Certain Channels need to be "primed"

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Grimgnaw

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
Central California
Often when I tune to an abc feed (say 4120 H 30k) on 99.2°W the channel fails to appear until I tune to another channel like FOX (Mo) (3720 H 8703) and then switch back to it.

This also occurs on the 16aspk channels (3980 H 30k) and the very high quality 7 channels (3940 H 30K) on 97°W. On the latter I sometimes need to switch between them to get one to appear.

Once one of these channels appears they will appear ok after leaving them and returning. These are C-band channels. This happens both on my 9' dish and my 10' dish with different STBs and both have Norsat PLL lnbs.

My friend has the same problem on the PBS Ku-band channels on 125°W (12180 V 30K) on his 8' solid dish.

I have done lots of experiments but no clue yet.

Reactions: olliec420
Quite a common problem on ALI chipset based receivers. Not related to dish size or LNB type.

For several years I have been recording the ABC primetime feeds and found it necessary to set a timer to first move the dish and tune to another channel on 99w then a second timer to tune the ABC channel at the start of the recording. If I didn't first tune to another channel, the ABC recording would typically fail. I also have noted that the same problem on the 97w.

If the transponder isn't locked at the end of a motor move, no channel on the mux will tune unless another service is first tuned. The lock problem doesn't happen on short moves where the signal is locked before the "motor moving" message disappears or the process times out.

Thanks Titanium, both of my receivers have ALI chips and your comments are confirmed. My friend has a Pansat 9200HD which is not an ALI processor (Conexant) and I asked him to try it with that unit where his Linkbox is having the "priming" problem on PBS at 125W.

Interestingly I have never had the "priming" problem with that PBS mux at 125W where dish travel time is always relatively large, so it apparently has an additional factor involved.

I very much appreciate your answers.

THANK you! This issue affects my Micro HD and I've wondered if it was just me, and if not, how exactly do I describe it. Now I know. Whew!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: olliec420
Update on priming problem: The Pansat 9200HD with an ARM processor appears to have the same "priming" problem when moving from 97w to 125w. Thus, the Ali processors are not the only ones.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)