Cease all SD Broadcasts

inazsully

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 15, 2010
Sun City West, AZ
What?? Yes I said it. Stop all SD broadcasts and go 100% HD. Oh my God! Are you serious? What about all the people that can't get HD? Boo Hoo. Remember all the flack when it was announced that analog would be turned off and we were going all digital? That was a more difficult ordeal than switching from SD to HD would be. All new displays are HD. "D" and "E: both offer free HD for life so where is the cost disadvantage? A few channels would have to convert or shut down but come on, we would all be better in the long term and the short term. No more RSN rants would be nice. Just do it. Pull the all HD trigger.

I talked to all the programmers and they said they will do it if you pay for all their costs to upgrade to HD, as well as cover the costs to upgrade all customers who do not have HD equipment or TV's. :D

We would all love all HD, but its going to take a long long time.

I talked to all the programmers and they said they will do it if you pay for all their costs to upgrade to HD, as well as cover the costs to upgrade all customers who do not have HD equipment or TV's. :D

And we have a winner! :D

E* just has to label all their channels HD!! problem solved!! They have numerous HD channels that show little or no HD

it would be nice if dish would simply provide all the hd content that the 'programers'are already providing for those of us who have invested in the equiptment to receive it.........

Mostly agree

I mostly agree w/ inazsully statement. Thing is 1st step is get rid of ALL MPEG 2 SD and replace it w/ MPEG 4 like has been done on EA. It's time to move everyone to VIP tech. Stop wasting the bandwidth by having a bunch of tps running old standards. :D

I mostly agree w/ inazsully statement. Thing is 1st step is get rid of ALL MPEG 2 SD and replace it w/ MPEG 4 like has been done on EA. It's time to move everyone to VIP tech. Stop wasting the bandwidth by having a bunch of tps running old standards. :D

Since there are still more SD subscribers than HD subscribers I'm sure Dish Network will seriously consider inazsully's request....NOT!.:rolleyes:

Since there are still more SD subscribers than HD subscribers I'm sure Dish Network will seriously consider inazsully's request....NOT!.:rolleyes:

easy stop making MPEG 2 units & replace the ones that are going bad w/ VIP equipment. A 211 can't really cost that much. It would take a yr or so but then they could be done w/ bandwidth waste.

Wow! Did you talk to all the programmers about me paying for all their cost to cancel analog and switch to Digital? as well as covering their cost to upgrade all customers who do not have digital equipment or TV's. And joun69, There may be more SD subs right now but that number dwindles every day as they MUST replace their SD displays with HD displays because that's all that's available.

Wow! Did you talk to all the programmers about me paying for all their cost to cancel analog and switch to Digital?...

You did pay for it... and so did I. Not through taxes, but I guarantee we paid for it one way or another.

...as well as covering their cost to upgrade all customers who do not have digital equipment or TV's.

Who do you think paid for all those $40 coupons?

...There may be more SD subs right now but that number dwindles every day as they MUST replace their SD displays with HD displays because that's all that's available.

That's how it will really happen... one unit at a time. It'll be a slow process, but that's how it'll happen.

Cheers

Earlier this year Scott posted the rumor of 8PSK conversion for WA (first step to going to MPEG4). Looks like Dish put it off a while, probably because of costs. It is an awful lot of service calls for those that cannot/will not switch out their own boxes that Dish would have to pick up.

Also you have the problem with content providers like Disney that want to be paid for both the SD and HD broadcasts of their signal. I doubt they would settle for the HD only payment. They want both because they know they can get both. Dish will have to carry the HD Disney one day when they have something else to negotiate.

Yes and a few of those channels you mention is trying to get DISH to pay extra for their HD content which is identical to its SD content.

Should ESPN News be paid twice for the same content? (Once in SD and Once in HD?) up until this happened providers gave their HD feeds to cable and satellite companies for FREE which was smart since by doing so it gives them a HD home since HD bandwidth is not easy to come by.

Thats the issue.

easy stop making MPEG 2 units & replace the ones that are going bad w/ VIP equipment. A 211 can't really cost that much. It would take a yr or so but then they could be done w/ bandwidth waste.

I agree 100%. The process is going to take a long time but if Dish keeps producing and distributing non-ViP equipment, it's going to take much longer. The time to prepare for the future is now.

Easy solution: Transmit HD only and down convert, at the box, for non-HD equipment.

That will cut the costs of transmitting two different feeds.

This has to be forced at some point soon.

Let's look at Dish Network history before you ask for this:

Dish Network switches over to HD only(basically) Disney asks for more money for their HD feed(did you forget already?) Charlie says No!,so you lose a channel you may like with no SD backup channel to watch.:eek::no:river:what

Think I will label this thread"Be careful what you ask for you may get it,then be sorry you did later.:rant:

I have talked to DISH about this.. They want to do this... the programmers however are not keen about it.

They are already doing it on all of the SET 2 connections - what's the difference?

In just a few short years, most of the non-HD sets will have been replaced. It's not as if what is currently in use is like my original Sony Trinitron, purchased in 1972, which still works incredibly well. Most of the sets manufactured within the last several years, pre-plasma, are junk - even the more expensive sets of just a few years ago, which were designed to be thrown away instead of repaired.

While I can understand the fact that the "programmers, however, are not keen about it," I do not find that to be a valid argument.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)