Changes coming to the Protection Plan

I'd gladly pay a one time fee of $50 and no dvr fee than 7.00 a month. Heck two hoppers would save the customer 14.00 a month and 24.00 a month w/ two hoppers.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

dishfan82 said:
I'd gladly pay a one time fee of $50 and no dvr fee than 7.00 a month. Heck two hoppers would save the customer 14.00 a month and 24.00 a month w/ two hoppers. Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Me too

The problem is all the cheep customers screwing up a good thing that made dish re think their DVR business model.

I guess I'm kind of a sucker but I've been paying the protection plan fee since I joined Dish in 2006.

One of the reasons is the last few times I've needed help and had to have a tech come out, I've gotten the fee waived. As in instead of having to pay $15 to have the tech come out, it's been $0 for me.

Do you guys think it's because I've been paying the protection fee nonstop? Or is there another reason it's been free for me?

If you lease the equipment from Dish then why should you have to get a protection plan when you do not own the equipment? I never did understand this. If you get equipment from the cable company they will come out and replace it for free.

Reactions: pickone4me
If you lease the equipment from Dish then why should you have to get a protection plan when you do not own the equipment? I never did understand this. If you get equipment from the cable company they will come out and replace it for free.

I can't figure that out either. It's leased equipment so part of the dish price should go towards it. I wish they would do away with this fee. Now you have to keep it 6 months after you get it or you get a 30.00 fee. You should be able to cancel anytime without a fee. How is it hurting dish if you cancel the plan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you ask me, the only thing we as customers should ever have to pay for is bad cable(if it is their own cable). The equipment is theirs, we have to pay a monthly fee to lease their hardware and we still have to pay insurance to not have to pay a technician to fix it. That means that if Dish puts out really bad equipment, then resulting in more tech visits, that's more money in their pocket. You add up the dvr fee, the hopper fees, the joey fees and protection plans, thats a lot of money and makes that base price not even close to what they are advertising. I think it is flat out false advertising. If you went to Wal-mart and bought something that said 199.99 on it and it had 20-30% more in fees, would that fly? No people would complain enough about it and the FTC would be all over that, so why is it allowed in the phone and cable industry? The receiver fees should cover bad receivers. the base price should cover installed features. If the receiver doesn't work then you can't get service which should null and void your contract with them because they are not providing a service. That's just my two cents, and if I were a politician I would be all over that and win some votes.

Reactions: Stargazer
No one pays a lease fee. There is no lease fee. You are using their equipment with no charge. The fees you are paying are for services, DVR fee, additional outlet fee, etc. You would pay the exact same amount if you owned your own equipment. I have yet over all these years paid to have a defective receiver replaced. (Twice)
Cable does not come out and fix your system for free, they come out at no additional charge, a HUGE difference. It's one reason Cable is generally more expensive, that cost is put into the monthly prices. So you pay if you never need them.

No one pays a lease fee. There is no lease fee. You are using their equipment with no charge. The fees you are paying are for services, DVR fee, additional outlet fee, etc. You would pay the exact same amount if you owned your own equipment. I have yet over all these years paid to have a defective receiver replaced. (Twice)
Cable does not come out and fix your system for free, they come out at no additional charge, a HUGE difference. It's one reason Cable is generally more expensive, that cost is put into the monthly prices. So you pay if you never need them.
Exactly. I'd rather have the option of not paying for the protection plan than having that charge built in to the package price.

Additional outlet fees I'm sure are mandated by the content owners' contracts. They all charge it, except for CableCARD, but that is a government mandate. For instance, you can't even watch Netflix on more than one TV at a time without paying more.

Why is it Satellite tv contracts and fees are the worst? Seems like they both try to come up with new ways to screw over the consumer. However when I use to have dish, the DIRT team here definitely was a big help.

Why is it Satellite tv contracts and fees are the worst? Seems like they both try to come up with new ways to screw over the consumer. However when I use to have dish, the DIRT team here definitely was a big help.
What do you mean? If I try to sign up with Comcast TV service, the first HD receiver is $10, and any additional HD outlet is $10 as well. An HD DVR is $17. How is that better?

LOL. Have you ever looked at the list of fees the cable companies have? All of the pay TV providers are very similar when it comes to fees. What you need to do is look at the product you have and the final price.

So what some are saying is that the cable companies provide a better service because they won't charge for a service, BUT, I pay more for my programming and have inferior equipment. That sounds like a great deal.

Do any DirecTV subscribers here know if they charge a fee for tech visits? I'm not familiar with how their service works compared to Dish.

If the protection plan included free upgrades to the latest equipment every 2 years then it may entice people to keep it.

If the protection plan included free upgrades to the latest equipment every 2 years then it may entice people to keep it.

If you have the Protection Plan then just upgrade when you want to. As long as you qualify, it's free.

In my 11+ years with Dish, I have gotten free upgrades to the ViP 622, ViP722K and the a 2 Hopper, 3 Joey system, all without having the protection plan.

I do not have the higher programming plans either.

I was on HD Absolute until they pried it from my cold dead fingers and now I'm on AT120 with HD for life (however long that is).

I'm not sure why I get these upgrades without charge except that I pay with autopay and have been around 11 years last March.

In my 11+ years with Dish, I have gotten free upgrades to the ViP 622, ViP722K and the a 2 Hopper, 3 Joey system, all without having the protection plan.

I do not have the higher programming plans either.

I was on HD Absolute until they pried it from my cold dead fingers and now I'm on AT120 with HD for life (however long that is).

I'm not sure why I get these upgrades without charge except that I pay with autopay and have been around 11 years last March.

If you've been a long time customer and are good at asking for what you want then you can sweet talk a CSR person into a free upgrade. Basically the majority of upgrades are free but the customer is to pay the technician visit fee. Now, Dish has the ability to waive that fee if they'd like but a retailer can not afford that. We still get people that will pay us the $95 because they prefer us over Dish directly though.

With D is the same price only difference is no $10 service fee, free upgrade every 2 years, and no shipping charges on replacements which Dish does also, then there's the other Premier PP that cover tablets,laptops,computers,LCD,LED or Plasma TV's for $19.99
Or $24.98 with ADH (Accidential Damage from Handling).

But just like Jim I never needed the PP either to get free upgrades, I've got the HR44 Genie and wireless client and also HR24 for free without PP and still on contract.
btw I'm not endorsing D's PP, just showing differences, Since I don't have the PP which is no need for it other than a receiver replacement.

I can't figure that out either. It's leased equipment so part of the dish price should go towards it. I wish they would do away with this fee. Now you have to keep it 6 months after you get it or you get a 30.00 fee. You should be able to cancel anytime without a fee. How is it hurting dish if you cancel the plan?

During my fulfillment days this was a common complaint. I often agreed ( in silence) with the customers. I could not see how a customer should have to 'buy' a warranty on something they did not own.
I consider it a money grab.

Reactions: Stargazer
I see dish going out of business, in a matter of time. They are opening up security systems for homes, iptv, and satellite internet. They are trying to make up their extra overhead cost. They are just going to be losing customers every time they do a price increase. When the ATT and Directv deal is done, they are not going to be able to compete with them because the price will be cheaper. As a Hawaii customer I am not getting all my HD channels and I am paying 162.48 full price. In a matter of time, I will cancel my service with Dish and move Directv. Dish needs to add more hbo, starz, cinemax, showtime, and encore hd channels, sports channel are not in HD, and the ppv are not HD as well. Directv has these available in HD to hawaii customers why cant dish do that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts