and TBS — a contrast to CBS, which just issued a noisy call-to-arms to its fans who might see network-owned stations go dark on Dish as early as Thursday. Turner says that it also plans spots on TNT and TBS, online ads, a social media campaign, and billboards in Atlanta.Dish hasn’t aired Turner’s other networks, including CNN, since late October. “Efforts in recent weeks to restore the Turner networks to Dish customers have been rejected at every turn by Dish leadership,” the Time Warner unit says today. “The upcoming expiration on December 5 of our carriage agreement for TNT and TBS means Dish may drop those networks as well. We remain hopeful that we will reach an agreement that restores our networks to the air and eliminates the risk of Dish removing additional Turner networks from its channel lineup.”Early this month Ergen said he anticipated that TNT and TBS would be in jeopardy. “If you’re Turner and if we’re not going to carry CNN or Cartoon Network, then I’m not really excited when your contract’s up to carry TNT and TBS,” he said in an earnings conference call. “So we have to be prepared that those channels will come down as well.” He acknowledged that the loss of the popular general-entertainment channels “will be more painful,” pointedly calling the absence of the other Turner services almost “a non-event at this point.”Ergen, who is accustomed to playing hardball with programmers in contract disputes, has been much more timid in his responses to CBS. “We are unsure why CBS decided to involve customers in the contract negotiation process at a point when there is time for the two parties to reach a mutually beneficial deal,” the company said last week when what used to be known as the Tiffany Network warned viewers that its contract is about to expire. https://tv.yahoo.com/news/turner-warns-dish-users-tnt-230711690.html

And how do you propose to right this situation? What can be done to make everyone happy while the businesses still make a profit? How can they make money without us considering them to be greedy?

I'm not saying that your thoughts are wrong but I constantly see people commenting on here about how things are such a mess yet no one seems to have a legitimate way of solving the problem in a way that benefits everyone. The companies have to benefit or they will not exist. They also have to keep customers happy or else they won't exist either. So how do you find this happy medium? I myself can't answer that.

I can tell you how to right this situation, the most of you are not going to like it, because for some reason everyone trusts greedy corporations over the government, when both are equally distrustful, the only difference being that at least part of the time, the government does have the best interest of the people in mind. Our FCC should do like the CRTC does in Canada, neither party can remove the channel, they have to come to amicable terms with one another with the channels left alone. It does not effect the viewers and forces a kind of arbitration on both parties. The Congress should make this incumbent upon the FCC to avoid situations like this from happening, and to help control prices.

I can tell you how to right this situation, the most of you are not going to like it, because for some reason everyone trusts greedy corporations over the government, when both are equally distrustful, the only difference being that at least part of the time, the government does have the best interest of the people in mind. Our FCC should do like the CRTC does in Canada, neither party can remove the channel, they have to come to amicable terms with one another with the channels left alone. It does not effect the viewers and forces a kind of arbitration on both parties. The Congress should make this incumbent upon the FCC to avoid situations like this from happening, and to help control prices.
So what happens when CBS (for example) says "I want $2/subscriber." and won't budge and Dish says "We'll pay .02/subscriber" and won't budge?

I have lost both my local NBC and CBS feeds, I don't have OTA and to be honest with temps below freezing and the snow flying not sure I would to try adding OTA. I won't get into which side is right which is wrong but am a disappointed Dish customer paying for channels I no longer have. I hope this gets resolved soon.

That one he dropped was here in Indy. Will be going on a local's sub-channel in Jan. Can't wait for the probable guide fiasco that will cause...not to mention if it will be a part of prime time anytime anymore.
actually CBS is moving to the main station of WTTV (4) and sister (satellite) station 29
CW is moving to the subchannel (and ThisTV which is on 4.2 is moving to co-owned Fox 59 subchannel)

I've been a Dish customer for years and years now, and I'm really getting fed up with this. I haven't had MSG in about four or five years now (yeah, I know, both Dolan and Charlie are at fault), and CNN and now CBS? The only thing keeping me is a couple of EHDs with a ton of stuff in them, but I'm paying almost $200 a month, and I can get a better deal through cable, and would actually be able to watch TV in a snow storm. CBS goes, so do I.

