CE's for Labor Day Weekend

nah i think they'll put it again in ce next weekend. hopefully..... there are some issues that need tweaking
Like the Volume Lock Option on the Remote Control Setup!!!!!!! It disappeared, though the Advanced Options screen says it is supposed to be there. I love the new update besides that (other than the omission of YouTube)

nah i think they'll put it again in ce next weekend. hopefully..... there are some issues that need tweaking

Agreed. It does need tweaking. Honestly, I expected more than just a simple theme change to come out of this. The UI was in desperate need of up an upgrade, and this is definitely welcomed and nice right now, but I believe it will become outdated quick. And if DirecTV is as slow pushing the next update as with this one, and this doesn't even include anything too major, then you can already tell where they are heading.

I do hope DirecTV reads this post and reads it carefully; I have some good feedback to present.

First of all, I would like to know why they haven't made a DirecTV receiver with built in Wi-Fi. I'm clueless.

Now, I believe the new UI is much improved, but could be better. I'd suggest looking to apple TV for inspiration for a good UI design. And do not be afraid to make major changes! Some people may complain, but we all will adapt and will ultimately really appreciate the big changes.

I do have many small suggestions for this HD GUI that would slightly improve it, and remember it is the attention to small details that can really make it shine.

The Guide and List view:
1) Move all of the content that is left justified (channel numbers, preview box, etc) further to the left. It should be the same distance from from the left edge as the preview box is now to the top edge.
2) Decrease the font size slightly and reduce boldness of the font everywhere in the guide minus the top right corner, and especially the title and information about the currently highlighted program in order to fit more words in the description on screen.
3) Slide the title of the highlighted program and information up to line up with the top of the preview window. (The Smart Search screen got this right.)
4) Add more rows of channels to the list by moving the bottom bar that contains the red, green, and yellow circles down, removing the pointless bar that is currently there. Then move the bar that lists the date and times up closer to the preview window. Again, slightly decreasing the font size could also help here.
5) If you must include artwork for the currently highlighted program, it should be right justified to line up with the info at the top right.
6) Also, it may be wise to add more than 1.5 hours into the view.

I think the little Info screen at the top (press Info when no other UI element is on screen) is quite nice. The font size is about right, though it could take up slightly less vertical space.

The UI element that appears when you pause a show is quite nice as well. Again, could take up slightly less vertical space, but the font size is correct.

The screen saver is small and cute, but does not move in a fluid motion; it is jittery.

Props to DirecTV for making it perform better, in addition to making it look much nicer, without having to purchase the latest hardware. Great job in that sense!

For future updates, I'd like to see more animations, transparent effects possibly, and major rearranging instead of just a theme change. And something needs to be done to make fast forwarding, rewinding, and skipping easier and more efficient. And of course, we can all hope for some cool brand new features that continue to make DirecTV the best Satellite or Cable TV provider out there.

Please feel free to comment on any of the above suggestions.

Congrats DirecTV, and good luck for the future.

Also, they can send out the NR without the. HD GUI if they wanted too and throw the HD Gui back I the CE software for the next week ...
Just depends on how well they like the software they have in mind for the NR and how quickly they want it released.

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

AriesGodofWar said:
Like the Volume Lock Option on the Remote Control Setup!!!!!!! It disappeared, though the Advanced Options screen says it is supposed to be there. I love the new update besides that (other than the omission of YouTube)

That's why they call it Beta !

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

Anyone having problems with the apps loading on the beta (HR24)? Keep getting service unavailable (5). Internet and everything tests out fine.

S~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)