CBS suing Stern and Sirius

minorthr

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 8, 2004
earth
I have to say I find this kind of funny

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-stern1mar01,1,5714300.story?coll=la-headlines-business

CBS Sues Howard Stern and Sirius
The lawsuit says the shock jock misused airtime by hyping his move to satellite radio.
By Charles Duhigg and Meg James, Times Staff Writers
March 1, 2006

CBS Radio jolted shock jock Howard Stern and Sirius Satellite Radio Inc. on Tuesday with a $218-million lawsuit that alleged Stern misused the company's airtime in a scheme to boost the payment he received when he moved to Sirius in January.

CBS contends that while it employed Stern, the host spent more than a year hyping his upcoming switch to Sirius and, as a result, improperly enriched himself, "pocketing over $200 million for his personal benefit" by driving up Sirius' subscriber numbers.

The subscription increase allowed Stern to trigger an early grant of more than 34 million shares of Sirius stock, valued at about $220 million, the suit alleged. That compensation was disclosed by Sirius this year after Stern had signed off CBS' airwaves.

Stern had a financial incentive "to do all that he could to help Sirius reach the subscriber targets by the end of 2005 so that he could receive his Sirius stock payment as soon as possible while Sirius' stock was extremely valuable," according to the lawsuit filed in New York Supreme Court.

Also named in the breach-of-contract and fraud suit were Stern's production company and his agent, Don Buchwald. In addition to the $218 million in restitution, CBS is seeking unspecified punitive damages.

Peter Parcher, Stern's attorney, said CBS could have punished Stern in the more than 14 months he was on the air after he shook up the radio industry by giving notice that he was jumping to Sirius.

"They had the ability to cut portions of his broadcast if they wanted to," Parcher said. "Anybody who wasn't living under a rock knew that Howard was going to Sirius, and that if Sirius did well, Howard would do well also."

Stern began broadcasting with Sirius in January under a five-year contract worth more than $600 million. The fledgling satellite broadcaster hopes that millions of Stern's fans will subscribe to its service, enticed by ribald material that conventional broadcasters were reluctant to air because of federal decency standards.

"There were no secret negotiations; I spoke about it on the radio," Stern said at a hastily called news conference Tuesday in New York after rumors of the suit appeared in the New York Post. CBS Corp. Chief Executive Leslie Moonves "has had it in for me for a long time."

Stern also defended himself on air, calling Moonves "a snake in the grass" with a "personal vendetta" against him.

CBS declined to comment.

Stern's frequent mentions of Sirius on his CBS show in the days leading up to his departure did earn him a one-day suspension in November. Stern and his on-air crew frequently referred to Sirius in code as "eh eh."

But in the final week of Stern's CBS show, he and Moonves seemed to have made up. Moonves appeared on his show Dec. 14, publicly bidding him farewell.

Moonves even said he had subscribed to Sirius so he could continue to listen to Stern.

Stern told Moonves that his departure had nothing to do with CBS but was motivated by his desire to break free from the Federal Communications Commission indecency rules.

Stern battled for years with regulators regarding on-air indecency. In 2004, Viacom Inc. agreed to pay $3.5 million to settle complaints that it had broadcast sexually explicit material, some of it on Stern's show.

Sirius executives have said that Stern's move to the network has attracted more than 1 million new subscribers, boosting their listeners to 3.3 million. But costs associated with Stern and other content deals have proved high, and the company's losses grew to $311.4 million in the quarter ended Dec. 31.

Stern's move has also been costly to CBS. Executives say the company will lose $100 million in annual advertising sales from his departure. In the lawsuit, CBS said Stern "caused it to incur substantial expenses and obligations it would not have incurred but for the deception."

The suit also alleges that Stern has refused to hand over recordings of old shows owned by CBS Radio, and that he "threatened to burn or bulk erase the [audio recordings] if CBS Radio did not let him take possession of them."

The suit pits CBS Chairman Sumner Redstone against Mel Karmazin, his former No. 2 who is now Sirius' chief executive.

Karmazin was an early champion of Stern at Infinity Broadcasting, which the executive sold to CBS. Redstone's Viacom Inc. then bought CBS in 2000 for $50 billion. Redstone eventually forced Karmazin out in a power struggle. He also separated Viacom from CBS at the end of December.

Karmazin has said that one of the reasons he joined Sirius is because the network had lured Stern into its celestial fold.

When Karmazin left Viacom, Stern bemoaned the loss, saying, "If it wasn't for Mel, I'd probably be a telemarketer right now."

The only thing that sucks about this is that we will hear about it on his show a lot, like the entire first hour today and part of yesterday....

Well it kind of plays into Sterns hands. The surge from him going to Sirius was dying down. This pulls his name back into the papers and also gives him something to rally against which he seems to constantly need. He just replaced the FCC with CBS.

I read 3 versions of this story. I am no lawyer but I cant imagine they have any leg to stand on. This suit is just as bad as the Spike Lee one a few years ago. I can understand CBS protecting its assets but huh??

I think there is merit to it. Most contracts like this have disclosure clauses. So stern had to tell CBS every detail of his sirius contract. They are contended his bonus was due in 2010, but there was a secret deal that would give it to stern that would pay it this year. Thats a hell of a lot of motivation to get people to sign up for sirius. CBS is contending they never knew of this clause. And Stern used CBS to promote sirius.

Also there are potential SEC issues with Stern knowing he was receiving stock and him pumping up the company to increase the stock price, but thats a whole different story.

