CBS Will Drop Dish If Auto Hop Stays

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Of course they won't back down on it. It's the main feature and the very reason it's called a Hopper....

I never expected DISH to stop this being as it's their number 1 feature of it.

networks will say ok, you wanna skip, heres your new cost to carry our stations
you know its gonna happen

Good article. And of course they won't back down.

Yep, more costly in the future.

Luckily most local affiliates are not network owned.

A few of them have already tried that trick with DISH but quickly backed down.

I have found myself using AutoHop less and less lately... I just like pressing the buttons myself as I am so use to doing it now.

Unless the networks win a judgement against dish I don't see autohop going away.Furthermore I don't see how they can extort more money from dish just because they have autohop.In other words they would have to keep in line with what they charge dtv and cable.

Unless the networks win a judgement against dish I don't see autohop going away.Furthermore I don't see how they can extort more money from dish just because they have autohop.In other words they would have to keep in line with what they charge dtv and cable.

The networks will win the judgement. Them losing would only lead to more cable companies copying it for use with more channels and the entire linear ad supported programming business will be destroyed. We'll all have to stream shows with forced unskippable ads. Thanks dish for trying to kill the dvr, hopefully the court isn't filled with morons and makes the right call.

The networks will win the judgement. Them losing would only lead to more cable companies copying it for use with more channels and the entire linear ad supported programming business will be destroyed. We'll all have to stream shows with forced unskippable ads. Thanks dish for trying to kill the dvr, hopefully the court isn't filled with morons and makes the right call.

The same thing was said when skip forward was introduced. Upheld by the courts. Life changes. Business plans must change.

HUH?? I thought the Sling Adaptor was going for $49.99?? I got mine gratis when I signed up..
He's talking about having Sling with any DISH Receiver.

Personally I like a stand alone Slingbox over a Sling Adapter anyday. I like being able to use the Sling software without having to rely on DISH's website to watch if the Sling Adapter is up or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw the video, intresting they have a mini blockbuster at the headquarters, is it a real blockbuster where employees can rent DVD's??

I don't have a Hopper and don't mind 30 second skipping thru all commercials. I NEVER watch commercials.
But you see the images and you are actually looking paying MORE attention than you would if you were doing something like surfing the net or going to the kitchen for a snack. Finally some research on this is starting to show that people who skip through commercials are MORE likely to recognize products advertised during the program. It works like subliminal messages. :) Autohop gets rid of even that! :)

But you see the images and you are actually looking paying MORE attention than you would if you were doing something like surfing the net or going to the kitchen for a snack. Finally some research on this is starting to show that people who skip through commercials are MORE likely to recognize products advertised during the program. It works like subliminal messages. :) Autohop gets rid of even that! :)

Not here, I've skipped before the fade to black and count the presses. Unless it's a non-standard length break I rarely see a thing. The only spot that has a chance is the last one before the show comes back. Networks could easily counter by mixing things up, but they don't - yet.

Saw the video, intresting they have a mini blockbuster at the headquarters, is it a real blockbuster where employees can rent DVD's??
I just asked and was told it was currently just a mock up.

But who knows might be a nice perk for DISH employees in the future (they didn't say that but I am just thinking out loud) :)

I pretty much quit using the Auto Skip after recent upgrade BROKE IT.. Not much point when I have to almost watch the whole first commercial before it kicks in, and then comes back with the show already in progress..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)