There is the possibility of an extension. How likely that is is another story. We are talking like it has already happened. As far as the arbitration, and not being allowed to pull the channel, what happens if the corporation says "we don't want to pay you any money, and it's our company that we will run as we see fit"?

I really hope both make a deal
nobody wants it gone in the middle of football, Customers are already upset about Turner stations, and I hope they bring back that also

Nobody wants customers caught in the middle of all these disputes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

It does NOT go back through the satellite system. I guarantee it.

The bolded is key. Without a phone or internet connection, there is no way for them to get the info (ok, maybe if they can "put hands on the box"). I believe that's what they told you in training, but it was a lie.

Sorry, but I do not agree. Those satellites and your receiver/antenna are just like being connected to the internet as far as two way data transmission goes. And no, I do not believe installers know everything about the receiver and its capabilities because that has been proven to me more than once. I knew more about the darn thing than two of my installers. I also feel very comfortable stating that I know more about my receiver and its capabilities than a large number of the CSRs...also proven to me too frequently for my happiness.

Way back on the 722, I remember when the programming info could be sent by satellite connection only. Do not be naive enough to believe that DISH, DirectTV or whoever would not snoop on your activity for whatever reason using the receiver and satellite connection only. I am not saying they do, but to state that it absolutely does not or cannot happen is not logical. And no, I am not going to get into a pissing contest with anyone about this here. That is my belief on the subject based on what I know about computer and networking operations of many kinds. I am an expert in none, but huge dabbler in much. Anyway, I hate the combative tone most "debates" take on online, so I refrain from "debating" my opinions. I will state what I believe, as I have on this, and leave it at that.

Sorry, but I do not agree. Those satellites and your receiver/antenna are just like being connected to the internet as far as two way data transmission goes. And no, I do not believe installers know everything about the receiver and its capabilities because that has been proven to me more than once. I knew more about the darn thing than two of my installers. I also feel very comfortable stating that I know more about my receiver and its capabilities than a large number of the CSRs...also proven to me too frequently for my happiness.

Way back on the 722, I remember when the programming info could be sent by satellite connection only. Do not be naive enough to believe that DISH, DirectTV or whoever would not snoop on your activity for whatever reason using the receiver and satellite connection only. I am not saying they do, but to state that it absolutely does not or cannot happen is not logical. And no, I am not going to get into a pissing contest with anyone about this here. That is my belief on the subject based on what I know about computer and networking operations of many kinds. I am an expert in none, but huge dabbler in much. Anyway, I hate the combative tone most "debates" take on online, so I refrain from "debating" my opinions. I will state what I believe, as I have on this, and leave it at that.
I can promise you, the LNBF that is installed on the antenna is a receive only, it cannot transmit, nor can the receiver, they do not have that capability. However, what they do have the capability of, it transmitting data over telephone line or broadband. Hence the reason that they require you to have receivers connected to the Internet or phone line. That is the reason that you must have a phone or internet connection for IPPV to report back for billing purposes.

On cable, what happens, or used to happen, was you would tune to a channel, the receiver would query the cable system and basically ask, "is this channel authorized?". Doing that, they know what you're watching and for how long (when you tune to a new channel, it asks again, and knows you're done with the previous). Remember how fast channel changes were on analog systems? Everything was "on". Satellite can't do this quick enough, hence why smart cards are used. Basically, every so often, the card has a " list" of authorized channels that is updated on occasion. If you change your programming, it "hits" your card outside of the normal schedule.

Satellite stores the same basic info that the cable company does at their headend but on the receiver. It's uploaded to Dish by phone or broadband.

Cable boxes were authorized by a internal EEPROM in the box. It did not send a signal every time you changed the channel. The EEPROM info was updated monthly by the cable companies head end

Believe what you want, but speaking as someone who has actually worked on satellite uplinks, it is not technically possible to send information back via satellite in a standard Dish hookup (if someone has Dishnet, that's a different story). This has nothing to do with "logic" and everything to do with hardware capabilities.

You can also have the opinions that bicycles can fly. Don't expect people to not question you simply because that's your opinion.

Watched NCIS last evening and noticed CBS running spots about CBS and Showtime being removed and giving a number to call to show support for keeping them on. That's usually a sign of a deadlock.