I also think this was CBS's plan the entire time and is a pretty big FU to stern. $500 million is an assload of money to get sued for. And if there is real merit to this case and CBS wins it means big big big problems for Stern and Sirius. I also dont understand how any lawyer lets stern go out and do that press conference yesterday.

Chado said:
The only thing that sucks about this is that we will hear about it on his show a lot, like the entire first hour today and part of yesterday....

Unfortunately we also have to listen to it on O & A also.

It's a joke of a lawsuit. If CBS didnt want Howard talking abouthis move to Sirius when he was still on their stations, they could have easliy pulled him or hit the dump button everytime he brought it up.

This lawsuit is a JOKE.

When Howard Stern signed with Sirius CBS should have pulled him off the air for 14 months. But instead they kept Stern on board and HIGHLY profited because of it.

CBS also used Stern to their advantage to score high ratings on 60 Minutes and the David Letterman show, both shows were for Howard to promote his move to Sirius. They played Hoard up to earn every penny they could out of him before he left.

I have said in the past it would not surprise me to see CBS buy Sirius in the future, I still think this could happen.

Howard should sit back and smile, look at all the advertising he is getting now for FREE courtesy of his friends at CBS. It would not surprise me to see this one settled long before it ever heads to court.

I think some people are missing the point. The real basis of this lawsuit is nondiscloure of a secret agreement between stern and Sirius. Thats what they are basing the lawsuit on. That due to that agreement stern used CBS to promote his move to Sirius which they allowed but under false pretense. Stern was required by his preent contract to disclose all details from the Sirius contract to CBS. Here are some of the highlights of the suit

* Howard Stern repeatedly and willfully breached his written contract
with CBS Radio over the last 22 months of that contract,
misappropriated millions of dollars worth of CBS Radio airtime for his
own financial benefit, and fraudulently concealed his interest in
hundreds of millions of dollars of Sirius stock while promoting it on
the air.

* That on or about January 9, 2006, Sirius paid over 34 million shares of
stock, valued at approximately $220 million, to Stern and his agent
because Sirius exceeded by the end of 2005 certain subscriber targets
that were set in the Sirius-Stern contract. The complaint alleges that
the Sirius-Stern contract provided that Stern was to receive this stock
payment in 2010, but it had an acceleration provision that allowed
Stern to receive the compensation as early as January 2006 if these
subscriber targets were met. All of Stern's actions for which he
received this expedited compensation occurred during the time that
Stern was under exclusive contract with CBS Radio, when the Sirius
payment terms to Stern were kept secret.

* This contract thus provided a compelling incentive for Stern to do all
that he could to help Sirius reach the subscriber targets by the end of
2005 so that he could receive his Sirius stock payment as soon as
possible while Sirius's stock was extremely valuable. Without the
accelerated payment, Stern would risk the decline of the Sirius stock
value. By taking action on CBS Radio's airtime in 2004 and 2005, Stern
assured himself of immediate access to $200 million in assets that
could be readily converted to cash.

* By engaging in continuous promotion of Sirius on CBS Radio airtime
without any payment by Sirius to CBS for these advertisements and by
pocketing over $200 million dollars for his personal benefit, Stern
misappropriated millions of dollars worth of CBS Radio airtime for his
own financial benefit and the financial benefit of Don Buchwald, his
agent, and Sirius in contravention of repeated directives by CBS Radio.

* That Stern also breached his contractual obligation to inform CBS Radio
of plans that might have a bearing on his future. Under the Agreement,
Stern had the obligation to give CBS Radio the first opportunity to
discuss participation in radio projects that are conceived during the
term of the Agreement, even if the concept or project was launched or
implemented after the term. Stern ignored that responsibility, and
negotiated and concluded his agreement with Sirius in secret.

* To this day, Stern continues to breach his contract by refusing to
return property that belongs to CBS Radio -- the recordings of his CBS
radio program that, under his Agreement with CBS Radio, belong to the
company.

I forgot where I was reading today, but they had a 8k (or 10k) from Sirius where this was all spelled out in black and white. From my view it looks like a lawyer at CBS didnt read everything carefully.

CBS is going to LOSE this case and Stern is going to ride the Pick on CBS bandwaggon for a long time.

Scott Greczkowski said:
I forgot where I was reading today, but they had a 8k (or 10k) from Sirius where this was all spelled out in black and white. From my view it looks like a lawyer at CBS didnt read everything carefully.

CBS is going to LOSE this case and Stern is going to ride the Pick on CBS bandwaggon for a long time.

If you can find that i'd love to read it. Because if CBS lawyers missed something like that and it was issued while stern worked at CBS then CBS needs to fire ever lawyer they have.

I seriously need to be a lawyer to get paid what lawyers on both sides will be getting paid for this worthless lawsuit...

Back to the grind!!

From the 8-K filing: "We are also obligated to make substantial stock-based incentive payments under the agreement if we significantly exceed agreed upon year-end subscriber targets during the term of the agreement, or acquire material amounts of subscribers during the term directly and trackably through Stern's efforts. In addition, upon reaching an agreed upon number of subscribers, we will share a portion of the revenue we derive directly from advertising on the Stern channels, and the revenue we derive from subscribers acquired during the term directly and trackably through Stern's efforts."

Scott Greczkowski said:
This lawsuit is a JOKE.

When Howard Stern signed with Sirius CBS should have pulled him off the air for 14 months. But instead they kept Stern on board and HIGHLY profited because of it.

I don't think you can put it any better, CBS Radio boosted ad sales for Howard's last year and made an ass load of money like you said...