CBS stations return to DISH

2 extensions to avoid blackouts, i wonder if the third time will be a charm for ether a new long term deal or a blackout of CBS owned channels.

The Disney extension lasted months. There's no reason why these negotiations and extensions couldn't last just as long. It all comes down to the willingness of the parties to work together and not hold consumers hostage.

Tells me they can't be that far apart, and neither wants the headache of having CBS channels off of DISH. Dropping a non watched channel like CNN and the others from Turner that were dropped is one thing, but CBS really is the most watched network channel. Rarely would I say this but unless prone to set up an antenna or already have one, I can see people scrambling to switch if they can't watch NCIS. To put it in perspective, CBS has just a little less viewers than DISH has subscribers. (Almost 11 million viewers) There are few battles DISH can win but then lose the war and in the long run, this is one of them.

Tells me they can't be that far apart, and neither wants the headache of having CBS channels off of DISH. Dropping a non watched channel like CNN and the others from Turner that were dropped is one thing, but CBS really is the most watched network channel. Rarely would I say this but unless prone to set up an antenna or already have one, I can see people scrambling to switch if they can't watch NCIS. To put it in perspective, CBS has just a little less viewers than DISH has subscribers. (Almost 11 million viewers) There are few battles DISH can win but then lose the war and in the long run, this is one of them.
They also have the Big Bang Theory which is the # 1 rated sitcom on tv also.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
They also have the Big Bang Theory which is the # 1 rated sitcom on tv also.
Most shows are now on a "winter break", since November Sweeps have ended. My guess is they extended through last week to finish sweeps, and extended through this week to get through Thanksgiving Football. After that, they may be more likely to allow the channels to go dark.

Its NFL on turkey day that is important..charlie could careless for anything else

Why would an OTA net want to pick a fight with a satellite or cable provider when a viewer simply needs to invest in a low-cost antenna for programming?

CBS accord with Dish extended as talks continue
Nov 26 2014, 08:58 ET | About: CBS Corporation (CBS) | By: Carl Surran, SA News Editor

CBS and Dish Network (NASDAQ:DISH) have extended a programming agreement for another week, keeping the network on the air for Dish’s 14M satellite TV subscribers while the parties negotiate.
Dish is juggling more than just the CBS talks, after last week restoring channels from Time Warner's (NYSE:TWX) Turner Broadcasting to its service while seeking a longer-term deal; Dish also has a contract deadline looming next week with Comcast’s (CMCSA, CMCSK) SportsNet regional sports network.
Negotiations have become more complicated as discussions go beyond price to include streaming rights to computers and mobile devices, DirecTV CEO Mike White says.
http://seekingalpha.com/news/2149285-cbs-accord-with-dish-extended-as-talks-continue#email_link

Why would an OTA net want to pick a fight with a satellite or cable provider when a viewer simply needs to invest in a low-cost antenna for programming?
because after the digital transition a low cost indoor antenna will not work for most despite what the misinformed antenna experts on this forum think

Because 80-90% of viewers do NOT (will not ?) do it.

According to a new study from the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA)®, The Market for U.S. Household Television Services, the percentage of U.S. households with a television that relies exclusively on an antenna for television programming reception (six percent) is about to be eclipsed for the first time ever by the percentage of households relying only on the Internet for TV programming (five percent).
http://www.ce.org/News/News-Releases/Press-Releases/2014/OTA-Study_060514.aspx

Turns out the number is even lower than I thought ! Much lower ! Now, that is for people who only use an antenna (a Dish customer with an OTA module is not in this group), so just for fun, double that number to 12% and you're back in the range I suggested.

because after the digital transition a low cost indoor antenna will not work for most despite what the misinformed antenna experts on this forum think
BS. A $30 indoor antenna is all that is needed in most metro and suburban areas..anywhere within 30 miles of a transmission tower. Is it as "maintenance free" as a cable/satellite hook up? Maybe not. One may have to adjust the antenna to receive one channel or another. But if I can receive channels from two markets (Over two dozen channel with sub-channels) with a $30 powered indoor antenna without even aiming it at anything in a tree-filled, hilly area with low HAAT antenna placement, I know it is not difficult to receive digital TV signals.

What many fail to recognize, or even deny, is that what used to translate to ghost images on analog channels (multi-path) will kill the picture and sound on the digital signal. Actually LOWERING the antenna rabbit ears, or turning the UHF loop away from the station will improve reception because it cuts down on multipath issues.

My $20 antenna from Walmart works just fine. And is a digital antenna. Connected to my hopper. Works like a charm.

BS. A $30 indoor antenna is all that is needed in most metro and suburban areas..anywhere within 30 miles of a transmission tower. Is it as "maintenance free" as a cable/satellite hook up? Maybe not. One may have to adjust the antenna to receive one channel or another. But if I can receive channels from two markets (Over two dozen channel with sub-channels) with a $30 powered indoor antenna without even aiming it at anything in a tree-filled, hilly area with low HAAT antenna placement, I know it is not difficult to receive digital TV signals.

What many fail to recognize, or even deny, is that what used to translate to ghost images on analog channels (multi-path) will kill the picture and sound on the digital signal. Actually LOWERING the antenna rabbit ears, or turning the UHF loop away from the station will improve reception because it cuts down on multipath issues.
Not in NYC..but NYC metro extends into Pennsylvania.. LA is huge too..I mean NYC viewing area not NYC