Center Ice HD

smakovits

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 28, 2007
Now that Dish has added more regional sports HD channels, does this mean I can expect more games in HD with the NHL Center Ice. I know last year I always saw Direct TV broadcast more of the center ice games in HD, but this year I am hoping for much the same from Dish. There is no reason they should not be able to broadcast them all in HD if they have the regional channel in HD already.

Now if we can only get the canadian regionals as well in the US...

A couple of things to note about CI, HD and the RSNs.

First is that Fox Sports (including Fox Network, all FSNs and RSNs that use the Fox broadcast facility) only has the capability to broadcast a dozen or so HD games at once. That is all events, etc. Next year all the FSNs will go HD full time, so then it should not be an issue. Quite often the reason a game is not in HD (HD in general, not in HD on CI) is that other games outrank it. Prime reason why my beloved Kings are only broadcasting 10 games in HD this season. RSNs like NESN or CSN are not part of Fox and thus tend to broadcast many more games in HD.

Second, just because it is available on the RSN-HD channel doesn't necessarily mean it will be available on CIHD. From what I've been told there are two forces at work. First is that Dish has to pay extra for the HD games on Center Ice, so they don't always have them because they want to keep their prices low?!?!? (I don't buy this one btw). Second is that in order for the game to be in HD, it has to be up on both the 129 and 61.5 satellites, so all customers could see it. This makes the most sense as there would be a lot of customers pissed that it is listed as being in HD on the CI schedule, but couldn't get it because it is only on one satellite.

Third, keep in mind that directv will list games in HD that are not actually in HD. Just because they are available on the HD channel, doesn't equal HD. I loosely kept track through the latter part of last season, and in general, 1-2 games a night that were listed in HD were not actually in HD. Overall, Directv had about 50% more games in HD than dish. I'll be keeping track this season of it in helping me decide to stick with Dish or switch to Directv next summer when I move. It could be worse, last season cable had an average of 1.2 games per week in HD (although twice they did have HNIC in HD!). Supposedly this season they will have 1 game a night in HD on cable.

btw - in case you couldn't tell, I'm glad the season is finally upon us!!!

I'll be keeping track this season of it in helping me decide to stick with Dish or switch to Directv next summer when I move.

You are more patient than me. If I don't see something from Dish during the next week to assure me of many games in HD (including the Buffalo Games - which are in HD on TWC and D*), I will be gone.
Not going through another season in over compressed SD.

You are more patient than me. If I don't see something from Dish during the next week to assure me of many games in HD (including the Buffalo Games - which are in HD on TWC and D*), I will be gone.
Not going through another season in over compressed SD.
I'm locked in till the end of November, so I really don't have much of a choice. Plus I like the whole HD only package. Its an option that just isn't available with Directv. I will say this, I'd jump ship in a heartbeat if Directv has HNIC in HD every week. Don Cherry in glorious HD!

Dish does not have contracts with MSG-HD or FSNY-HD.

It was supposedly rumored that they did have contracts. Actually I email msg and got this response back:

Dear XXXXX,

All the Buffalo Sabres game will be shown in HD this season. Contact your cable
or satellite provide to see if you have all the necessary equipment to receive
the broadcast in HD.

If you have any other question please write back.

Thank you,

MSG Media

Obviously, it is available to them, it must just be a question that they don't want to pony up the money for the retransmission fees.

Whereas E* has even failed to answer my emails to this subject, I see the fact basically I have no choice but make the call to D* and get it set up for the season that starts next week.

First is that Fox Sports (including Fox Network, all FSNs and RSNs that use the Fox broadcast facility) only has the capability to broadcast a dozen or so HD games at once. That is all events, etc. Next year all the FSNs will go HD full time, so then it should not be an issue. Quite often the reason a game is not in HD (HD in general, not in HD on CI) is that other games outrank it. Prime reason why my beloved Kings are only broadcasting 10 games in HD this season. RSNs like NESN or CSN are not part of Fox and thus tend to broadcast many more games in HD.

Second, just because it is available on the RSN-HD channel doesn't necessarily mean it will be available on CIHD. From what I've been told there are two forces at work. First is that Dish has to pay extra for the HD games on Center Ice, so they don't always have them because they want to keep their prices low?!?!? (I don't buy this one btw). Second is that in order for the game to be in HD, it has to be up on both the 129 and 61.5 satellites, so all customers could see it. This makes the most sense as there would be a lot of customers pissed that it is listed as being in HD on the CI schedule, but couldn't get it because it is only on one satellite.

Third, keep in mind that directv will list games in HD that are not actually in HD. Just because they are available on the HD channel, doesn't equal HD. I loosely kept track through the latter part of last season, and in general, 1-2 games a night that were listed in HD were not actually in HD. Overall, Directv had about 50% more games in HD than dish. I'll be keeping track this season of it in helping me decide to stick with Dish or switch to Directv next summer when I move. It could be worse, last season cable had an average of 1.2 games per week in HD (although twice they did have HNIC in HD!). Supposedly this season they will have 1 game a night in HD on cable.

Saturday couldnt come soon enough. I didnt realize that cable cos are now offering CI in HD for a few games, it is better than the none of the past. HNIC in HD would be awesome, actually get to see all the colors Don Cherry has in his suits. A game or two a night would be nice in HD, but the biggest thing for me would be when I am wathcing a game and at intermission they show interviews and such and the guy in holding a mic that says FSN HD or the like on it. All over the game they mention HD, but I am stuck watching SD. I like you dont buy the first excuse for not carrying a game, but the second seems more believeable, now if they would just get to all HD life would be that much more grand.

I know at Bowling green college you can get CBC on cable but I bet thats about as close as you are going to get. What about canadian satellites in the US. I know before Sirius got to canada people would get a US sirius unit so get Howard Stern, would the same work for a canadian satellite, if I get a canadian address.

I know at Bowling green college you can get CBC on cable but I bet thats about as close as you are going to get. What about canadian satellites in the US. I know before Sirius got to canada people would get a US sirius unit so get Howard Stern, would the same work for a canadian satellite, if I get a canadian address.

Almost all of the border cities get cbc and ctv on cable as far I know. That is why I keep the most basic packages of cable I can get for $6 and change a month.

Plus I like the whole HD only package. Its an option that just isn't available with Directv. I will say this, I'd jump ship in a heartbeat if Directv has HNIC in HD every week. Don Cherry in glorious HD!

Amen!

BTW, can anyone confirm that Dish will have its one week free preview for the 1st week like in prior years?

It was supposedly rumored that they did have contracts. Actually I email msg and got this response back:

Dear XXXXX,

All the Buffalo Sabres game will be shown in HD this season. Contact your cable
or satellite provide to see if you have all the necessary equipment to receive
the broadcast in HD.

If you have any other question please write back.

Thank you,

MSG Media

Obviously, it is available to them, it must just be a question that they don't want to pony up the money for the retransmission fees.

Whereas E* has even failed to answer my emails to this subject, I see the fact basically I have no choice but make the call to D* and get it set up for the season that starts next week.

They lie, only the home games will. On both cable (TWC) and DirecTV.

Second is that in order for the game to be in HD, it has to be up on both the 129 and 61.5 satellites, so all customers could see it. This makes the most sense as there would be a lot of customers pissed that it is listed as being in HD on the CI schedule, but couldn't get it because it is only on one satellite.

I hope this isn't the case because the Bruin games would never be shown. I wish they would have all of the RSNs on both satellites.

This afternoons game between the Rangers/Lightning appears to be not available on the NHL Network HD. It does however come in on my crappy SD msg channel. Great job E*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts