CBS Will Drop Dish If Auto Hop Stays

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Dish better have that Over the Air tuner ready for when CBS is pulled. Currently only the OLD DVRs have an over the air option (extra add on in most cases). With the Over the Air Tuner you can get CBS for Free even if it is pulled from Dish.

Les was also quoted today that he no longer wants to pay music royalties for the music played on his radio stations. I guess he thinks the people that make the music don't deserve to get paid for it.

Dish better have that Over the Air tuner ready for when CBS is pulled. Currently only the OLD DVRs have an over the air option (extra add on in most cases). With the Over the Air Tuner you can get CBS for Free even if it is pulled from Dish.

Might as well dust off the 'with locals' and 'without locals' labels for the packages while they're at it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Scott Greczkowski said:
Les was also quoted today that he no longer wants to pay music royalties for the music played on his radio stations. I guess he thinks the people that make the music don't deserve to get paid for it.

I still believe in a time when it was a honor to get your song played on the radio. Unfortunately, payola is alive and well. Hence the regurgitated crap music that makes up 95% of radio and music themed tv channels. Why do people love pop music? It's forced down their throats regularly without much of an alternative on the radio. There are alternatives, but we are stuck spending time to find it. It isn't as easy as turning on the radio and tuning into a specific stations.

Les's CBS owns two stations in Boston that play the same junk. 104.1 which was a heritage Rock station and broke through acts like U2 in the United States, and 103.3 which was a heritage Oldies station, and they killed this past summer. Now they will say one is "Hot AC" and the other is "CHR". But, let's translate. Lady GaGa, Train, Pitbull, Rhiana, (popping sound, more popping sound, more popping sound). The Rock Station was stripped of the ability to search for acts that they liked (originality) and forced to follow Les's mindless drone playlist that seems to believe that all rock music stopped in 1998, except for garbage rock with guys who sound like girls when they sing (Silver Sun Pickup). When the DJs complained, Les fired them. When the listeners went elsewhere, Les decided to move the Mix station from 98.5 to 104.1 saying that people in Boston rather have Sports Talk than Rock. No Les, people in Boston rather have Sports Talk than the crap radio you produced from 2001 to 2009. Mind you the Mix station now has the nerve to claim that they broke through U2 in the United States. Let's make this clear, if I move into Einstein's house, I don't get to say that I discovered E=MC2. You moved frequencies, the rock station didn't become you, it became a sports talk station and moved to your old frequency.

But the record company will pay Les (Payola: shhh it's supposedly illegal) to shove this junk down our throats and then bitch that they want their money back (Royality Fees). :rant.

Last edited:
Scott Greczkowski said:

Yet he wants ever increasing retrans fees. Talk about an internally inconsistent viewpoint!

The people that make the music already got paid for it, albeit a pittance compared to the corporate music rights that get paid over and over to whichever corporation "owns" those rights at any given moment. Add in movie and tv rights, and you have just another copyright system that's horribly broken. The actual creators of the content get very little compared to the owners of the content, usually who are never even involved in the production of that content.

The people that make the music already got paid for it, albeit a pittance compared to the corporate music rights that get paid over and over to whichever corporation "owns" those rights at any given moment. Add in movie and tv rights, and you have just another copyright system that's horribly broken. The actual creators of the content get very little compared to the owners of the content, usually who are never even involved in the production of that content.

Actually, in many cases the "people that make the music" are NOT already paid for it. The way the publishing business works (and that is what the music business is, really a PUBLISHING business) is that all the $$$ the company spends on buying the songs for the artists and paying the writers and all the expenses in producing, recording, promoting, and all the hotels they put you up in so that you can promote is all considered an ADVANCE that is to be deducted over the period of record sales. Oh, and that means they also keep the money AFTER the deductions for the advance as the record has to sell a minimum number (that only the top stars can achieve and then only SOMETIMES) before you are given your 15 cents per record sale.

The only way the artists make the real money is in the live concert performances (the real money maker for the artists) and ROYALTIES from airplay or other rights usage, although the publisher still get most of the royalty fee, but at least the artist will get their monthly royalties check of $27.87.

So, often they are not paid for it, and often the majority get NO MONEY at the end as MOST of the artists in the publishing game are not superstars.

Ok, but my point was that the artists/writers themselves get very little (either upfront, if at all, or from royalties) compared to the corporate owners, who change ownership hands so many times that the current copyright holder usually wasn't even involved in the original production. Same goes for TV and movie writers. The internet has changed that model somewhat, with some artists releasing self-produced (or fan-funded) music in digital format only.

In locations where an antenna is not a practical solution, it is likely that broadband internet is difficult to come by, too. My internet is 2.5 Mbps (the fastest I can get), and that makes streaming a chore sometimes.

Besides, PlayOn (which I have, and love) doesn't give you LIVE network feeds, which would include live network events (sports, awards shows, news, etc.). It's a great "in a pinch" solution, but by no means a replacement for the actual network feed.

Agreed - but if you are looking for your favorite CBS primetime shows it should do just fine, and on your same box and display (not computer screen). In my situation, broadband is plentiful (I live in the 'burbs) but OTA is scarce due to a sizeable mountain range between me and the broadcast towers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts