CEC and ARC???

bwexler

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 29, 2007
San Marcos, CA
Well I decided to delve into the settings on my new Roku TV last night. After I set it up to use CEC and ARC to allow me to use the Roku remote to control the sound bar, which seemed like a great idea, it kept telling me there was no signal from my satellite connection. Couldn't get any picture or sound from Dish. So I loaded some content from USA Network and watched a few streaming episodes of Suits that I had missed. This morning I did a red button reset on the H3. No Joy.
So I called Dish Tech. While I was waiting on hold I changed the sound bar from HDMI1 ARC to HDMI. Dish works again. I hung up before the CSR ever picked up.
The Joy's of new technology.

I am still wondering why the ARC thing didn't work.

You didn't specify what sound bar you have. I use CEC and ARC between my TV and my sound bar in my bedroom, but not ARC between my TV and my AVR in the living room, since the AVR is able to decode the digital audio.

Reactions: charlesrshell
You just had the sound bar on the wrong input, it was looking for input from the TV instead of the H3.

HDMI ARC pulls sound from the TV, HDMI passes through from the HDMI input on the sound bar to the TV.

You can plug the H3 directly into the TV (if you have a spare HDMI input) leave the soundbar on HDMI ARC and choose what input you want using the TV menu.

Last edited:
I've set it up both ways, but I the single HDMI from TV to Sound Bar seems to work more reliably.

My Sound Bar setup:

Joey -> TV -> Sound Bar

Reactions: charlesrshell
Thank you all for the assistance. HDMI to TV to sound bar seams to work and should allow my cable box to come through the sound bar too.
Now I am beginning to see why people need more HDMI ports on their TVS.
This is also why a higher end soundbar with HDMI ports that pass through 4K with HDR and DV to the TV can be worth the extra money. In addition ARC doesn't necessarily support some of the newer audio codecs so you plug your bluray player into the soundbar or AVR, the AVR/soundbar process the sound and passes the video to the TV for processing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)